MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Apokryphos
    Weeelll, it's time for another Tues. night update, lol. Well I went to meet the chief tonight, b/c tonight was their 5th Tues. of the Month, "Food Night" so I told the chief that I filled out an app. last wk and came to the drill. He found my application, and asked me to step into his office...Well then he proceeded to explain how things work. "You will have some training...we'll go over drills every tues. night, get you CPR certified, and all...we'll get you driving the vehicles, the Pumper, Fire Engines etc. and this and that...You aren't allowed to respond to any calls right now, until they feel that you are compentent enough, and then you'll get a pager, and a key to the station."

*screeeech* Wait, did he just say compentent enough? Grrr...that's when I whip out my CPR/AED and PALS, and Bloodborne Pathogens cards...he said, "Oh okay...well that's good. Any other training? Well I am a Nursing student, I have had a supportive fiance who is a EMT-P,4, CC, BSN, I can read rhythms, start I.V.s, Use a KED, Spineboard, Laryngoscope, E.T., and Combi-tube proficiently and could probably start a chest tube if you needed me too... (Okay, so I got a little cocky...but the whole competent thing, made me a little uneasy...) I also said, I had to leave early to register for my Basic classes, and he was pretty happy about that.

All in all, I'm in so far, they told me I could come up there and hang out anytime I got ready, stay the night, and ride out with them, and the medic said that it'll be about Jan. when I get a key, and a pager but if I had a scanner then I could get their channel.

So I guess I'll suck it up and do what I got to do.

Thanks for listening...~
    Careful.
    You'll scare the chief.
    Probably not use to all those credentials.
    Patience.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Apokryphos
    *screeeech* Wait, did he just say compentent enough? Grrr...that's when I whip out my CPR/AED and PALS, and Bloodborne Pathogens cards...he said, "Oh okay...well that's good. Any other training? Well I am a Nursing student, I have had a supportive fiance who is a EMT-P,4, CC, BSN, I can read rhythms, start I.V.s, Use a KED, Spineboard, Laryngoscope, E.T., and Combi-tube proficiently and could probably start a chest tube if you needed me too... (Okay, so I got a little cocky...but the whole competent thing, made me a little uneasy...) I also said, I had to leave early to register for my Basic classes, and he was pretty happy about that.

So I guess I'll suck it up and do what I got to do.
    Easy, there... Those are all nice EMS credentials, but it's a FIRE department and you will not be going on calls until you get your FIRE training. I don't see anything that you should have felt you needed to "suck up".

When you start training on putting up the 24' extension ladder by yourself, and donning you SCBA in under a minute, and advancing a charged hose line... you'll probably feel a bit less cocky for a while.

Keep this in mind... a friend of mine who is a TWENTY YEAR career city firefighter was hired into another city. Did he respond to calls right away? No. He had to go through their six-week department fire academy first, just like any first-year newbie. Had to start from scratch, learning side-by-side with kids who were being born when he faught his first fire.

So don't get bent out of shape. There will be many, many comments that you can take the wrong way. Don't take them personally, and don't ever act like you are too good for more training!

Keep writing. I want to hear what happens next!

Sharon
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Forum Member

Default Update...

:::Update:::

So this is prob. the last update for the year, unless you want to know how the Xmas party goes .

They were kind of laid back at the last meeting, but I got to learn about how to turn on the hose things, lol. You know, pull up to the scene put it neutral, put the little choke thing in the middle position and all that...I forgot what's it called...but anyway, learned that and how to use it, where and how to use the foam, the location of all equipment on the truck, and how to use most of it.

That's pretty much it, and they are planning to teach us how to drive the pump truck, the engine, and some other fire truck...it has hoses and all that but isn't as big as the engine...

Anyway, thanks for listening...~

~Casey

Oh, where can I find the reflective lettering on the back of the EMS jackets that most FD have? I just bought a jacket the other day @ a place called Mccains Uniforms ($120, Whew!), since I'm going into EMS...and one of the volley's that been there asked if I were going to get MOFD on the back of it?!

Any info would be great...thanks again.~

Forum Member

Start a phys Ed program. Join your local gym, weight train, eat right, run.

Forum Member

2005!!!!!!!!

Holy time warp Batman.

This guy probably has joined and retired by now.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information