Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Volunteers looked down upon!

I dont know how the public looks at tour dept, but I here some say that they dont need Volunteers. They say all we do is drive fast and act like we are the s***, But when they need us we cant get there fast enough. Its not all of the public just a hand full. Does every dept have this problem or is it just the people around here They think that the city dept can cover them just fine. It takes me 15min running hot to get from the city just to the station, but they think that the city can get there fast enough in a pumper to save there house. Does any one else have this same problem?

Yeah thats how a lot of civilians who like to complain are. You ever hear them complain about a cop not responding fast enough, but yet they dont yell at the cop for driving fast, why not, ohh because hes got a shield and a gun and training. We all went for training as well.

Some public people who complain need to realize, we do a lot of training to do the things we do. From fighting fires to driving ambulances, its not "hey wanna drive through red lights? here are the keys" its training.

My response to civilians who complain "next time you have a heart attack, ask yourself how fast you want me at your residence"
    Adam, EMT-B

A lady near my dept would rat out guys from a neighboring dept saying they were going to fast or missed a stop sign even if it wasn't the case. Needless to say I will only run my red light on working fires..

We keep a handle on how our guys drive, and don't seem to have many complaints. As far as the public we have a good relationship. We participate in various community events and the town has even thrown appreciation picnics for us.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

You're not the only ones Police, DPW, Fire, EMS, Military, whatever.

If you work in public service citizens are going to complain. More than likely it has nothing to do with you being a volunteer (or it might). Some people are just anti-goverment and feel your just a drain on their property tax dollars (or however your state pays for its services). If you think its because your volunteer, well so what let them think what they want. I am sure no one gets in this field for the thanks and appreciation you receive, I know why I did and that is to provide a service to the community and that even includes the complainers.

Just remember they are out there and waiting for you to do something they can complain about.

When they are complaining to you, ask them if they want to join and see what's really going on. Invite them in to see your real world operations. We've ended up getting a couple good members by doing this and have stopped a lot of complaining.

But beware. IF and I mean IF, you are acting like a bunch of clowns, speeding when you shouldn't be, disobeying laws because of "lights" and doing things that truly don't make sense, then be prepared to suffer the truth.

It takes me 15min running hot to get from the city just to the station
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

There's always going to be someone to complain about something. My personal favorite is "Why are there so many people here?" Now let me say there are usually 5 or 6 trained people on the call. No one is extra, and certainly are not there to gauk at the pt.
    I like those people that report someone for going to fast and they don't have the right person. Happened that 2 chiefs (in different depts.) had the same vehicle. The citizen assumed it was one and it actually happened to be the other. OOOPS!

I've heard everything from "you guys do an outstanding job" to "you guys suck".
    I thank the ones that say the good things, and I remember addresses of the ones that say the bad things. So when im toned out in the middle of the night and its a "bad address" I'll more than likely go ahead and use the bathroom before I even leave the house, heck possibly brush my teeth too, depending on the call.

The plain and simple truth is that you are NOT going to please 100% of the community. No matter how hard you try, how behaved you are, or how much PR stuff you can churn out. So you aim to please as many as possible, and do your best. To complain is human nature, we all do it. There's always someone out there who just HAS to find the little faults and blow them up to compensate for something they lack...what it is... I don't know.

There also are ones out there who DO have valid complaints, and the offenders need to be counseled on how they conduct themselves, then disciplined accordingly.

FD SOP's should cover how a Firefighter conducts themselves in the public eye, whether it be using the common sense the good Lord gave ya, or actually telling you how to act.

If I had a dollar for everytime I've been called a basement saver.....
    Last edited by WMFF12; 11-15-2005 at 06:30 PM.
    Giggity - Giggity!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by savoy6
    You're not the only ones Police, DPW, Fire, EMS, Military, whatever.

If you work in public service citizens are going to complain. More than likely it has nothing to do with you being a volunteer (or it might). Some people are just anti-goverment and feel your just a drain on their property tax dollars (or however your state pays for its services). If you think its because your volunteer, well so what let them think what they want. I am sure no one gets in this field for the thanks and appreciation you receive, I know why I did and that is to provide a service to the community and that even includes the complainers.

Just remember they are out there and waiting for you to do something they can complain about.
    I agree with you, as a vollie and being in the Air Force, your right, you have the ones that love you to death and the ones that don't care untill they need you. Funny how that works. They love to complain about you and curse your name, untill, they have a fire, medical or in my case a draft lol.

Brothers and sisters, just don't loose sight of why we do it. For the cool TShirts and red lights some might say, but it is something we do that no one else dares. 343 of our brothers ran up when everyone else was running down. That is why we do it. Those guys are heros and allot of the public has already forgotten them.
    Bottom line, it is cause we are all smoke eaters, adreneline junkies and down right crazy people and the general public will never understand why we do it untill they walk in our boots.

Lt Chuck
    Bustin mine, saving yours!!

Forum Member

Just thought I would post this for you,

Firemen Don't Have A Chance

When the firetrucks are delayed 40 seconds in traffic. People say:
    It took them 20 minutes to get here.

When the truck races at 40 mph it's:
    Look at those reckless fools.

When four men struggle to set up an eight man ladder:
    They don't even know how to raise a ladder.

When firemen open windows for venting to reduce heat and smoke:
    Look at the wrecking crew.

When they open up the floor to get at the blaze:
    There goes the axe squad.

If the chief stands back where he can see to direct his people:
    He is afraid to go where he sent his people.

If they lose a building:
    they are a lousy department.

If they make a good stop, folks say:
    The fire didn't amount to much.

If lots of water is needed;
    They are doing more damage with the water than the flames.

If a firefighter gets hurt:
    He was a careless guy.

If a citizen gets hurt"
    It's a crazy department.

If a firemen inspects a citizens property:
    He's meddling in somebody bgproperties=fixes" business.

If he wants a fire hazard corrected:
    I'll see the mayor.

If he gets killed and leaves a family destitute:
    That's the chance he took when he joined the fire department.

As you can relate, there are people out there that have and will use all these sayings and more about volunteer firefighters and EMT'S.

But remember, we are our own worst enemies when it comes to public relations and reaching out to people to show them who we really are and what we really do.

Even if we did, we would still get those people that frown on us like we have the plague. It can be many reasons why, from people who were not addmitted to the department, to people that may have been removed.

In any case, we know why we do what we do, and hey, we live in the best darn country in the world and people can say what they want here. That's the freedom we chose to have, and that is the neatest part of this country.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Right on, ORANGE!

Proud to be an American!

I have never heard anyone complain that fire apparatus was going to fast, just people on here complaining that people were complaining.......Hmmmmm...... ..
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IGotTheJumpSeat
    I've heard everything from "you guys do an outstanding job" to "you guys suck".
    I thank the ones that say the good things, and I remember addresses of the ones that say the bad things. So when im toned out in the middle of the night and its a "bad address" I'll more than likely go ahead and use the bathroom before I even leave the house, heck possibly brush my teeth too, depending on the call.
    Just because somebody complains about you does not mean that you slow youre response to that location, then they have more to complain about. Regardless of who it is, what theyve said about you, or anything else, you still need to respond in the same manner as those people that praise you all the time. How would you fill if you needed help and they took there time getting to you, that would **** me off.....but hey, whatever you want to do, slower response times are what helps paid FF's take over, thats the battle my dept fights everyday!
    The only true fear is fear itself!

Quote Originally Posted by CHUGIAKFFEMT2
    Just because somebody complains about you does not mean that you slow youre response to that location, then they have more to complain about. Regardless of who it is, what theyve said about you, or anything else, you still need to respond in the same manner as those people that praise you all the time. How would you fill if you needed help and they took there time getting to you, that would **** me off.....but hey, whatever you want to do, slower response times are what helps paid FF's take over, thats the battle my dept fights everyday!

I totally agree. I was simply using that as a medaphore (sp?). Our volunteer Dept. still has the fastest responce times out of all other volie depts in the county, wether people crap in my wheaties or not.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

The majority of the people in our communities support their fire departments unconditionally and makes our jobs much easier.
    The few who complain makes our jobs a little harder, but not unbearable.
    But the minute you violate your public's trust, whether real or perceived, all of the good things that you have done and all of the good feelings between you and your community will disappear in a heartbeat.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

I agree! For every wrong thing you do you have to do 10 right things to make it right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Our Driving

I think its funny when people complain about our driving. Our house is on Boston Post Rd, a very busy street. When I am pulling back into the house, lights on etc people never seem to see all the red lights!!! I can't tell you how many times people try to pass me on the left as I am about to swing the rig out to back in. Usually a nice blast of the horn gets their attention. I had one guy pull his car over and chase me down on the pad to because I gave him a blast of the horn. Too bad for him, it gave one of my guys enough time to grab his tag number and drop off at the local PD. Failure to yeild will get you a ticket in CT!!!!
    IACOJ Lt-Eng32ine

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by FFCLTE32
    I think its funny when people complain about our driving. Our house is on Boston Post Rd, a very busy street. When I am pulling back into the house, lights on etc people never seem to see all the red lights!!! I can't tell you how many times people try to pass me on the left as I am about to swing the rig out to back in. Usually a nice blast of the horn gets their attention. I had one guy pull his car over and chase me down on the pad to because I gave him a blast of the horn. Too bad for him, it gave one of my guys enough time to grab his tag number and drop off at the local PD. Failure to yeild will get you a ticket in CT!!!!
    Does failure to yield only apply when responding to a call, or does it also apply when you're backing into the station? I would think that just backing into the station, it would be inconvenient to have to wait for traffic to clear, but it's not the same as when responding to a call, IMO.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

If what I have been told by the senior officiers in my dept, its when you have the lights on. It all comes down to safety, you lights are on and you are backing the rig into the barn you stand back. The police don't seem to have a problem writing the tickets. I have seen them do it twice since I have been in. The nice thing is the police block the road for us about 15% of the time when we come back to the fd becuase some of our district is on a peninsula they have to pass by our house to get back to the main road.
    IACOJ Lt-Eng32ine

Thread Information