Forum Member

Default Regional Projects

Anyone have any ideas for regional projects for next year? Some of the ideas that we have are communications, SCBA, and PPE. We were successful this year for a $630,000 communications grant and we now realize how well regional projects are accepted so we're hoping to continue to use that format. However, SCBA and PPE does not seem to be a great need on a regional basis. Of course there are departments who still need these items, but not on a large scale like communications. One of the items that was discussed was a fire training trailer, however I felt that the fact that the Illinois Fire Service Institute has a training facility nearly 30-60 miles away (depending on what area we are classifying) would offset that as a priority. So if anyone has any other suggestions then please post.

Also, for those who are more involved with the application process, do you know if there is going to be a different application for regional projects this year? I heard they were making it so regional projects could be easily identified, but I didn't know if that was a simple check box or if it was a whole new application.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They haven't made any progress at last check with altering the app for regional projects, that was a suggestion that several of us have been making for a few years. being a code jockey myself, it's an easy change to make on paper, but there is a much larger set of alterations and caveats to the process on the back end, so it may not happen for this year. They have been manually pulling and marking regional apps, which is why they said to make sure that all involved departments were listed in the narrative at the top.

You basically hit the big ones already for regional project type. SCBA is #2 on my list for regional possibilities after communications. PPE can go that route, but less arguments for it versus the other two. LDH/water supply (porta-ponds, drafting equipment, etc) is another that can be sold as a regional as well that makes sense.

Don't just throw something into a regional app thinking that it increases cost benefit automatically. Each dept's situation is considered when scoring regional apps, so a low priority is still a low priority. Each project must be considered for individual department first, then if all involved would be highly competitive for it, then go regional. Otherwise, it could gain a DJ for all instead of maybe just some. Again, depends on the situtation as analyzed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Don't just throw something into a regional app thinking that it increases cost benefit automatically.
    Right, understand and agree. Just speaking in general terms that regional projects have a greater appeal. I guess I wasn't looking for items to throw in a hat to pick out, but was more looking for items that fit the bill of a regional project just as the commo and SCBA equipment.

Thread Information