FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thumbs up New Fire Prevention Grant - HHS

http://www.cdc.gov/od/pgo/funding/CE06-601.htm

From US Health & Human Services

Activities:

To help insure the reduction in the number of residential fire-related injuries and fatalities in high risk communities, awardee activities for this program are as follows:

A. Through a competitive process, solicit participation from a minimum of two different project communities each year that have the capacity and willingness to conduct smoke alarm installation combined with fire-safety education, with emphasis on fire escape planning and practice and smoke alarm testing, maintenance, and evaluation. Each community should have: 1) a population of 50,000 or less (see note for definition of project community at the end of awardee activities section); 2) a mean household income below the poverty line and 3) substantially high numbers of residential fires, fire-related fatal and non-fatal injuries, and/or fire mortality and fire incidence rates above the State and National averages.

**Note the last sentence. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway: this means you not only need to know your stats, but what the national averages.**

III.2. Cost Sharing or Matching

Matching funds are not required for this program.

IV.3. Submission Dates and Times

Letter of Intent (LOI) Deadline Date: November 25, 2005

Application Deadline Date: January 3, 2006

Explanation of Deadlines:

Applications must be received in the CDC Procurement and Grants Office by 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time on the deadline date.

I attached a PDF I made of the web page so y'all don't have to go nuts trying to get it to print properly.

Again, big points: less than 50K residents, high historical injury and fatality statistics, FREE MONEY!

Stay safe, and happy granting.

- Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been reviewing this RFP for two days now and although this is a great grant, it is not something that just any department should jump at. After my third read of this RFP I have pulled out some pretty interesting and "stringent" requirements that will be imposed plus, the number of awards will make this a very diffcult grant to land.

It is a complicated "cooperative agreeemnt". Only 16 awards of up to $143,000 for 5 years in a row, is a long haul research project, and that is exactly what this is. HHS/CDC will have heavy oversight on this grant and constantly be looking over your shoulder and inspecting.

I would not suggest that any department take on this grant without a very thorough read of the RFP and the requirements. The department selected has to keep detailed records of every home they put a detector in, reports and records on all false alarms, actuals, and tracking of the injuries etc. There has to be a formal exaluation done at the end and a "research dissertation" written and published.

You also have to have a LOI ( Letter of Intent) filed by November 25 and, oh my God, a 25 page narrative limit.... I have a hard time getting two pages from most departments. Whew this reminds me of a HUD grant.

There is also the requirement of 50K or under population, heavy statistical evidence of fire fatalities and inuries etc. The department had better have conducted a very detailed and comprehensive risk assessment to back their application with, if they go after this one. It will certainly require the efforts of a full time fire prevention STAFF to keep up with this and it will most likely be their sole project for 5 years, and that is a long time to stay under the scrutiny of a Federal agency.

I believe they are going to be hard pressed ot find a fire department with a population under 50K that has a fulltime fire prevention staff capable of handling this.

I am really debating whether or not to even post it on my website but, I guess I should, coupled with my comments regarding the requirements of this program to keep on par and performance with it.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 11-13-2005 at 08:49 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a few departments near Indianapolis i can think of that have the population and current staffing to go through the requirements. We have the population well under 50k...and that's all i have to say about that.
    earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

While the requirements are more stringent than we're used to seeing, here are some rhetorical questions for everyone:

Shouldn't we all be doing this in the first place?

You never know who's life that working detector will save. If there were no entrapped people when we pull up because the detector got them out, wouldn't that reduce the risk to us as firefighters with less searching?

Faster notification means smaller fires, isn't that good too? Especially in apartment complexes, duplexes, areas with homes close enough together to create major exposure risks?

Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to market the FD's efforts to the local area and make it known that there are funding issues but we're doing what we can to make it by?

The more under-marketed entity in the US is the fire service. No other organization that does so much good is so unknown to its customers. The survival and growth of every fire department is contingent on its ability to market itself as worth every penny invested in it by its public, and more. The public has no idea what things cost us, or why we even need them. As I was telling my folks in the seminar this part weekend, one department applying for a TIC put out a press release right after submitting the app, and detailed the costs and safety benefits of a TIC to the citizens and FFs. Within a month, the public had gotten together and bought the TIC for the department. I'd say that was a very successful grant application.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FP Grant

Kurt/Brian - some stats on my dept -
    17k total population
    5 square miles
    middle income area -- 50/50 blue collar/white collar work force
    about 500 runs a year - non-mutual aid runs
    low actual fire count - again non mutual aid runs
    almost no fatalities/injuries to speak of....
    all Volunteer with a paid FP bureau of 3 full timers.

given the oversight stipulations and KB's concern's - does it itpay for us to submit?

Our FP grant application can be modified slighty to fit the criteria outlined - we proposed a 3 year program -

what do you think?

MembersZone Subscriber

I should have all the program infromation posted to my website by tomorrow. Read the program guidance togehter with your FP staff and see if you all can "commit" to what is involved, first. Look at your fire injuries and fatalities, you will need to be able to document 5 or more in each catagorey during last 3 years I would think. Also, check up on your grant wriitng skills. This is a complicated grant with up to a 25 page narrative that is much more invloved than the FP&S grant. You meet the "surface" qualifications, now you need to look deeper into the "priorities" that they are looking to meet. If you come up "roses", then go for it but, you have an awful lot to accomplish by Jan 3 and dealing with all the holidays in there as well. A realistic and objective examination of the probabality of success and or the ability to carry out the program for the full 5 years is needed here. It is a good grant but, will be a bear if you are not careful.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

What he said. With the addition of the magic word: assessment. If done properly, an assessment writes your narrative for you.

And I'm sure there would be no complaints on their end if you were thorough without being 25 pages long. I wrote some involved term papers and finals in my career as a student, and I never came close to 25 pages.

Like Kurt said, it's all about meeting the requirements. If you list them out and think y'all can meet them, and you qualify on the other accounts, free money is how I look at it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FP Grant

Thanks guys - the big item is going to be the injuries and fatalities - a few CO related but no fire related fatalities; but we have had injuries so.....

I'll keep you posted - and again - many thanks for the help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Tony,
    One thing to consider as well, is that with the time frame of this, combined with the fact it is FP&S related, you will have alot less applications than an equipment grant. So, if after an assessment you meet their criteria, you have absolutely nothing to lose (but time) and as everyone has said, it is free money, and anytime you can get a long-term grant (like SAFER) it continues to funnel money more than the one year, if written correctly.

Also, the Fire Prevention grants under AFG generate only about 2400-2500 applications each year or so. The interest in the application for this can't be that many, which will work in your favor.

Good Luck!
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FP GRant

Alana - Great points that I will use (with credit given to the source!!) in asking the commissioners for permssion to go ahead.

Thread Information