Thread: Axel Ratings??

Forum Member

Default Axel Ratings??

If the Pierce Tak-4 is rated for 24k, then why is the biggest dual rear end only rated for 31k? If your can get a rear axel rated for 31k, why cant your have tandems rated for 62k? The biggest I have seen tandems is 54k. What kind of tires does Pierce use on the Tak-4? thoes must be MANY plies to hold that kind of weight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    If the Pierce Tak-4 is rated for 24k, then why is the biggest dual rear end only rated for 31k? If your can get a rear axel rated for 31k, why cant your have tandems rated for 62k? The biggest I have seen tandems is 54k. What kind of tires does Pierce use on the Tak-4? thoes must be MANY plies to hold that kind of weight.
    Our new engine with the Tak-4 uses the same size tires as our other engines that dont have it, and smaller then our quint that also doesnt have it. When I get to work Saturday Ill get the size for you.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Ledebuhr,I believe the 31k is presently offered ONLY as a single. The most common tandem used to be 38k or twin 23's offered as 44-46k.Part of the capacity is the X and part is the wheel/tire combination.They must be using derated 29's to get 56. I think the reason for no twin 31's has more to do with the Fed bridge formula than the inability to pair the 31's. I can't imagine the "horse" you could built on a 24/62. Dream a little? T.C.

Forum Member

So its not that it cant be built, its just that it would be too heavy? Our district has only two VERY small "bridges". if you dont have to cross any bidges, why would you not want a heavier axel? I know of several departments around here that have never crossed a bridge.

If you could put twin 31k in the rear and Tak-4 in the front that would be 86k gross. No need for additional tankers, just carry everything on one truck.

Forum Member

Default axle

The 31000 lb rear axle only comes as a single. The problem with them is that they are a substitute for duals to meet minumums for rear load. If you are pushing the envelope for rear weight then why not a dually in the 40000 lb range. The 31000 lb rear requires you to pull the axle shaft to change brakes, yuk. Most major axle manufacturers have web sites that you can get all the info you need to include braking applications. Never short change axle weight applications to gain some compartment space or shortchange braking but don't try to overbuild too far either.

Thread Information