Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Rear Mount Rescue Pumper

I am putting together a powerpoint on a rear mount rescue pumper does any have some pros and cons on these types of vehicles any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much

Forum Member

I hate to quote many other members here....but, "search". Seriously, there is lots of good info thats been discussed here, already. Opinions vary greatly. Same as which brand truck is better. I think someone even took the time to put up drawings of the differant pump drive systems in use. Personally, I like the concept. Be sure to check out different manufacturer sites for drawings and get in touch with dept's that have them. They will be your best bet for info. Finally, when you go to bid it, base it on performance, don't spec specific items. For example, don't say you want brand x generator on it. Spec it as you need it to operate a certain amount of lights. Let the engineers figure out the engineering. Demand performance. As far as power point's....check with the manufacturers. Maybe they will help in order to sell a truck ?

Forum Member

What exactly are you looking for?

We have two Rear Mounts being built right now. I put two years into researching and designing them so I have lots of info, pics, drawings etc. if you like.

Lightbulb Spec'ing

I respectfully disagree with CdnFyreGuy in his statement that you should only spec perfomance and not brand names. Do your research! There are companies out there that build a product that meets the same spec but are no where near the same quality. Always remember, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! If you go cheap - then cheap is what you'll get.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My volly FD just finished speccing a rescue engine and we looked at a ton of variables and some suggested a rear mounted pump. We looked at it and frankly I can't help but ask why? If someone can explain to me the big advantage of a rear mounted pump I would love to hear it. I have heard it makes the truck shorter, not if you replace the compartments you lose with additional side compartments. No matter how you slice it you lose the rear compartment and in many set up a side compartment for the panel. I have heard it gets the MPO out of traffic. How if the panel is on the drivers side rear? I have heard it puts the suction in the rear and makes it easy to draft if you pull in a driveway, so does a much less expensive and less compartment wasting rear suction.

I am just wondering what the fascination is...

FyredUp

Forum Member

Efd, I'm not gettin down on brands. Let me explain. What I meant was don't limit yourself. Say, a generator. You may want to, as part of the spec say "must be a hydraulic gen capable of providing x amount of watts at x amount of rpm, must have proven track record in the fire service (please provide 3 examples), must be installed in such a way, must be proven to have x amount of hrs run time between failures. You can even give the manufacturer a choice of brands. I am all for quality (you can spec that too). Our lives depend on it. And yes, as Efd said RESEARCH. Personally, I dont care if a firetruck is made by ACME. As long as it works as advertised and fixed as advertised when needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

ACME Fire Trucks..... are those the ones that come in a wooden crate box?
    We have one and they pump and run great but we still can't catch that darn Road Runner!

Talking Acme Fire Trucks

Acme -

I think that those are made in Florida.......LOL

Just Kidding!!
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

Default Help With Rear Mount Pro's and Con's

FFT...

If you would like some help with photos, drive designs and concepts of rear mounts (yes, I said "concepts", not manufacturer specific proprietary designs) I have quite an archieve of stuff from the U.S. Cananda and more European style designs.

Feel free to drop me a note at FYRTRUCKGUY@AOL.COM and I will try to give you some info/pictures to use for your presentation that is generic "stuff" for you to use, that includes many different manufacturers.

Invite many, listen much, ask plenty and do it right!

Guy

PS- Yes, I have "affiliations"......

Forum Member

Ours caught the roadrunner, but it didnt last long in our kitchen with the way our guys eat.

MembersZone Subscriber

VanIsle: We are currently researching 2 Engines and the idea was brought up about rear-mounts... if you have some info/pics/drawings that you could spare that would be great. Please e-mail me: jeremy.beaver@midwayvfc.com Thank you

Thread Information