MembersZone Subscriber

Default Truth or Rumor for FDNY guys

I heard a RUMOR.......a RUMOR......that in an effort to bring central air into some of FDNY's fire houses, they will have to take out the poles to make room for new HVAC units......any truth to this.

Forum Member

sounds like another one to add to the overall everything vs. tradition section

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    I heard a RUMOR.......a RUMOR......that in an effort to bring central air into some of FDNY's fire houses, they will have to take out the poles to make room for new HVAC units......any truth to this.
    Only in a few cases, mostly single older single Engine firehouses it is possible 1 or 2 pole(s) have been removed durring renovations because the city is too cheap to do it the correct way. You have to remember most Single Engine Firehouses were originally built with up to 7 poles (3-1st to 2nd floor/ 2or3 2nd to 3rd floor and even one to the top of the hose tower.)

Over the years they have been removed due to storage or having to fit more appratus on the floor etc. However I only know of 2 or 3 houses (all special exceptions &/or in outlying areas) that don't have poles.

So to some degree it is true that in some houses they have removed "a" pole. However I have been in many renovated houses and they all still have the majority if not all poles they had before renovations. They are not removing them entirely.

FTM-PTB

(PS-This is how this architect who has the current contract decided to do it...the next one might not do the same.)
    Last edited by FFFRED; 11-08-2005 at 02:13 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Fred
    Last edited by ehs7554; 11-08-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Forum Member

Wasn't there this huge debate over safety issues concerning poles in firehouses across the US? Something about how they only save a few seconds as opposed to stairs, and weren't worth the risk.
    Montgomery Township Vol. Co. #1
    Station 45, Belle Mead, NJ

Franklin District #2 Fire
    Station 35, Griggstown, NJ

Forum Member

I dont know...but I can tell you Ive fallen down a lot more stairs than pole holes.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce151
    Wasn't there this huge debate over safety issues concerning poles in firehouses across the US? Something about how they only save a few seconds as opposed to stairs, and weren't worth the risk.
    I can tell you that in one house, having the fire pole saves ~30 seconds. In the new house, it'll save atleast that amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default poles

Fire Poles save time and prevent injury from falling down stairs..

Keep the Poles!!! FTM
    -Egg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    I dont know...but I can tell you Ive fallen down a lot more stairs than pole holes.....
    I agree whole heartedly.

I'd much rather slide a pole than try and navigate 30 or more stairs to get to the rig.

Just my opinion
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce151

It is less expensive to build up and not out. With the price of land this is a main drive in the "return" of the pole concept. Here is a link that has references to using poles in the stations. There was also another thread about poles in the fire station, but I was not able to locate it.

http://www.firestationdesign.com/
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BFDLT32
    It is less expensive to build up and not out. With the price of land this is a main drive in the "return" of the pole concept. Here is a link that has references to using poles in the stations. There was also another thread about poles in the fire station, but I was not able to locate it.

http://www.firestationdesign.com/
    I believe FFRED has some info on poles in stations as well as design and cost (ie build up or out...)

Early Adopter

Thumbs up Pro Pole

Quote Originally Posted by BFDLT32
    It is less expensive to build up and not out. With the price of land this is a main drive in the "return" of the pole concept.
    We're currently looking at expanding my department from one central station to two stations -- one in the north and one in the south. A northern site had been selected. Land on the south side, however, is at a premium. It is at such a premium that more than a few of us are crossing fingers that we'll be in a similar situation -- having to build up rather than out. A pole would be a nice touch.

Forum Member

We had our brass poles removed for a similar HVAC renovation. They were cut up, and sections auctioned to guys in the house, with the proceeds going to local food pantries. In addition, to making a donation to a worthy cause, I donated the segment to a local gentlemen's club where I can visit it and dream the dreams of my youth.

Thread Information