Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: References

MembersZone Subscriber

Default References

I am in the process of filling out a Background Quest. for a FD. They ask for 3 references that are not relatives or past employers. What are some good people to use for references for a FF position. Teachers, priests, family friends. They only ask for 3 so I wanted to narrow it down to 3 you would most recommend. Capt. Bob I would really appreciate any help you can give. I have your book and CD for the interview and they have helped me get to this point but this is where I feel it really gets competitive. I am not related to a FF on the department so I need to make a good statement from my references. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

While we will speak to your references, we really give little credibility to them. We realize that you will carefully choose whom you put down and you will prep them with what you want them to say.

The way we really get the truth about you is we ask your references for FIVE friends that know you. If they cannot come up with five of your friends, your reference is suspect (how well did they really know you?) Once we get an additional 15 names, we work from there. Donít be surprised to hear that representatives are visiting your coworkers, neighbors and former teachers.

We are investing a lot in you. We will leave no stone unturned.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

What type of questions are the references asked? I am currently in a hiring process and the chief will be calling mine next week. I was just curious as to how deeply he will question them. I have nothing to hide, but this hiring process is driving me nuts!

Forum Member

You would want to select a person that has a high opinion of you and can present your best side. Some people just get goofy and will say anything in the moment. They will be asking them who else should they contact. So keep in mind who those people know before you put their name down.

If youíve been in a bad marriage or relationship please donít list that person. A recent candidate put feared putting down a person who he never married but they had a son. So, he told the investigator because he felt he would find her anyway. Probably true. Even though she knew his getting a fire job would significantly increase the child support and opportunities for her son, she torpedoed him.

"There is no winning. Only degrees of loosing."

As my son Rob says, "If youíve been in a bad relationship, and you donít get along with that person, make it easy on everyone and just stay the hell away from them." It is so easy for things to get out of hand and then the police are there, and latter on youíre having to explain it to a background investigator.

As one candidate wrote: As for Backgrounds; they tell you to be honest. But sometimes being too honest can bite you in the ***. Don't be stupid and write down references that hate you. I've known some good people that should be fireman/cops but get disqualified for being too honest.

Youíre a free agent. Make sure you prepare for every step of the hiring process in a way that will best put you in a position for a badge.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 11-25-2005 at 10:01 AM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

but this hiring process is driving me nuts!

This would be normal in these uncharatered waters.

"Don't worry until it's time to worry. It's not time to work yet."
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I pick people for references knowing that I get along with them but expecting that they'll give an honest opinion of me and my suitability for a job.
    You just have to let the chips fall where they may but to avoid having someone tell a potential employer that you're a total a**bag that can't be trusted,you should only hang out with decent people.
    If you know anyone that has been on a department,that can help but keep in mind they will then filter you through their own experiences and decide for themselves if you'd be suitable as a firefigher.I have a superior on my volunteer department that thinks I am a great guy but because I make different mistakes pretty much every call,he has doubts as to if I should go career.
    I try not to make the same mistakes twice but not all volunteer outfits have the run volume that all lessons learned will be permenently filed away.Just do your best and be honest when you answer questions.But you knew that already.

Forum Member

Default Who asked you

Why is this B/C Leopore guy responding to a question for Capt Bob?

MembersZone Subscriber

Poodle,
    This is an open forum.
    The way it works is someone posts a question and people respond to him or her.
    If the candidate really wanted an answer from Bob, he would have sent him a PM or an email. Or he would have called him. I didn't see you respond to the other two people other than Bob who had input.

Doing a search on your profile I see you make a habit of protecting Bob.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...593#post533593

Makes me wonder who you really are. Maybe a second screen name for someone?
    Last edited by BCLepore; 11-30-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Forum Member

Default Who is this guy

It is interesting that you included a thread to a discusion that included someone going after Capt Bob for selling his stuff here. If you had read it you would possibly seen that there is a culture here that is against that. Did you read it or just include the link?
    Whether that guy sent a private email or used this forum the question was still directed at Capt Bob. Did you read that?
    As far as I know you can only have one screen name for each email adress, so I'm afraid It's just me, but nice job in trying to go after me personally when I ask a lagitimate question. What are you a democrat . You don't have anything to say about the post, so you send a link to the past and say I'm a spy or something. Where are you a B/C, Bumbfark?

Forum Member

Default Poodle

I think it is great that you want to help Capt Bob, Poodle, but he doesn't need your help. I think I know who you are, and we so appriciate the great testimonials you have given in the past, and the support you have for fire seminars.

If you have ever looked at firecareers.com you would see that Capt Bob, myself and Chief Lepore have a working relationship. We support and disagree with each other all of the time. But we can handle our own business. Paul only has the best of intentions. If you are so conserned with reading posts, this one is not about arguing with Chief Lepore, please note the spelling of his name.
    Last edited by FFighterRob; 11-30-2005 at 03:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Rob,
    Poodle, I would rather not mention my department for obvious reasons. I will tell you that I work as one of 3 on-duty shift BC's (total of 12 including staff) on a department that runs over 50,000 calls per year. I have handled incidents that have been carried live on CNN.

As far as choosing a thread you are corect that I did not read it. I simply read your quote.

As Rob mentioned, the three us of all know each other and interact on a fairly regular basis. We often strongly disagree in our thoughts and ideas.

On other ideas we are on the same page. Collectively they have helped countless people get hired in the fire service. I have done the same. I appreciate that you have an alegiance to Bob, that's your choice. I'm sure he has earned your respect.

Before you call a guy out in a public forum, I encourage you to do your homework.

By the way since I have shared my identity with you, it's now your turn.
    Last edited by BCLepore; 11-30-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Some Guy

Hi Poodle.

I don't seem to understand why you reacted the way you did here. You seemed to have gone after somebody for offering advice. I thought the forums where for this very purpose?

As Chief Lepore has said the collected THREE of them have helped COUNTLESS people going after their dream job of becoming a firefighter. Yes, sometimes they strongly agree, sometimes they strongly disagree.

I happen to know Chief Lepore personally. I met him when I was preparing to test for another fire department. With his help down many avenues I was able to score 100% on the interview. This was for one of the largest cities in this country. Also a fire department the weighs 100% of you score on the interview.

Bumbfark Fire Department... Hardly
    I have had the opportunity to visit many stations in his department. Mostly as a visiting firefighter from another state. I have also been able to see his department in action. I am sure that if you have done your home work you will have come across some videos that further validate my point. A Class 1 agressive fire department that runs over 50,000 calls would hardly be called Bumfark.

So any reason why you where so fast to jump on sombody for offering advice?

Thread Information