Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Globe Turnout Gear

My question is since I began in the fire service 15 yrs. ago Globe gear was cheap gear both in quality and price.We have been in Morning Pride since I became a firefighter, now our department has just ordered globe to change us all out to. Has there quality improved and is anybody satisfied with Globe gear? Thanks for you imput.

MembersZone Subscriber mightymouse21's Avatar

Smile OMG!!! Globe Gear Rocks!!

My department was awarded the FEMA Grant in 2004 we purchased new gear for all activer firefighters from globe, and this gear literally rocks.

WE got the Globe Extreme Milennium gear which is top of the line from them now.

The tp is extremely high, flexability and motabilty in this gear is awesome.

I have had this set since april and love it i have fought several structure fires in this stuff and several nasty car accidents and holds up well. Also, this gear is completely waterproof from this inside not like the stuff from janesville that has the water proofer sewn into the material of the outershell, my gear dries from completly wet or after a wash in about 1 - 4 hours. This gear maintains a 700lb rip strength meaing that it takes 700lbs to rip the fabric so this is very durable stuff.

I would recommend you contact your globe dealer and see if they can get you a copy of the "Mineral Wells" spec which is the dealer in our areas home department for full details.

All of our firefighters in our department are very pleased with the globe gear, and we will probably never vary away from it for a long long long time, also it has a 10 year no questions asked warranty for repairs or replacement, that if you working a good fire and get a sleeve ripped off or something really nasty done to it in the line of duty its replaced free of charge. The only option that we didn't have was the dragonhide knee savers installed because they where released to the dealers as an option like a month after we ordered them.

It took about 90 days for our department to receive the 16 sets we ordered and another 12 on back order for future members.

This gear is very lite weight and it breathes to keep the firefighter cool in the summer and warm in the winter, I really like it compared to the Innotex and Chieftan, and FireDex that I have had in the past, oh and i forgot i use janesville on a department while i was in college, and I will put globe up against all 4 of them on any day.

Only downfall to globe is the expense, we spent rougthly 1300-1400 per suit just coat,pants, and suspenders for each firefighter but discounts where given for the quantaties that we ordered. But, now our department sees that it was money well spent.

Hope this helps.

THANKS!!!

Chris Underwood BOVFD-3021

Quote Originally Posted by CpaceEng1
    My question is since I began in the fire service 15 yrs. ago Globe gear was cheap gear both in quality and price.We have been in Morning Pride since I became a firefighter, now our department has just ordered globe to change us all out to. Has there quality improved and is anybody satisfied with Globe gear? Thanks for you imput.
    Interesting. I have worn Globe gear for most of my fire service career. Always held up and certainly wasnt "cheap".
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Yeah, i've never put Globe and Cheap together. We have sets of Globe gear that are 20+ years old that have held up really well (they are not used for firefighting anymore, just spare sets juniors use) My current set is 12 years old and it is still kickin *** maintenance wise (and it's doin real well in the academy)

My company is using part of our 2005 FEMA grant and a state grant to pay for 20 sets of Globe gear (PBI/Kevlar) We looked at the other gear makers, but we went with Globe because of their quality and reliability. We tried Fyrepel gear a few years ago, and absolutely do not like it. Never had a problem with Globe.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

No problems w/ my globe. Maybe you got a bum set?
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

You think $1,300 to $1,400 a set is expensive. We just ordered Morning Pride for a little over $1,700 a set. PBI outer, E89 thermal liner, crosstech moisture barrier. Pricey? Yes but an investment that is worth it for our guys. Before this we used Globe gear and it was great gear, we just decided to go with the MP. I wouldn't think twice about using Globe gear, it is great stuff.

Forum Member

We are looking at MP and the reaction gear with the PBI Matrix outter and E89 INT Cross Tech. The material that both use comes from the same mills. The difference is in how they cut the material to put it together. We are looking for the best price so we can put $ towards boots etc. I have a member that swears by MP but others in neighboring Depts that hate MP, too heavy. I think it is like a pair of jeans, some like lee, some wrangler, and some levis.

DRFD50

We received a grant this year to replace our gear. We have always used Globe but since we are replacing it all we invited both Globe and MP to come and pitch there stuff. They both gave us trial gear and a good presentation. After comparing the two side by side and reading all of there litature all six of our companies voted for Globe.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Three quarter length coats

Does anyone still wear three quarter length turnout coats? If so what is the general feeling as to the pros versus the cons?

Globe has been building QUALITY Turn out gear for over a Century.I would certainly rate it as superior to Morning pride.I like the way Globe is stiched and the way it "hangs".Plus the FACTORY is less than two hours away. We've Beta tested other brands from time to time but we keep coming back to Globe. No MP for me,thanks. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by benson11 View Post
    You think $1,300 to $1,400 a set is expensive. We just ordered Morning Pride for a little over $1,700 a set. PBI outer, E89 thermal liner, crosstech moisture barrier. Pricey? Yes but an investment that is worth it for our guys. Before this we used Globe gear and it was great gear, we just decided to go with the MP. I wouldn't think twice about using Globe gear, it is great stuff.
    I was gonna say the same thing. When we bought our MP gear about 3 1/2 years ago, it was just over $1700 a set. The Globe G-xtreme gear that was our second choice came in at virtually the same price.

I've never had a problem with Globe gear myself and we (the committee) liked the new Globe gear, but the MP was clearly superior for the same price. Haven't heard much of anything complaint wise from the guys and it's working out great so far. Personally, it's the best gear I've ever worn hands down and don't want to stray, but if we did I wouldn't hesitate to use Globe again.

Forum Member

If you're paying over $1600/set TODAY you should be getting PBI Matrix shell and top of the line MB/TL.

You need to be talking to some of the sources OTHER THAN Globe or Morning Pride. You can get better sewn gear for less $. That extra $200/set you're paying to support their advertising and marketing BS does nothing to protect your FF. The extra cash you're throwing at Globe/Morning Pride could have purchased each FF a new helmet or leather boots. How smart is that?

All the mfg of TO gear can provide you with any combination of materials desired.

We've "tried"some of that other "superior"gear.NOT EVEN CLOSE in terms of service life.And there are about six Mfgs of gear that I wouldn't even wear,much less recommend. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    If you're paying over $1600/set TODAY you should be getting PBI Matrix shell and top of the line MB/TL.
    We did.

You need to be talking to some of the sources OTHER THAN Globe or Morning Pride. You can get better sewn gear for less $. That extra $200/set you're paying to support their advertising and marketing BS does nothing to protect your FF. The extra cash you're throwing at Globe/Morning Pride could have purchased each FF a new helmet or leather boots. How smart is that?
    I did talk to other manufacturers when I was working on my department's last gear spec. As for getting "better sewn gear for less $" from other sources, I'll just say that I certainly don't agree with that opinion.

All the mfg of TO gear can provide you with any combination of materials desired.
    Actually, you're wrong about that. Most of the materials are available to all of the manufacturers, however there are some proprietary materials that are only available to specific manufacturers.

We just got 40 all new top of the line Janesville Gear this past year on a grant, and so far it is a vast improvement over the older Janesville gear that we had. We looked at Globe turnout gear and it is very nice but we decided to go with Janesville so that we could have enough money to buy everyone a pair of leather boots. With the money we saved we were able purchased the new Globe leather boots. They are the best boots in the world and well worth the money, and if Globes turnout gear is like their boots you will be pleased.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

I have a set of all 3 janesville,globe and mp and the globe i use for teaching in a class a building and has by far held up better than any other tog on the market today i have the reaxtion with the 6" xps panel andi absolutely love it. it is lightweight and the range of movement in the jacket is far superior to mp and janesville i am now trying to convince the chief in my department to switch from janesville

Forum Member

In all of the years I have been in the business, I have never seen anything cheap or poor quality about Globe. I have used several brands (paid/volly) and each time the Globe product has shown superior. Either you have been blessed with the one "lemon" that they may have produced or you have a vested interest in another brand. No problem there, just saying that Globe is quality stuff and widely respected.

As others have noted, to each their own. If you have experience with another brand and it works for you, great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 52shelby View Post
    In all of the years I have been in the business, I have never seen anything cheap or poor quality about Globe. I have used several brands (paid/volly) and each time the Globe product has shown superior. Either you have been blessed with the one "lemon" that they may have produced or you have a vested interest in another brand. No problem there, just saying that Globe is quality stuff and widely respected.

As others have noted, to each their own. If you have experience with another brand and it works for you, great.

Agreed 100%. I have a Globe turnout from 20 years ago that i still use as a winter coat at times and the quality is great. My current issue Globe gear is (in my opinion) superior to everything else. And i have seen and tried plenty.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post

Actually, you're wrong about that. Most of the materials are available to all of the manufacturers, however there are some proprietary materials that are only available to specific manufacturers.
    Stop listening to Total Fire/MP. They did not invent kevlar, the sewing machine, or the zipper. A "proprietary" name does not make a new material.

In any case there are more material choices on the market than are needed or which anyone can logically chose from (at each major level of protection).

I have sets of MP, Janesville, and Veridain. MP is the poorest construction/sewing. Lots of great PR/marketing materials though. Of the 3 Veridian is best in the bang for the buck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Stop listening to Total Fire/MP. They did not invent kevlar, the sewing machine, or the zipper. A "proprietary" name does not make a new material.

In any case there are more material choices on the market than are needed or which anyone can logically chose from (at each major level of protection).
    Excellent post.

The most popular outer shell materials:

PBI MATRIX
    PBI
    MILLENIA
    ADVANCE ULTRA
    BASOFIL
    ADVANCE
    NOMEX IIIA
    Aluminized PBI
    GUARDIAN
    BARRAGE
    GLADIATOR

Are not manufactured by any of the turnout manufacturers. They are made by textile companies who sell the turnout manufacturers. So long as a turnout manufacturer is willing to use the material, you can have them build you a coat to the specs you want. Most of the proprietary items on turnouts are features that are either invented and patented by the turnout company or they have the exclusive license for it. But more then anything, these are generally the patterns and stitching designs. Morning Pride's Shingle Cuff and Globe's GX7 design are examples or proprietary features of manufacturers. You could take a Morning Pride turnout and a Globe turnout both made of the same exact shell material and in the same exact sizes and put them side by side and despite being an identical material, you will still have two VERY different coats.

The patterns and stitching are absolutley crucial in the difference of a good turnout and a great turnout. I have tried on Janesville, MP, Globe, Lion, Fire Dex, Fyrepel and Sperian and i can tell you first hand, some are nice, some are uncomfortable and some are great. And that is just fit and feel. But then you can start looking at the details. Case in point, the Sperian fits me well, but the stitching does not look as secure as Globe. The Lion gear fits odd and just seems very poorly made. I could go on and on.

I simply prefer Globe. It fits great and in my opinion they have the best quality control. My second favorite is the MP stuff, but it just seems very inconsistent. I just get the impression the the people making it are in some sort of a rush if that makes any sense?

Like with cars and virtually every other product on the market, advertising can be misleading. Don't read into it too much. See it for yourself or come on forums and hope to read unbiased reviews. Obviously there are "brand whores" who like a product simply because it's what they were issued and will therefore defend it vigorously despite never having even tried another brand. It's VERY common with the SCBA crowd. Even worse, is the people who love a product they have never even used because (for example) the FDNY uses it! But that is them, i'm me. I use what works best for me. I could care less if the FDNY or anybody else uses it.

Thread Information