MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Chevron paint scheme and colors on apparatus...

Just a quick opinion and any photos you have out there of the reflective Chevron striping that many dept's. are using on the back of their apparatus (started in Europe, I believe). We're replacing three of our apparatus and instead of using the popular/effective white/red... one of the genius's on the apparatus commitee is fighting (dont' know why) for the chevron in a reflective GREEN instead?!...Would like some stories, experiences, ideas about this supposedly great concept of safe reflectivity on the back of apparatus (highway safety etc.)... You can also send me email to avoid the clutter a thread may cause in here... THANk YOU.

MembersZone Subscriber

They are a requirement for all service vehicles in the UK due to EU regulations. (Even civilian service vehicles such as Tow trucks and Highway Maintenence lorry's). I was asked by one of the previous encumbants at FH.com to produce an article about them...which I did and never heard from him again??? Any colours can be used, but the rear reflective material can only be red to fit in with Motor Vehicle construction & use regulations

I have attached some below... if they do become a requirement you can say goodbye to the 'Handsome' look of some of your equipment. We have to adopt these things Nationwide, I guess with State legislation in the US, maybe it will be introduced in some areas and not in others?

Ambulance
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SteveDude; 11-11-2005 at 10:22 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Police Vehicle
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire Engine
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

Front & side of Fire Engine showing flourescant paint on the rear body, reflective lettering on the front and reflective striping along the side and on the bottom of the roller shutters.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

The stripes, lettering and paint doesn't bother me that much. The chev's on the rear of the BRT doesn't make me flinch... The checkerboard pattern on the side of the vehicle, however, .
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by spearsm
    The stripes, lettering and paint doesn't bother me that much. The chev's on the rear of the BRT doesn't make me flinch... The checkerboard pattern on the side of the vehicle, however, .

Ahhh yes, the 'Battenburg' pattern, (named after Battenburg cake). Very popular with all three emergency services outside of London where there are a lot of fast roads. So far, apart from some of the Traffic Cops vehicles and the newer Ambulances most in London are still pretty tame.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 11-11-2005 at 01:30 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the chevron on the back of are new engine in the red/white scheme. it actually doesnt look bad at all. and on the highway its reflective as hell.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

we too are going with the reflective chevron on our next pumper. I'm not too crazy about the way it looks, but it is definatley functional.

MembersZone Subscriber

We too are having a reflctive red/white chevron put on our new tower. Good chance that it will be on all new FD vehicle, including ambulances. This summer I spent 10 days in Scotland. I was very impressed with the overall use of reflective patterns and chevron. They seem to take traffic safety a little more serious than us 'yanks. Most impressive was the "battenberg" checkerboard pattern on the police cars. We saw one car from over a 1/2 mile away and noticed the pattern before the strobes! The lime green/blue reflective seemed to be the most noticeable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    We too are having a reflctive red/white chevron put on our new tower. Good chance that it will be on all new FD vehicle, including ambulances. This summer I spent 10 days in Scotland. I was very impressed with the overall use of reflective patterns and chevron. They seem to take traffic safety a little more serious than us 'yanks. Most impressive was the "battenberg" checkerboard pattern on the police cars. We saw one car from over a 1/2 mile away and noticed the pattern before the strobes! The lime green/blue reflective seemed to be the most noticeable.
    Oh, I can imagine.
    Our med/rescue unit is adorned in a ungodly effective strobe package. the rear four strobes are app. 4"x 10" in size and makes it impossible to follow at any distance. I have actually arrived on scene while following this truck with a headache,seizure, drool running down my chin. It will literally mesmerize you if you are not careful. We are talking about toning it down a bit.
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red and Yellow seem pretty standard for the rear chevrons, like I said becuase of C&U regulations. However therer a re a myriad of different scheme from each Ploice, Fire & Ambulance agency in every county in the UK.

It usually follows that those using battenburg will have flourescent yellow in the checker along with reflective Blue for Police, Red for Fire and Green for Ambulance.

Here is a link to a UK Emergency Vehicle website that may give you some ideas of what looks OK and what will induce Mental disturbance.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Oh, I can imagine.
    Our med/rescue unit is adorned in a ungodly effective strobe package. the rear four strobes are app. 4"x 10" in size and makes it impossible to follow at any distance.
    Whacker........
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    Whacker........
    **Smile falls from face, head drops, shaking head**

You know, you would think I would have seen that one coming.....
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Oh, I can imagine.
    Our med/rescue unit is adorned in a ungodly effective strobe package. the rear four strobes are app. 4"x 10" in size and makes it impossible to follow at any distance. I have actually arrived on scene while following this truck with a headache,seizure, drool running down my chin. It will literally mesmerize you if you are not careful. We are talking about toning it down a bit.
    LOL...One of the departments near me has lost their minds when it comes to lights. I saw their new DC buggy yesterday and OMG!. I didnt know it was possible to put that many lights on an F350. I was half expecting to see it towing a generator.

Our newest pumper, which we bought as a demo, has one of thoese basic, "pre-select" NFPA light packages from Federal on it (strobes/rotators) and that thing clears traffic better then anything Ive ever driven. Makes you wonder why these departments think they need rigs that look like rolling discos.

Sorry...back to the topic.

Our next rig will have the chevron stripping on the rear and maybe on the front if we can find a place that doesnt look bad. Probably just your basic red/white for color.

Another idea I had is some of that DOT red/white stripe that you see on large trucks would look good along the bottom edge, maybe in the rub rail. We put some of it on the rear bumper of our aerial and it shows up pretty well.

In my area, the chevron stripping is just starting to catch on. One pumper Ive seen has it all over the rear, and a couple others have large blocks (about 12"wX36"H) of it on each side of the rear.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

OK....another question? Which direction is the chevron supposed to be pointing ///\\\ or \\\///? I have seen both on apparatus around here. Or does it matter.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd also like to know if there is any science to the inverted vs. regualr v pattern. I thought I read somewhere that it had to do with sub-consciously drawing you in ("V" pattern) vs. subconsiously steering you away (inverted v)? Anyone seen this?

FTM-PTB

Thread Information