Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mileage from station

Was just offered employment, and live about 1 mile out of thier mileage requirement. How strict are departments with this? They give a year to move, but when the year is up will they make a big deal about the 1 mile?? Just wondering if anyone has had some experiences with this. How do they verify your residence?? Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Varies from place to place... but

Why don't you ask them now, don't wait for a year to go by.

And if they are strict about it... how bad you want the job? Is it worth moving for?

And then of course there are those who find "creative" ways around the system.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

I spoke with the chief, he said "I advise you to continue with the physical". I kind of took that as "dont worry about it".

Id move for the job, but my wife wont, tough situation. I don't want to let a mile ruin this opportunity. I think they might make a big deal if im not coming in for overtime and things like that. That wont happen.

Getting creative is A last resort.

Forum Member

My department wasnt real strict on the mileage. They liked us to be within 10 miles of town, but for volunteers that is a ways away. Anybody that lived 7-10 miles out they tried to get to work on shifts.

I now live in Florida. I don't know how strict the city is on mileage, but I was trying to get on as a ranger with the state and you have to live within 20 miles of your ranger station. They will physically go and drive it to make sure you are within 20 miles. If you are 20 miles and 1 tenth, they send you on your way.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont think this dept would go to that length, to actually drive it. They go by a radius, not miles driven. Does anyone know how they get proof of your residenece?

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matty8378
    I dont think this dept would go to that length, to actually drive it. They go by a radius, not miles driven. Does anyone know how they get proof of your residenece?
    Mailing Address
    Property Tax Record
    Utility Billing
    Phone Bill
    Vehicle Registration
    Drivers License
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

I work for a department in cook county just outside of chicago. Most full time departments in this area have some sort of residency requirement, be it milage based, township based, ect. I can only say that the departments around here are 100% serious about the requirements. 2 FF from the next town over just lost their jobs because they lived outside of the 13 mile limit (full-timers). In Chicago you are automatically fired, no questions. Per my fire service law teacher, there is no case in IL where a FF has won an appeal for being fired for living outside of set boundaries. My advice is that this is the best job in the world, take the job and move. P.S. The Chief may say don't worry about it now, but wait ten years until your the union president and he hates you. Then he may just use it to fire you. In the end it is easier to play by the rules.
    Last edited by FFSmitty1; 11-16-2005 at 12:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well the wife finally gave in and said lets sell the house. I beat out 200 or so people for 1 job! I kept stressing that to her and it sank in. Thanks for the advive though!

MembersZone Subscriber

You made the right choice on two counts.
    First and foremost, this is only a JOB, your family is forever.
    Secondly, not being in compliance with the directive to move into the boundary is a BIG mistake and sends a message to the department.
    As a probationary employee you do not want to do anything to draw attention to yourself.
    Lastly, with mapquest it takes about 30 seconds to look up your address on the department roster and plot a course (distance) to your home.

Head into your new job with your head held high, not looking for exceptions to the rule.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of:
    Smoke Your Firefighter Interview
    The Aspiring Firefighter's Two-Year Plan
    Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam (Coming soon)
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information