Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Firefighters with allergies?

Does anyone have an allergy that needs special accommodation? I have a very bad allergy to fragrances. I have asked my co-workers not to wear or use colognes and perfumes at work and not to spray air fresheners. This has not been easy. Most of them are very against complying with the idea.

Silly me for thinking, if nothing else, a little common manners would take over and have my request honored.

We have people allergic to certain foods and they are not served that food when they are working. We have another who is allergic to dogs, therefore, dogs are banned in the stations, but the fragrance allergy is not taken seriously and in fact people go out of their way to wear extra.

What to do?

Heres food for thought... our K-9 police unit, is allergic to dogs... think about that for a sec, lol

He keeps the dog at a kennel
    Adam, EMT-B

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Over the past year or so I've been temping at a number of offices with signs and policies stating there are people with fragnance allergies so perfume, cologne or strongly scented hair care products are not allowed.

Even worked at one office where someone was allergic to popcorn and we couldn't make popcorn on that floor at all.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07003
    Heres food for thought... our K-9 police unit, is allergic to dogs... think about that for a sec, lol

He keeps the dog at a kennel

Get this one. I'm a vollie FF and im alergic to ummm.......SMOKE! there I said it, yes im alergic to smoke! Steroid packs are my friend....LOL (and not anibolic!)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IGotTheJumpSeat
    Get this one. I'm a vollie FF and im alergic to ummm.......SMOKE! there I said it, yes im alergic to smoke! Steroid packs are my friend....LOL (and not anibolic!)

Thanks for not caring about a serious issue. I guess ignorance is bliss.

MembersZone Subscriber

FWIW, I've found Alavert to be a decent allergy medicine. It lasts 24 hours, and is non-drowsy. I started taking it on bad allergy days this summer and love it - I don't feel like I'm in the clouds the whole time either. Kinda expensive at the store, but Costco sells it a lot cheaper (you just buy a lot at once).

I know it doesn't solve the issue of people respecting your wishes, but it might at least help you cope.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    FWIW, I've found Alavert to be a decent allergy medicine. It lasts 24 hours, and is non-drowsy. I started taking it on bad allergy days this summer and love it - I don't feel like I'm in the clouds the whole time either. Kinda expensive at the store, but Costco sells it a lot cheaper (you just buy a lot at once).

I know it doesn't solve the issue of people respecting your wishes, but it might at least help you cope.

Thank you for the information. I'll talk to my doctor. I's been my experience, if it doesn't make you sleepy it doesn't work, but I'll try anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

If its a paid position, you are covered under the ADA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im allergic to a lot of thing....mold dogs smoke trees grass. But it all started with the mold. The a/c unit at my house was causing a mold problem which cause me to have respiratory problems...coughing chest pain shortness of breath. Once I figured out it was the mold. I went to an allergy doctor and got a skin test to see what else I was allergic to. Now I get shots to help my body build up immunity to the allergens. I just started the shots in Nov. and I can already tell the difference. Im 28 and I have never been allergic to ANY THING ever in my life until last year. But since I started getting the shots I can run outside and exercise like I did before.

I've seen a few firefighters that apparently have a severe allergy to fire. Once they see it, they suddenly develop breathing problems. Usually though, they end up being traced to unrepeatable mask failure.

Kevin
    Last edited by fireman4949; 01-13-2006 at 09:57 PM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information