Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Ohio Youth Fire & EMS Training Academy 2006

Attention all Fire Explorers, Cadets and Jr Firefighters:

Mark July 9 through July 15, 2006 on your calendar and join us for…
    OYFETA! 2006

The Ohio Youth Fire & EMS Training Academy will be held July 9 through July 15, 2006, at Hocking College in beautiful Nelsonville, Ohio. The event, hosted by the Ohio State Firefighters’ Association Youth Programs Committee, promises to be a one-of-a-kind experience for young men and women interested in pursuing a career as a firefighter or emergency medical technician (EMT).

Academy participants will be challenged by instructors from Hocking College and fire departments from around Ohio. The Academy is a progressive program offering different modules to participants depending on experience. The course curriculum is designed to prepare Academy participants for future certification courses by teaching concepts in the classroom setting, and applying those lessons in practical skills evolutions.

Prospective participants must meet the following criteria in order to attend the 2006 Ohio Youth Fire & EMS Training Academy:
    - 14 to 18 years of age
    - Must have an affiliation with a fire department or EMS agency (i.e. Explorer Post, Cadet Program, Jr. Firefighters, etc.)
    - Parental permission
    - Advisor or Chief’s recommendation
    - Paid tuition which includes lodging, food and 1.0 hour of college credit
    - Completed registration packet (available January 1, 2006)
    - Current CPR certification

For additional information or registration materials, please contact:
    Chief Todd German, Northern Union County Joint Fire and EMS District, Youth Programs Committee Chairman at 937-537-0312 or by email: chief@nucfd.com
    or
    Paramedic / Firefighter Mike Sherron, Union Township Fire Department – Ross County, Youth Programs Committee Vice-Chairman at 513-266-1550 or by email: OhioFireExploring@adelphia.net

Youth from outside of Ohio who are interested in participating should contact one of the above for more information!

it'd be cool if they held something like that in NJ
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

well i will come if my chief pays for it, how much is tuition?

Forum Member

I'm a Junior FF from Florida & I think this is great. How many years has this academy been conducted & like the person before me asked, how much are the tuition costs?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mgvfdjrff
    I'm a Junior FF from Florida & I think this is great. How many years has this academy been conducted & like the person before me asked, how much are the tuition costs?
    Thanks for your interest.

This will be the third year we have conducted the academy at Hocking College. We started the concept of an academy at my department when we started our Explorer Post during the summer of 2001. We called it "Boot Camp." In 2002, we opened it up to other Explorer Posts and were overwhelmed with the response. Seeing that there was a demand for such a program, we hooked up with the Ohio State Firefighters Association and hosted the first Ohio Youth Academy in 2004 with 16 young men & women attending. This year, we had over 60 students.

The tuition this year was $275 and includes program, room & board, recreational activities and 1 hour of college credit. Although the committee hasn't made it official yet, we do not anticipate an increase in the tuition next year. I'll post again in this forum when the tuition price is set and the registration materials are available.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default academy

do attendees have to supply PPE & scba (including bottles)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg26
    do attendees have to supply PPE & scba (including bottles)?
    Yes, attendees must supply their own PPE & SCBA.

Forum Member

what do you mean that the students must have one hr. of college credit

I think he means those who participate will receive one college credit.

Forum Member

Yes, that sentence indicates that the academy tuition covers room, board and 1 college credit hour. College credit is NOT required in order to come to the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief310
    Yes, that sentence indicates that the academy tuition covers room, board and 1 college credit hour. College credit is NOT required in order to come to the academy.
    From Vermont, will travel.

Are us New Englanders welcome too?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

is this only for juniors in Ohio, or can people from other states attend?
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    From Vermont, will travel.

Are us New Englanders welcome too?
    Of course! We normally take Ohio registrations until June, then open it up to out-of-state students on a first come, first served basis until all available space is gone. So far, we haven't had to turn anyone away due to lack of space. That said, we experienced a 400% increase in registrations from last year to this. If that happens again next year, we may have a waiting list. Hopefully, we'll be able to accomodate everyone who wants to come.

Forum Member

Smile

well, i'm a junior firefighter in PA but i'm also interested in becoming an EMT... would i be able to go to this to be an EMT? i have CPR&AED and bloodborne pathogens certification. plz let me know
    Last edited by BurninFlame91; 11-17-2005 at 07:58 AM. Reason: forgot something

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BurninFlame91
    well, i'm a junior firefighter in PA but i'm also interested in becoming an EMT... would i be able to go to this to be an EMT? i have CPR&AED and bloodborne pathogens certification. plz let me know
    Our program is based on Firefighter I and First Responder curriculum, however because of the age of our students, we are unable to offer certifications that are recognized by any state. Our program is designed to provide knowledge and skills that will give our students a "head start" when they go on to begin their "official" training later in life.

Also, I should mention that our program is designed around a 4-year cycle, so that a student could come every year from age 14 - 18 and receive a different, more advanced course of study each year.

To learn more about Hocking College (where we have the academy each year) visit www.hocking.edu. To take a virtual tour of the campus, visit http://www.hocking.edu/VCT2/index.htm.

To learn more about the Ohio State Firefighters Association (our sponsoring organization), visit www.ohiofirefighters.org. By the way, this is where the registration materials will be available for download, once they're ready.

Info has been passed on to the advisors.

Forum Member

i have sat through all of the ff1 and ff2 classes at my department i know alot not trying to brag or anything, in your advanced classes what do they learn?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pgfire3
    i have sat through all of the ff1 and ff2 classes at my department i know alot not trying to brag or anything, in your advanced classes what do they learn?
    To be honest, if you've participated in FF I & II training, you probably won't see anything new at our academy on the fire side. Have you had any EMS?

Even in you've had all the training before, you might just enjoy meeting and training with other cadets, explorers and juniors from all over Ohio and several other states, getting away from your folks and experiencing college dorm life for a week.

Forum Member

i hear you chief310. the only things i know about ems is what i have seen in 4 years of rideing calls and 4 years of con-ed, i would like to see the ohio way of firefighting, etc. i am sure i could learn something new, the way i look at it is the day you turn down good training even if you think you know everything is the day you need to get out of the fire department. please put me on a list for information timberjackfarm@hotmail.com for information as soon as you get it, my chief said he will let me go if i can get all of the paper work straight. what city will this be in, in ohio? and once agian what all is involved in your most advanced classes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pgfire3
    i hear you chief310. the only things i know about ems is what i have seen in 4 years of rideing calls and 4 years of con-ed, i would like to see the ohio way of firefighting, etc. i am sure i could learn something new, the way i look at it is the day you turn down good training even if you think you know everything is the day you need to get out of the fire department. please put me on a list for information timberjackfarm@hotmail.com for information as soon as you get it, my chief said he will let me go if i can get all of the paper work straight. what city will this be in, in ohio? and once agian what all is involved in your most advanced classes.

I'll e-mail you a copy of the curriculum when I get back to the office so you can see what's covered each year of the program.

Hocking College is located in Nelsonville, Ohio. It's a small town down in "the hills" between Logan and Athens. Nelsonville is probably best known for being the home of Rocky Boots. There is an outlet store located at the old factory (the boots are mostly made in Mexico these days) and academy students receive discount coupons they can use anytime.

Thread Information