Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default any grants for EMS training?

Does anybody know of any grants to help cover costs of EMS training? We are a small vol. department and run a first responder program. We don't transport, but are the first department toned for medical calls in our coverage area. We have 3 medics (just finished schooling - previously only had EMT) on our department and one first responder right now. Two of us are looking to go get our EMT after the first of the year and several guys on the department want to get first responder certification. Right now it is all personal responsibility for those classes unless we can help the department secure the funding.
    Any help on where I could start looking would be great!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

AFG is about it that I can think of offhand. Most everything out there is for non-profit transport agencies.

Try working something with the transport entity in your area if they have any instructors certified to teach 1st responder or EMT-B. It benefits everyone if you have it, so should be something that can be done there.

What about HRSA? Would there be any money available through them?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ems grant

checkout .....WWW.boundtree.com......their website has a small grant program

FH Mag/.com Contributor

USDOT is another outlet that I thought used to have grants for non-profits for EMS related training and equipment. I'll check my contacts there and see what still exists, last time I remember seeing anything was many moons ago.

Forum Member

Not sure what state you are from, I have heard of a Dellroy F.D. in Ohio so if you folks are from there, there is an EMS grant for the state that is sent out at the beginning of each year that allows you to apply for training and equipment money.

And as BC stated, "the AFG is another one you can utilize, but doing so you will not be eligible to apply for fire service funds though. (at least that's the undestanding I have got).

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If the EMS agency is part of the FD, then you can only apply once to the AFG for anything. And they no longer help people out when something is done wrong, like both apply. They just throw the apps out. So make sure you meet all guidelines.

Forum Member

Exclamation You have???

Quote Originally Posted by orangebuster
    Not sure what state you are from, I have heard of a Dellroy F.D. in Ohio so if you folks are from there, there is an EMS grant for the state that is sent out at the beginning of each year that allows you to apply for training and equipment money.
    WHAT!?!?!? You've HEARD of Dellroy, OH? Where are you from?
    Last edited by DellroyVFD08; 11-16-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    If the EMS agency is part of the FD, then you can only apply once to the AFG for anything. And they no longer help people out when something is done wrong, like both apply. They just throw the apps out. So make sure you meet all guidelines.
    We did get our grant this year for our truck (which is to be used for our 1st responder program in addition to everything else). Next year I think our #1 need is going to be new t/o gear. We don't really need a huge amount of money for the classes...only a couple thousand dollars. We will probably find a way to come up with it by shorting somewhere else, but was hoping to find a way to "have our cake, and eat it too" and find a smaller grant for this type of thing.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I can understand that, I like cake. I liked it too much at a younger age which is why I avoid it now. It took some people until now when the Mrs hit 8 months along to realize I wasn't the one carrying the baby. It's a sympathy gut, yeah, that's the ticket...

Forum Member

Actually we are down on the Ohio Rive between Steubenville and Wheeling. Think we attended some parades together in the Strasburg, Bowerston, and Scio areas.

You will get some money from the Ohio Division of EMS if you apply. Real straight forward app, and again it comes out in December or January. Best thing to do is go to their site.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information