Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had an Interspiro failure several weeks ago. It's one, of the many types that we have had. Mine wasn't an O ring issue. My regular unit was at the shops, and there was a "spare unit" in service. I checked it when I cam on duty, and later, the shops returned my normal unit. When I checked my normal unit, before placeing it in service, the plastic housing behind the bypass valve exploded apart upon being charged with air. This failure has occured with many other FF's either on the fireground, or while doing thier routine checks of the units. The scba shop guys were still there at the station, and replaced the faulty part quickly. The next morning, one of our dept officers showed up to get a statement from me about it. He also mentioned then that we would probably be "in" our new scba's by the end of April. At that time, I was told it would be the Scott 50's, like we had before. So, I'm going to assume that is still the case. We have had the Interspiro scba's August of 05, and have over 100 failures of some type. O ring failures while actively firefighting, as well as at morning checks.. along with bypass failures in both conditions, along with other mask failures etc. hoses burning in two on more than one occasion.

It is at the point that we are faced with going into a burning building, not knowing if our scba will suddenly fail for no reason at all. We are a large city/dept, and we have more than our share of structure fires. Just since Jan 1st I've been to numerous structures, and first in on many of them. We simply cannot refuse to wear them.. and put the public at risk, .. so we continue to put ourselves in harms way, with these faulty packs, until we are given something better to use. It sucks, but we have to do what we have to do.. it really does put us in a rotten situation. I know that these new scba's will be a very welcome site at all the stations. They won't get here soon enough for anyone.

I just hope that we can all stay safe until the switch is made. Thanks for all the well wishes for our welfare, it is truely welcome. Only our fellow bothers & sisters out there can know what we a truely faced with. This job can be dangerous enough, without carrying a ticking time bomb on your back while doing it.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Quote Originally Posted by SSHANK42
    Are you saying that the MSA's the USAF are using has the same type of failure?
    NO...NO....NO.... We have been using the Interspiro for quite some time. These are the ones having the problems. We are changing to the MSA's soon. Well....maybe by 2009.

Good Luck on your timely replacements San Antonio brothers. My heart is with you.

A few years ago I took my wife to San Antonio for a romantic night on the River Walk. We had a hard time finding a parking spot that didn't require a taxi ride to the river. Some of your guys at a nearby station let us park in their parking lot. You guys are the greatest. Take care and stay safe!!
    Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 03-25-2006 at 07:18 AM.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Does anybody know what kind of scba's they are going with?

former FH.com member

We have Scott Air-Pack 50's on order and we anxiously await their arrival.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

When I worked for the ANG as a civilian firefighter we got Interspiros. I hated them then and this only reenforces my opinion of them.

Good for you guys getting AP-50's. A reliable, workhorse of an SCBA.

FyredUp

Thread Information