Thread: plane crash

Forum Member

Default plane crash

Small plane crashes in Riverwest area of Milwaukee
    From the Journal Sentinel
    Posted: Nov. 12, 2005

A single-engine plane crashed into the Riverwest neighborhood about 6 p.m. Saturday. Witnesses said the pilot was moving in the cockpit as the plane dangled from electrical wires.

Firefighters use a bucket lift to rescue a pilot from a plane after it crashed into power lines at Humboldt Ave. and Clarke St.
    Related Coverage
    Video: TMJ4 reports

A single-engine plane crashed into the Riverwest neighborhood about 6 p.m. today, knocking out power to the immediate area.

Firefighters used a bucket lift to rescue the pilot from the plane, which was dangling in power lines near Humboldt Ave. and Clarke St. His condition was not immediately known.

It was not known whether anyone else was on the plane. It wasn’t known whether anyone on the ground was injured.

The lights on the plane were still on and the plane’s nose was pointing into the ground. The plane came to rest about three feet off the ground.

This story will be updated as it develops

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/nov05/370162.asp
    Last edited by sawman; 11-12-2005 at 11:13 PM.

Forum Member

DAMN! I wish I would have been working tonight...

FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wonder if Jasper made it to this one?

Never know what we're going to get when we show up for work!

Forum Member

Quite fortunate for the pilot there eh?

Perhaps Capt. Gonzo can learn from this. When you are going to crash land, find a bunch to telphone wires.

Gravity: You just can't beat it.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie

Perhaps Capt. Gonzo can learn from this. When you are going to crash land, find a bunch to telphone wires.

From the looks of it, he came about 4 feet from certain death. I'll bet he needs to change pants.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie

Maybe the pilot had a "Top Gun" flashback and thought he could catch the three wire on the deck of the aircraft carrier!

I deal with the pucker factor with the trees on the final approach of runway 32 on landing and runway 14 on departure!

Here's an aerial view of Marlborough Airport (9B1). The trees are on the lower left of the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Well, you don't see that everyday.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Nail200
    Wonder if Jasper made it to this one?

Never know what we're going to get when we show up for work!

Nail, yes, I did manage to make it there. We were special called for shoring/stabilization and extrication of the trapped party.
    You never do really know what you will get.
    It was an interesting incident, to say the least.

Forum Member

Wink

"Perhaps Capt. Gonzo can learn from this. When you are going to crash land, find a bunch to telphone wires."

Here's one we had in Seattle- I heard about two years later the pilot managed to kill himself in another aircraft accident-
    I think I would have quit while I was ahead-

http://www.ladder54.com/Photosplane.htm

IACOJ BOD

Well his number of takeoffs equals his number of landings, so he is still ahead of the game.

And I can't see a problem with his delivery, he could have jumped from that height.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    DAMN! I wish I would have been working tonight...

Is that the fire alarm unit bringing him in? That would be pain with a regular stick.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Two things to say:

1) Any "landing" you can walk away from is a good landing.

2) Now that's a really silly place to park your a/c.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Truckie

We were special called for shoring/stabilization
    That's a whole bunch of cribbing....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Unfortunately, once you actually start piloting an aircraft and have some financial stake in the matter, that phrase doesn't apply any more.

Any landing you can walk away from and the plane can be immidiately flown again wasn't a terrible one. Any landing you can walk away from and wouldn't mind other people seeing is a good one. Any landing that nobody is there to witness will probably be your best landing ever. And finally, if at the end of the day, your logbook shows 1 less landing than takeoffs, there was probably a bad landing.
    Last edited by nmfire; 11-11-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Forum Member

Wink

[QUOTE=nmfire]Unfortunately, once you actually start piloting an aircraft and have some financial stake in the matter, that phrase doesn't apply any more.

After 10 years in the industry, and seeing the bills I agree wholeheartedly-
    When I started, I thought about owning my own plane, but now, I am content to work on other people's for a price

Forum Member

I'm still intent on either owning my own plane, or having use of someone else's. One way or another, not paying $100/hr to rent one!

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to fly very often with a buddy when I was in high school. I've spent more than my fair share of time "looking for a suitable landing area outside the regulated airport" on more than one occasion. Kinda gives new meaning to the fan up front that keeps the pilot cool. and I learned the easy way that getting excited from the right seat doesnt help matters. Better to be useful looking for a nice flat farmers field.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Do you mean looking for suitable off-airport landing sites to keep occupied... or did his engine fail that often?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    I'm still intent on either owning my own plane, or having use of someone else's. One way or another, not paying $100/hr to rent one!
    If you are determined, I would be looking into a homebuilt- it has several advantages, not the least, after completion, if you were the builder, you recieve a repairman certificate which is in essence, an A&P for your aircraft.
    Also there are some fantastic kits out there-
    One of my co-wrker's dads is working on his second RV-4

Forum Member

One of our deputy chiefs just turned his basement into a hanger for an RV-10 I think. I haven't actually seen him to talk to him about it. But that isn't a bad idea. I should look into it, probably cheaper than buying a plane.

I want to be able to carry 4 people comfortably though. That is my main thing.

Forum Member

I think you will get a better plane, and you will be able to work on it and sign off your own inspections. (homebuilts use a condition inspection- it is an annual, but can be signed off with either a repairman certificate by the builder, or an A&P {not IA)) Read up on the Experimental category in the FARs.
    Once a year, Kitplanes magazine has an issue showing what is available in kits and plans, some might suprise you.
    EAA is also a great resource, and is worth a membership, and a trip to one of their airshows near you- I live near Arlington Washington, and the show here has vendors, as well as workshops for homebuilding.
    Another good move is to order catalogs from WagAero, and Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, both cater to homebuilders.
    The kits can range from very basic to everything you need, and you can have about as much fun as flying one.
    When I see Cessna getting $275,ooo new for a 172, or buying one that has been flown for 20 years, there are a lot nicer planes available for the money.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Do you mean looking for suitable off-airport landing sites to keep occupied... or did his engine fail that often?
    Just a few wee cases of carburator icing is all, although in 6 years of flying with Dave, that only happened maybe 3 times I think. No it was not a common event, but at the same time, he used to drill me (as the "right seat guy) to look and know/be aware in case fecal matter hit the wrong side of the fan. When I flew with his dad who is former Air Force, I got the same drills from him too.

Forum Member

Oh, ok. I was a little worried there. Giving passengers a job is a great tool. Keeps them occupied and gives you the upper hand in case of 'problems'.

Was it by chance a Cessna?

Forum Member

Had a friend make a forced landing in a Long-EZ at the container terminal at Terminal Island.
    It could occur in any weather, and it did- a clear spring day! By the time he identified what it was, it was all over.
    Some of the carb heat arraingements leave a lot to be desired, especially in pusher aircraft.
    Had yo pull the outer wing panels and truck it to the airport.
    Not the plane to make a forced landing in.

Forum Member

Well at least he made it in once piece. Ever since I started solo'ing, I find myself paying much more attention to where I could land. It seems that in my area, it is more likely to be an aquatic landing.

Thread Information