Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Stop listening to Total Fire/MP. They did not invent kevlar, the sewing machine, or the zipper. A "proprietary" name does not make a new material.
    Who said anything about those things.

You stated that "All the mfg of TO gear can provide you with any combination of materials desired. " This is a false statement on two levels. First, some outer shell materials require specific inner shell materials or shouldn't be used with certain inner shell materials or vice versa. So, technically you can't necessarily get "any combination" desired.

Second, Securitex has at least 1 outer shell fabric (2F3) that is not available from any other manufacturer. At the time we did our spec, they had another, but I can't recall the name off hand (dura something I think). Globe has/had(?) a reinforcement material (Dragonhide) that is not available from other manufacturers (except Cairns).

I found this information from sources other than TFG/MP.

In any case there are more material choices on the market than are needed or which anyone can logically chose from (at each major level of protection).
    I agree that there is certainly more choices available than we probably need, but I didn't find it very hard to sort thru those choices when doing our specs.

I have sets of MP, Janesville, and Veridain. MP is the poorest construction/sewing. Lots of great PR/marketing materials though. Of the 3 Veridian is best in the bang for the buck.
    I can't comment on the Veridian since I've never seen it and I have limited exposure to Janesville in terms of their sewing quality, but I don't care for some of the design aspects of their gear. However, I totally disagree that MP has the poorest construction/sewing. Our current MP gear is far superior in all aspects to the Securitex gear it replaced.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Second, Securitex has at least 1 outer shell fabric (2F3) that is not available from any other manufacturer.
    I LOVE that material! It looks and feels just like nylon and cleans just as easily. It looks beautiful in black.

Globe has/had(?) a reinforcement material (Dragonhide) that is not available from other manufacturers (except Cairns).
    Cairns and Globe are the same company now. Why they still keep the two lines seperate, they have the same owner.

However, I totally disagree that MP has the poorest construction/sewing. Our current MP gear is far superior in all aspects to the Securitex gear it replaced.
    I would take MP over Securitex as well. I think Securitex lacks reinforcement in the proper areas. In fact, i have heard from othr people that they have had failures in seams on them.

Thread Information