Forum Member

Arrow 24hr shift vs. 10/14 shift schedule

I am looking for information on the pro's and con's of the 24hr schedule vs the pro's and con's of the 10/14 shift schedule.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by tinner54; 11-09-2005 at 10:12 AM.

Forum Member

Hi Tinner,

While you are awaiting replies you may want to try a search. I think this has been discussed before, but I could be wrong. You can see what has been said in the past, as well as have current opinions/thoughts. Give you a well rounded view.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well...................

The view from here is that there is no real reason for anyone to work less than a 24 hour shift. Our current operation is a 24 on, 72 off shift. The only place where a very few are unhappy is the busiest Medic units, who catch a run an hour or more. (The FD runs every Emergency Service except the Cops do Guns and Knives. Yes, we do bombs)Some medics like the pace, a few don't, but the Firefighters are 99% for it. One VERY important point. We have, by law, no residency requirement. We want the best people we can find, and restricting the pool to a small area would defeat that. As a result, our people drive in to work from SIX OTHER STATES! With today's gas prices, any attempt to change the shift would result in an armed uprising. (Just Kidding, but people would be strongly opposed to it).
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

I think the 24 hour shift is the best way to go. More continutiy of the work load.

You can get some information on the 48x96 work schedule here-

www.48-96.com

Forum Member

I work 1x 24 1 day off 1x 24 4 days off.

Pro and Cons of the 24.

Pro:
    I get 5 days off a week!!!
    I always get 8 hours OT minimum, not includeing an extra shift I pick up here and there or covering for someone.
    4 of the 5 days are in a row, makeing mini vacations easier.
    If you order out, the food expense can be taken off on your taxes.

Con:
    Were in a city of 95,000 people of mostly low to middle income with a large drug problem. With our MA coverage area covering the citys around Boston.
    You get slammed with calls, you get very tierd......you can get sloppy. Sloppy= dangerous.
    When it rains, It poors.
    Slow days, I swear the clock goes backwards!!!!!! There are some slow nights. I sleep very uneasy on slow nights, cause I know something is brewing.....somewhere.

Personal con is I work Friday/Sunday......with saturday as laundry day. So weekend as they were known are gone. But I wouldnt trade this job for gold.....well maybe gold.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tinner54
    I am looking for information on the pro's and con's of the 24hr schedule vs the pro's and con's of the 10/14 shift schedule.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    I don't work 10/14s although I work a similar 9/15.

Pro's of split tours/two platoon system.
    -If member taps out injured from job(especially at the begining of the tour)...he is replaced quicker at the change of tours as opposed to 20 something hours later.
    -If you work straights...you get a little more $$$ in your pocket from wash-ups, awaiting relief's, OT runs, portal to portal...at least here we do.
    -Creates more spots that need to be filled. More chances for advancement...Larger union...more influence.
    -Lots of flexibility. Easier for someone to get a brother to pick up a night tour or a day tour as opposed to an entire 24 hour period.

Con's

More appearances...thats about it.

Personally I work a little of each. Sometimes though the 24 can be a long....long tour especially if you come in on the night tour...proceed to get our d*cks kicked in, then work the following day tour.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

[
    U]Pro's of split tours/two platoon system.[/U]
    -If member taps out injured from job(especially at the begining of the tour)...he is replaced quicker at the change of tours as opposed to 20 something hours later.
    We work 24's here. If someone is injured during shift, they "re-hire" (call in someone on their Daley day for overtime)someone to cover the remainder of the shift.
    ]-Lots of flexibility. Easier for someone to get a brother to pick up a night tour or a day tour as opposed to an entire 24 hour period.
    We can trade for 12 or 24 hours.

Personally I work a little of each. Sometimes though the 24 can be a long....long tour especially if you come in on the night tour...proceed to get our d*cks kicked in, then work the following day tour.
    FTM-PTB
    Try a 48 or 72! One time my trades got screwed up and I got stuck working a 120 at three different houses. That sucked!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    [We work 24's here. If someone is injured during shift, they "re-hire" (call in someone on their Daley day for overtime)someone to cover the remainder of the shift.
    That must be nice...they don't want to spend the $$$ here. The guys you start the tour with is all you got. IF the boss taps out after the change of tours...and there are no surpluss bosses in the Batt or Division then a Fireman actually rides as the boss!

Try a 48 or 72! One time my trades got screwed up and I got stuck working a 120 at three different houses. That sucked!
    Technically not allowed here...I won't lie and say it doesn't happen. But it is very rare. I did a few 33s and 39s however it was when our roster was extreemly short and OT was rampant. No more than 24 in a row without one tour off. Personally I don't think I could take much of those 72s. 120!!! I would be shot physically and mentally. Not safe for me or the brothers to be working on fumes. But to each his own.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 11-09-2005 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Technically not allowed here...I won't lie and say it doesn't happen. But it is very rare. I did a few 33s and 39s however it was when our roster was extreemly short and OT was rampant. No more than 24 in a row without one tour off. Personally I don't think I could take much of those 72s. 120!!! I would be shot physically and mentally. Not safe for me or the brothers to be working on fumes. But to each his own.

FTM-PTB
    It's not allowed here either. Like I said, it was a mistake. I was supposed to work 48, then 24 off then another 48. The morning I was supposed to go home for my 24 off, a guy didnt show for wor work (he forgot about a trade he had made) I was the last one off so I could either go home and the chief would have to report him AWOL, or tough it out and cover for the guy. Not much choice really, especially since he was from my house. But it did suck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stm4710
    I work 1x 24 1 day off 1x 24 4 days off.

I always get 8 hours OT minimum...
    stm, what do you do for work? Firefighters fall under the "7(k) exemption" of FLSA and work up to 53 hours per week at straight time.

Forum Member

Clancy, I used to work a schedule similar, but the FLSA can be over written if you negotiate it into the contract.

I have to say I used to do the 24 on 72 off schedule and was relegated to the ambulance (and only the ambulance) as the junior guy. After humping 20 calls in a 24 hour shift routinely I was quite exhausted after the end of my shift and was nearly involved in several accidents on my 5 mile drive home. I was trash my first day off, sometimes longer. Could be even worse, since there was no mandatory hourly cutoff.

Last year in Ohio (I think) a Paramedic was killed in a car accident when he drove home exhausted after humping through a 24 hour shift. He was not the first, and he certainly will not be the last. Liability becomes an issue here as well, let alone medical treatment errors. Something to be considered.

There are trade offs all around. I never worked 10/14 but some liked them and some didn't, most never wanted to go back to them (I joined the department a month or two after they switched.)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg
    stm, what do you do for work? Firefighters fall under the "7(k) exemption" of FLSA and work up to 53 hours per week at straight time.
    PM sent. Blah blah blah to make this post long enough to post.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

There needs to be a distinction made between working 10/14s on a 42 hr week (4 shifts)vs a 56(3 shifts). A dept nearby me worked 10/14s on the 56 hr week for the first year they were full time. Their schedule was 0700-1700 days, 1700-0700 nights. Schedule was DDDNNNOOO. They had just gone full time, so the guys were thrilled to have a job-at first. After 3 months they were screaming bloody murder, after 9 months they renegotiated their contract to go to 24s. The guys complained they did not see their wives or kids for 4 days due to wives/kids being at work/school when they were off during the day.

Forum Member

Ive never worked anything other then 24/48. However, I would think that a split shift would be better for REAL busy areas. There are rigs in my county that run 20 runs per 24 on a regular basis and I dont know how they do it. I know I wouldnt want any part of that. Like FFFRED said, running on fumes isnt safe for anybody.

What do I like about the 24s? The two days off for every one worked and the built in OT (FSLA) as we dont get Kelly days (per contract, we want the OT )
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

If you are working a four group 10's and 14's schedule and want to go to 24's. the only thing you are doing is rearranging the schedule. putting your days with your nights.

A neighboring community just went to 24 hour tours, as does most of the FD's in our area. The Town Administrator and the Fire Chief actually wanted concessions from the Local to change to the 24 hour shift. The Local won the right to 24's in arbitration.

My FD works the 10's and 14's with four days off. 24's were brought up in the last contract negotiation, but the City wouldn't budge and it was the only stumbling block to getting the contract passed. Maybe next contract....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

former FH.com member

Our firefighting division works the 24/48 schedule with built in OT as opposed to having Kelly days. Works fine for us and I never have trouble "laying off" and having a Brother cover for me or vice versa. Our EMS division works the 24/78 schedule because the boxes get pounded every shift with 20+ runs.

Forum Member

PHP Code:
    Quote:
    U]Pro's of split tours/two platoon system.[/U]
    -If member taps out injured from job(especially at the begining of the tour)...he is replaced quicker at the change of tours as opposed to 20 something hours later.  

We work 24'
    s here. If someone is injured during shiftthey "re-hire" (call in someone on their Daley day for overtime)someone to cover the remainder of the shift.
    Quote:
    ]-
    Lots of flexibilityEasier for someone to get a brother to pick up a night tour or a day tour as opposed to an entire 24 hour period.  

We can trade for 12 or 24 hours

We do the same here. If anyone goes home, they are replaced with overtime. We can also swap or sub any amount of time. You can have a guy come in for you for 5 minutes, 24 hours, or anything in between.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

We work the 24-48 schedule per state statute. I like it for the reason you take one day off and get five, makes those vacations last almost too long, lol.

Forum Member

Actually I'm pretty happy to be back on an 8 hour day, 40 hour work week again, but I'm coming to that after several years of the Fed 24 on / 24 off, 72 hour week, all I can say is its nice to sleep at home most nights.

I'm curious about the 10/14, if you are working the 14 hr night portion do you have station duties or do you just come in to eat, sleep and run calls? Most departments on a 24 that I am familiar with, the crews have an 8 hour "work day" and the other 16 hours is down time unless they have a run.

Forum Member

the 14 hour nights...

A lot of the EMS classes are given during that time, as well as classes by the local community college for those pursuing a fire science degree. Otherwise, it's down time that guys and gals use to study for promotion, work out, putt around on projects, have dinner and if one is lucky enough and the citizens behave... get a good night's rest.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Cap,

Funny you brought up the classes being held there. I took a few classes at the Marlborough HQ several years ago when I was getting my AS over at Quinsigamond. I always thought that was a good set up to have a satellite set up like that. I know Fitchburg is doing it with Mt. Wachusett too.

Good way to get education and help the brothers out. All for the better of the community.

If you boys do go for your 24s, I say to try to get the 1/1/1/5 like Maynard and Sudbury work. I think Acton went to 1/2/1/4 a couple years ago, it has been a while since I was running up there before I got laid off.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAFD46Truck
    Our firefighting division works the 24/48 schedule with built in OT as opposed to having Kelly days. Works fine for us and I never have trouble "laying off" and having a Brother cover for me or vice versa. Our EMS division works the 24/78 schedule because the boxes get pounded every shift with 20+ runs.
    Yea, but don't you change shift at noon? I know some like it that way, but others would rather change earlier in the morning (at least from the stories I hear from other brothers and sisters to the south).
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Thread Information