Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Default more ???

What are the top 5 priority items?

Our SCBA's can be updated to current reg's, but the cost would be nearly as much as new. Do you have a better chance at updates or new? Will this standardized bottle idea cause big problems with SCBA apps?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by pmed19
    Not2L84U2

We had been looking into that but our Chiefs don't think that we can afford the annual payment. We only get $600 a year from the village, which is in very bad shape financialy at this point, plus our insurance paid. We rely so much on donations and fund raisers that it is a pretty big risk to take out a 20 year loan. Also, I had been looking for this program again through the state and had not been able to find anything for this year. Are they still doing it? Thanks for the suggestion. We are going to look into the other types of grants out there, any suggestions. My email is bucknerfire@yahoo.com if anyone has anything. I'm so new to this you all may know more about what's out there than I do.
    Pmed,

I believe that I read some where that they had already appropriated the money for this year in regards to that program. I'll have to do some more research and see what I can find.

Understand the financial situation. It's tough to say the least. We have a department that had a $7,000 a year operating budget and they have made some sacrafices to say the least, but they have also come up with some very unique ways of funding needed items. I know one of their big expenses was heat and they ended up finding a grant for an alternative fuel heating device (grain) and they ended up talking to the grain distributor in town and now every year he fills one wagon full of grain just for them at no cost and that provides the heat all year round for them. Anyway, just an example of ways to cut corners to stretch your budget. Shoot me an e-mail (can be found in my profile) and I'd be happy to put you into contact with their Chief and he could probably provide some better insight as to some of the things they have done. The biggest thing they did was last year they became a protection district and now they have a larger tax base to draw from. This year I think they are projecting a $44,000 budget. That's quite a step up from where they were.

Ryan Allison
    President
    Illinois & Indiana Firefighters Association

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'd check about those update prices, most manufacturers I priced were around $1K to upgrade to NFPA 1981-2002 versus $4K+ for new.

I believe given the prices I have for upgrade versus new, upgrades are a better shot. Think cost-benefit: for $4000, 1 new SCBA, or 4 upgrades? At the end of it, same features on each SCBA, except you have 4 compliant instead of 1. 4 to 1 advantage in cost-benefit.

As I found out this weekend, Luxfor (spelled right?) makes 90% of the SCBA bottles anyway, with the same connection and threading. So most manufacturers are already within the standardized bottle deal anyway. And to me, it's silly anyway. Why make a costly manufacturing overhaul instead of just mandating people with cascade unit or the department with the odd bottles carry an adapter that costs $20 instead? This sounds like the 10-code fiasco all over again.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would check the price on the SCBA upgrades they should not be the same as new. For our 2004 grant we upgraded our Scott 4.5 SCBA to the new standard along with intergrated PASS at a cost of $1426 each, vs new Scott 4.5 SCBA purchased through the same grant at $4308 each.

If you can upgrade, that's the way to go. As Brian pointed out the cost/benefit is huge. In our narrative I pointed out that 25 new SCBA (only)would cost over $107,000 vs. the $94,000 for the funded project which included new turn out gear (27 sets), 21 SCBA upgrades, 4 new SCBA, & 21 cylinders.

Forum Member

Default thanks

My price included new bottles and a spares. Sounds like the upgrade would help get a few points. We could use 4 more new units, as we do not have enough for all seated positions currently.

Does LDH fit in to priority areas?

How about training equipment like smoke machines and training aids.

Thanks

FH Mag/.com Contributor

LDH yes, training equipment and aids, no. For the most part, smoke machines are cheap now, especially at Target on the after-Halloween clearance sale they always have after every holiday. For other props and stuff don't forget to hit up anyone building houses in the area. The builders in my development have good sized scraps and extra wood all of the time, and they told me to take whatever I wanted for the department to use.

You can ask for the 4 other new SCBAs to supplement the existing group, I've had many departments do that successfully.

Forum Member

That is very interesting about training. Glad I asked, I assumed it would augment a request. I just checked another thread where you explained why in the guidance. In 2003 I wrote ours for PPE, RIT and training and was awarded early. I had help from FETN and assumed the purchased training media was a big help, was it that our the other items were just so strong.

After 2 years of failure in the apparatus catagory I need to get back in the right track.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I would venture yes, having FETN as part of PPE and RIT was a help. Especially if RIT training was part of what would be coming out of FETN. Good tool to have.

Depends on the failure point of the apparatus request. I opened a lot of eyes about that very subject this past weekend. It my be able to be altered, it may not be. Every situation is different.

Forum Member

I am not gonna worry about the apparatus app any more. We finally decided we needed to justify the purchase to our boards and went for a CAFS pumper. We did a CAFS demo and the boards fell in love with it, shouldn't have wasted our time on the apparatus app.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pmed19
    Our department was denied for our gear this year. We are going to reapply next year and also going to apply for a new brush truck. Ours is in very bad shape and if I have been reading correctly since our dept. is rural and have a 3 to1 ratio, brush to structure fires that would make it a high priority for us, right. We also need to purchase equipment for the truck and equipment for our other trucks. So we need to apply for gear, brush truck and equipment. Does anyone have a sample narrative to include all this? Or, any ideas how to make all that into a sellable grant? Thanks.
    Also talk to USDA Rural Dev. They have quite a bit of $ and since 911 targeting more to emergency services area.

Thread Information