Forum Member

Default Considering becoming a firefighter. Have questions.

Currently, I am working as a technical consultant in DFW. I have been doing this for almost two years since I graduated from college. I am extremely miserable working in Corporate America. My wife, on the other hand, is a junior high science teacher who absolutely loves teaching because she enjoys making a difference.

Lately, I have been considering a career change. I get little to no fulfillment from what I do. When I think about working in my current field 20 years down the line, I am filled with a sense of dread. I want a job that when I look back on my life and my achievements, I will honestly know that I made a positive difference on other people.

I have been considering becoming a firefighter for the last several months. To meet this goal, I started working out rigorously every weekday before work for an hour. I have also been looking into the training that is required.

I am seriously considering attending the city of DeSoto Fire and EMT Academy. However, I cannot quit my current job and attend fulltime due to financial responsibilities. They do have a weekend Fire program that is every Sat and Sun from May to November, but the EMT training is only Mon – Fri only. Is anyone aware of a weekend EMT program that I can attend?

Does anyone have suggestions that may help me become a firefighter? I honestly am willing to work hard to make it happen, I just need some guidance. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

You won't be allowed to enroll in the fire academy unless you are on a department.

Forum Member

How does someone get the necessary training that cities require then?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

By researching...

Coming to a website asking questions doesn't qualify as "researching".

Forum Member

i am only 14. i used to live in Everman, which is a fort worth suburb before moving to iowa. my best bet (keep in mind that i'm 14, so i most likely have a stupid answer) would be to join a volunteer department. it depends on where you live. but it's up to you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokeNphyer
    You won't be allowed to enroll in the fire academy unless you are on a department.
    Wrong. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeNphyer
    By researching...

Coming to a website asking questions doesn't qualify as "researching".
    Good job, got any other brilliant comments to add?

There are numerous fire academies in the DFW area. Collin, Tarrant and Navarro Community College's all have programs. De Soto's program is one of the best around for overall experience. There are a few others, NTTA in Farmers Branch and another in Rockwall.

EMT courses... Collin County, Methodist Hospital in Dallas has a night time program, Emergency Medical Training Services in Dallas has a semi decent program.

You will find 90% of the departments in the DFW area require at a minimum a TCFP cert along with a TDH EMT-B cert. Only a handful of departments(read Dallas Fire, Fort Worth Fire will hire you without any certifications).

Good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks irish for the thoughts. I checked out Emergency Medical Training Services and it turns out they are 2 miles from where I currently work. I signed up and will start Jan 4. I appreciate you telling me about them, because they will fit perfectly with my schedule.

Forum Member

Need some more information. Where do you live. There are several different options in the metroplex. If you would like either pm or e-mail me for some information that may be of some assistance.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPage01
    Currently, I am working as a technical consultant in DFW. I have been doing this for almost two years since I graduated from college. I am extremely miserable working in Corporate America. My wife, on the other hand, is a junior high science teacher who absolutely loves teaching because she enjoys making a difference.

Lately, I have been considering a career change. I get little to no fulfillment from what I do. When I think about working in my current field 20 years down the line, I am filled with a sense of dread. I want a job that when I look back on my life and my achievements, I will honestly know that I made a positive difference on other people.

I have been considering becoming a firefighter for the last several months. To meet this goal, I started working out rigorously every weekday before work for an hour. I have also been looking into the training that is required.

I am seriously considering attending the city of DeSoto Fire and EMT Academy. However, I cannot quit my current job and attend fulltime due to financial responsibilities. They do have a weekend Fire program that is every Sat and Sun from May to November, but the EMT training is only Mon – Fri only. Is anyone aware of a weekend EMT program that I can attend?

Does anyone have suggestions that may help me become a firefighter? I honestly am willing to work hard to make it happen, I just need some guidance. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Hey. I would try www.trainingdivision.com They have an online at your own pace firefighter training program. You do all your classwork hours online and they schedule you to attend their "bootcamp" in crowley, texas for a week for the physical portion of the course. The great thing about it is that you can keep your job full time and do your class work at home. The class is Nationally recognized so give them a call. the only thing that sucks about it is that they don't have their emt course set up yet since they are waiting to pass their state inspection. but they should in the beginning of the next year. Good luck

Forum Member

How would you rate it since it is online? Would employers look at it differently or anything? I won't have to worry about EMT since I signed up for one that is in the evenings that starts on Jan 4. But the online one does look interesting if you can get the same type of training that you could with a live instructor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't forget the bigger city departments- you have to be able to do well on tests, but you should be fairly good at them after college. Depending how tied down to the area you are, you can test at all the major FD's in the state and have a decent chance on getting hired on somewhere. Then once you are certified you can go elswhere if you wish. Your wife should be able to get a job anywhere with her teaching qualifications.

Forum Member

Default Training Division

I know a couple of the instructors at Training Division and have gone through their facility which is currently being expanded. The instruction is very good. If you use them, make sure that you are in above average physical condition when it comes time for your "boot camp" as they squeeze a lot into a short period of time.
    I went through a similar situation about 3 years ago when I decided to leave the private sector after 10 years of corporate life (and for the same reasons). Take advantage of every situation you can to talk to others that are in the service and don't get discouraged. It is a competitive process that can sometimes take several attempts to get on somewhere.
    I would welcome the chance to speak with you if you have any questions I might be able to answer. Send me an email or call me at the station, you can get the contact info at www.ev911.org. Good luck.
    "lo que sea, cuando sea, donde sea"

J. Reeves FF/NREMT

http://www.ev911.org
    http://www.careflite.org
    http://www.standbymedical.com

Forum Member

The course has a 13% failure rate for the fire academy. It is for a NR. You can meet people to study online and professor are very helpful online and over the phone. You have plenty of time to complete since it's at your own pace

Forum Member

I just thought I would give everyone an update. I am halfway through my EMT-B course. I am taking it at Emergency Medical Training Services. The course is not too bad. The instructors are very good and I am having a pretty good time. The material is a little hard do to the amount of it, but I am doing ok. I will be starting my hospital rotations in two weeks in McKinney.

I have another question though. I am not sure if I want to continue on for Paramedic afterwards or go get the Fire training. What would yall recomend?

Also, a third choice I have been considering is volunteering once I complete EMT-B at either Waxahachie(where I live) or Midlothian since they have paid and commisioned firefighters. Will they train you in the fire portion when you volunteer? Is it possible to move from volunteer to paid eventually?

Thanks for the support and ideas!

Thread Information