Thread: Pagers

Forum Member

Question Pagers

What pager do you think is the best to buy? I have a pager from my Dept. but I am thinking that if I move away and join another dept.; it may not have pagers and I would be stuck with nothing. I currently am thinking about a minitor4 or 5.

Forum Member

Stay COMPLETELY away from the Minitor 4. Most of them have serious problems with the boards breaking under the stress of the belt clip.

I'll take a 2ch Minitor II over any of the new synthesized units. If I had to get one of the new ones, I'd go for a Minitor V
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

If you can get a Minitor II from the dept with all your tones and frequency in it already, that will do you just fine. However it is getting harder and harder to find parts, boards, and tone reeds for the II's. I doubt it will be worth buying some random Minitor II and then expecting to just change everything in it for whatever frequency and tones the new department uses.

If you want to buy new, the Minitor V is the current model and it is worlds better than the IV. The IV is no longer in production anyway. Don't waste your money on a used III or IV.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

i have a minitor III, everyone always talks **** about the III's and IV's but ive never had a problem with either of them. wouldnt suggest buying a used pager though, so i'd suggest maybe a Minitor V
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45
    i have a minitor III, everyone always talks **** about the III's and IV's but ive never had a problem with either of them. wouldnt suggest buying a used pager though, so i'd suggest maybe a Minitor V
    The IV by design (even admitted by mother M) has a flaw, and the belt clip causes enough flex in the pager to break connections on the board. Moto ended up not fixing most of these units, and just sent a new one in their place. The IV is -trash-

Buying a used pager, if it's coming from a radio shop, or a trusted source shouldn't a problem. Any time we resell any used gear we acquire, we make sure it's in like-new condition, or we'll make sure it is in like-new condition before we sell it. If we were to resell a pager, it'd probably get a new case, new buttons, new battery for sure, as well as anything else it for functionality. Buying a used pager isn't "bad", you just need to know what you're dealing with.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

The III is the worst piece of crap out of all of them. It's like the reject bastard child of paging.

MembersZone Subscriber

the minitor 2 is by far trhe best. we just went to the min 5. they are okay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    The III is the worst piece of crap out of all of them. It's like the reject bastard child of paging.

exactly what im talking about, have had a 3 for a year and a half with my fire dept., and a 4 for my EMS squad. ive never come across a problem with either, same with everyone else on both dept.'s. my only guess would be that maybe certain "batches" of pagers might have had defects, who knows.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have carried a Minitor I, II, III, and IV, and I've never really had a problem with any of them. We have had problems with the knobs breaking off the III's, but no real complaints about the IV's. I do have a couple of guys who are zealously hanging onto their II's, mainly because they claim the reception is better....that may be true. Haven't had the opportunity to try the V's yet, I guess the next round of pagers we buy will be V's.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

exactly what im talking about, have had a 3 for a year and a half with my fire dept., and a 4 for my EMS squad. ive never come across a problem with either, same with everyone else on both dept.'s. my only guess would be that maybe certain "batches" of pagers might have had defects, who knows.
    No, there aren't batches of bad ones. They are all junk. The whole pager is a design flaw and was a trainwreck from the day it landed on the shelves. You don't have a good one. It just hasn't broken yet. The IV is no better. They are both the same as far as being a piece of crap.

Forum Member

I personally think it's all about how one takes care of a specific unit. I've carried them all including the 'Page-Com' by Motorola {You young Bucks wouldn't remember - We're talkin' 70's and 80's era}

You have to remember these things aren't hockey pucks - They're radio monitoring devices that need to be treated with care. My current department I started out with a Minitor II SV {Repeater} and I had it from 1998 to 2002 with no problems what so ever considering it was already 4 years old when it was issued. When I received my Minitor IV which to date has only had one issue - The speaker was replaced last year. Otherwise Excellant Unit. I keep it free from Dust and use the Velcro case they give you. It stays either in my car or locker when I'm on a call so as not to expose it to poor environments and I clean it monthly both inside and out.

Treat it like you own it. You'll get a better life out of it.

Forum Member

You can treat them as nice as you want. It doesn't change anything. The pager is of flawed design and babying it doesn't help it. It sure doesn't hurt, however they are marketed and 'designed' to take abuse. They don't. They are crap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    You can treat them as nice as you want. It doesn't change anything. The pager is of flawed design and babying it doesn't help it. It sure doesn't hurt, however they are marketed and 'designed' to take abuse. They don't. They are crap.
    what pager would you recommend then?
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

[QUOTE=dmleblanc]I do have a couple of guys who are zealously hanging onto their II's, mainly because they claim the reception is better...QUOTE]

This morning at about 1150 my friend and I were working out behind our church when the tones dropped for a car fire. I have a Minitor I and he has a IV, my pager went off about 1 second before his. This has actually happened more than once.

Just my experience.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=RFRDxplorer]
    Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    I do have a couple of guys who are zealously hanging onto their II's, mainly because they claim the reception is better...QUOTE]

This morning at about 1150 my friend and I were working out behind our church when the tones dropped for a car fire. I have a Minitor I and he has a IV, my pager went off about 1 second before his. This has actually happened more than once.

Just my experience.
    It's all about the synthesizing and the computer circuitry. It's much more "accurate" in what it decodes, and the audio delay is to make sure it's clean, blah blah blah.

Doesn't actually do much.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

what pager would you recommend then?
    Minitor II

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

man i fyou can get your hands on a working II you are good to go. those are by far the best model. they offered me a IV but i said no becuase i wear my II aroung the farm and about every thing has happend to it. hell i even droped it in the john on morning and five min. later it turned back on! my brother broke the clip for is IV the first day he had it just by sitting down.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Res343cue]
    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer

It's all about the synthesizing and the computer circuitry. It's much more "accurate" in what it decodes, and the audio delay is to make sure it's clean, blah blah blah.

Doesn't actually do much.

Yeah, the IV still does its job, and what you said makes sense. Thanks.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Talking Thanks

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, their much appreciated.

Forum Member

i have a minitor 2.... i was looking on ebay and i was thinking about purchasing my own pager so that way i could program it and put the local rescue squad tones on the pager. but i'd rather have a minitor 5 because it's smaller.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BurninFlame91
    i have a minitor 2.... i was looking on ebay and i was thinking about purchasing my own pager so that way i could program it and put the local rescue squad tones on the pager. but i'd rather have a minitor 5 because it's smaller.

the minitor 3 and 4 are much smaller than the minitor 5, the 5 kinda reminds me of a newer looking minitor 2
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

A minitor II is not programmable anything. It uses a crystal and requires manual tuning for the frequency. The tones are limited to 3 and require tones reeds for each tone. Finding a used Minitor II is not as simple as just having the pager. You need to configure the hardware and find the parts to make it do what you need.

The Minitor III, IV, & V are programmable. If you get one in your frequency band, it can programmed to your frequency and your specific tones can be programmed into it. The III and IV are not worth spending money on. They are garbage. You'd be buying a piece of crap and then paying more down the road to have repaired over and over. Save your money. If you need to buy a new pager, the V is your best bet. It hasn't been out long enough for long term testing but all indications so far point to it being a good pager. It is about the size of a Minitor II but a modern shape.

Forum Member

Progressively, the Swissphone Quattrino, a pager used widelly in Europe is gaining popularity in the states. The only flaw I've found is that like the Minitor II series, it still alerts off of a custom made crystal. Which in essence means, once you buy it, the manufacturer programs it for you, it cannot be reprogrammed, unless you send it back, and wait 4-6weeks for them to make and install a new crystal to whatever tones you want.

http://www.pwservice.com/quattrino.htm
    Montgomery Township Vol. Co. #1
    Station 45, Belle Mead, NJ

Franklin District #2 Fire
    Station 35, Griggstown, NJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMZ108
    What pager do you think is the best to buy? I have a pager from my Dept. but I am thinking that if I move away and join another dept.; it may not have pagers and I would be stuck with nothing. I currently am thinking about a minitor4 or 5.
    I wouldnt buy anything till/if you move. You never know what pagers this new area may use. If you moved to my area, you would need an Advisor digital. A Minitor would do you no good.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

i have a minitor v and i like works excellent its bilt like a brick to withstand a newage beatting ive droped off a roof and other places. the fd im at they use alphanumeric pagers and minitors i dont exactly understand this but they word
    the 8 house connection E.G,NY

Thread Information