Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question EMT school help.

Im geting ready to take my emt school and I dont know a thing about it. I took my FF2 last year and it was easy b/c I grow up around the fire dept.. I guess what I am asking is if there is any reason for me to wory about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I'm not going to bash you for posting in the wrong spot.
    As long as you read the material, listen to the instructor, and be actively involved in the practical portion~in other words be a good student~you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you have questions, ask them.

Jorie
    jorie7-19@sbcglobal.net
    If you want, feel free to e-mail me.
    You can also get alot of info in the EMS forum on here.
    Good luck!
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mcorey323
    Im geting ready to take my emt school and I dont know a thing about it. I took my FF2 last year and it was easy b/c I grow up around the fire dept.. I guess what I am asking is if there is any reason for me to wory about it.

No. There is no reason for you to worry. All you have to remember is this: How the systems work and what would / could happen if anything in that system should go wrong. Once you understand that, you will be able to answer any question on anything they would ask you

Forum Member

Hey,
    EMT-I is a course where you need to be devoted to studing a couple of hours a night to not fall behind. It is hard, but doable. Good luck.

FossilMedic

Default Firefighter 2 versus EMT-Basic

READING LEVEL

The firefighter manuals are designed for a 7th grade reading level.

EMT Basic requires a 12th grade reading level (higher if you leave in all of the medical terminology)

SKILL LEVEL

Depending on your jurisdiction or state testing agency, you may be equally dependent on your patient care partner to pass the certification tests.

AMOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE

More than Firefigher II - think of the additional information in EMT school equivalent to a firefighter training as a pumper and aerial operator (hydraulics, vehicle maintenance, commercial driver's permit, aerial operations).

Good luck!

Mike

Remember your ABC's

Listen to your instructor

Learn as much as you can during your clinicals

Read Read Read! LOL

Forum Member

Default Emt School

Best thing to do is take a deep breath and relax. Remember the ABC's and everything will fall in place. Good luck

Forum Member

What everyone else said.You have to study to keep up with it and pay attention during the practicals.The penalty for a mistake in training is having to do it over.A mistake in the field carries more consequences so if you're going to make them,now is the time.
    I'm taking the EMT-B course myself and learned that the DOT is supposed to be phasing out the Basic EMT and they're all going to an Intermediate level of qualification.Has anyone else heard that or was that a product of my hungry imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    What everyone else said.You have to study to keep up with it and pay attention during the practicals.The penalty for a mistake in training is having to do it over.A mistake in the field carries more consequences so if you're going to make them,now is the time.
    I'm taking the EMT-B course myself and learned that the DOT is supposed to be phasing out the Basic EMT and they're all going to an Intermediate level of qualification.Has anyone else heard that or was that a product of my hungry imagination?
    Eh?

Wow, that's gonna hurt the rural services and communities with low call counts... Most of our calls are BLS, as is true in most places, where an IV isn't needed, or started for that fact.

Don't take away the sole BLS providers... damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

It reminded me of the private Christian school I went to. The teacher would wake me up yelling a question at me. Id wake up and shout "Jesus" and everything was cool.

Same thing for EMT B. Heres the bandaid, BSI-Scene is safe, C Spine, ABC and 15 liter non rebreather. Done!

Seriously- you arent studying to be a doctor.

Forum Member

What I meant was ( if I heard him right,I WAS hungry at the time)that the DOT was going to require all EMT-Bs to be qualified in doing IV sticks.Adding the things we are able to do is a good thing,isn't it?
    Anyway,my class is supposed to be among the first of the herd to be trained giving sticks next semester.

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Eh?

Wow, that's gonna hurt the rural services and communities with low call counts... Most of our calls are BLS, as is true in most places, where an IV isn't needed, or started for that fact.

Don't take away the sole BLS providers... damn.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by BftEMTChick
    Remember your ABC's

Listen to your instructor

Learn as much as you can during your clinicals

Read Read Read! LOL

What she Said!

I am in the final month of EMT trg for the Great State of Fairfax (Virginia), and BftEMTChick said it all:

Read, Listen, Remeber. And never never never forget A-B-C's. Without those you no longer have a patient. And thats BBBAAADDDDD
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thumbs up Good luck

I wish you really good luck with the emt course
    Firefighters are beneficial to every community with the wealth of information they have!

They don't get enough praise, for the information and skills they know! It could save your life one day!!!!!

Thread Information