FH Mag/.com Contributor

LDH yes, training equipment and aids, no. For the most part, smoke machines are cheap now, especially at Target on the after-Halloween clearance sale they always have after every holiday. For other props and stuff don't forget to hit up anyone building houses in the area. The builders in my development have good sized scraps and extra wood all of the time, and they told me to take whatever I wanted for the department to use.

You can ask for the 4 other new SCBAs to supplement the existing group, I've had many departments do that successfully.

Forum Member

That is very interesting about training. Glad I asked, I assumed it would augment a request. I just checked another thread where you explained why in the guidance. In 2003 I wrote ours for PPE, RIT and training and was awarded early. I had help from FETN and assumed the purchased training media was a big help, was it that our the other items were just so strong.

After 2 years of failure in the apparatus catagory I need to get back in the right track.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I would venture yes, having FETN as part of PPE and RIT was a help. Especially if RIT training was part of what would be coming out of FETN. Good tool to have.

Depends on the failure point of the apparatus request. I opened a lot of eyes about that very subject this past weekend. It my be able to be altered, it may not be. Every situation is different.

Forum Member

I am not gonna worry about the apparatus app any more. We finally decided we needed to justify the purchase to our boards and went for a CAFS pumper. We did a CAFS demo and the boards fell in love with it, shouldn't have wasted our time on the apparatus app.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pmed19
    Our department was denied for our gear this year. We are going to reapply next year and also going to apply for a new brush truck. Ours is in very bad shape and if I have been reading correctly since our dept. is rural and have a 3 to1 ratio, brush to structure fires that would make it a high priority for us, right. We also need to purchase equipment for the truck and equipment for our other trucks. So we need to apply for gear, brush truck and equipment. Does anyone have a sample narrative to include all this? Or, any ideas how to make all that into a sellable grant? Thanks.
    Also talk to USDA Rural Dev. They have quite a bit of $ and since 911 targeting more to emergency services area.

Thread Information