Forum Member

Default do any of your juniors/explorers use cobra two way radios or motorola's.

I was just wondering if any junior departments use just the simple two way radios you can buy at walmart etc.... and how do they work for you because my junior company is in the market for some and i was wondering what would be the most durable and at a decent price??? We might buy 4 of them or we might just buy 2 of them for our Captain and Lieutenant all pending on the price???

Forum Member

Talking Buy2

You should buy a radio for each person that wants one.

Forum Member

I dont see the need. Explorers dont give orders to other explorers, all orders come from the IC. It would be a better investment to get some scanners to monitor the actual channel that communications for the incident is going over, rather than try and start your own. Seems like a recipe for confusion.

Forum Member

Have you considered purchasing a few lower-end portables for this project?

Motorola CP200s, or something along those lines would work great, and there are frequencies that are open nationwide for anyone to use. With the CP200, or similar radio, you'll be getting alot higher quality, many more features (monitoring of fire ground if you so choose, etc), and will generally have higher audio quality...

Just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Talking Cobra

Try the 10 or 12 mile radius cobras at wal-mart

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMZ108
    Try the 10 or 12 mile radius cobras at wal-mart
    Please tell me your kidding right? You Take the second digit off those numbers and you will be more realistic.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

This radio idea sounds kinda good. In what way would you be using your radios? I have considered doing this to and was just wondering how your going to use them.

Forum Member

Default to matt58

i appreciate ur reply i feel that we will use these radios during skills sessions and for pack training and when we are on a truck and need to communicate to another junior on another piece of equiptment. Im not sure of what radios to buy though??

Forum Member

Angry Yeah Right!

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Please tell me your kidding right? You Take the second digit off those numbers and you will be more realistic.

I have both sets and they work for the radius that it says. Why don't you check yourself before you make calls like that!

Forum Member

We have family radios at our post and sometimes when needed, people bring in their own ones to use. They are definatly an advantage, even when we are at a drill where we get the big portables, we keep the family radios with us for communication between explorers in our post. This way we do not clog up the other frequencies.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I have both sets and they work for the radius that it says. Why don't you check yourself before you make calls like that!
    FRS radios.. 12 miles?
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I hate FRS. The channels are too crowded, **** poor range, and some people have a fetish with the alert sounds.

...but an upside is they are cheap, small and not too hard to get a hold of ('cause everyone has them- see previouslly listed downside).

I have been letting the explorers use my MURS VHF radios. Much better range, and I paid about the same for them (used) as most any FRS. The frequencies are also less congested.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 11-17-2005 at 05:50 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    FRS radios.. 12 miles?
    Perhaps in GMRS mode. But those channels require a license.

Forum Member

Listen Junior. You apparently haven't been around here long and clearly don't know jack about two-way radio communications. You haven't a clue what you're talking about so I suggest you do the checking before you run your mouth like that. Try again kid.

Forum Member

Listen Junior. You apparently haven't been around here long and clearly don't know jack about two-way radio communications. You haven't a clue what you're talking about so I suggest you do the checking before you run your mouth like that. Try again kid.

I know they work for the distances said because I have 2 years of working with them.Don't insult my knowledge of communications pal.

Forum Member

Don't insult my knowledge of communications pal.
    Ok kid. I'm sorry, I've insulted the communications god, the all knowing because he has some bubble-pack toy radios from walmart. Get real junior.
    Last edited by nmfire; 11-19-2005 at 12:01 AM.

Forum Member

I know they work for the distances said because I have 2 years of working with them.Don't insult my knowledge of communications pal.
    12 miles without a repeater (Illegal on FRS, very few for GMRS) is impossible. Flat out, impossible.

Knowledge of communications? Nice try.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I should at least answer the question, I was distracted by Mr. Know-it-all there for a little bit.

For Junior/Explorer use on scene, the little FRS radio are probably the best thing you can get. They are cheap which good sine most of you probably don't have much money. They aren't valuble if they get broken. They are short range and they don't require licensing. Just don't over-use them and look idiots talking about everything. Maintain your profesionalism with them!

Forum Member

I should at least answer the question, I was distracted by Mr. Know-it-all there for a little bit.

For Junior/Explorer use on scene, the little FRS radio are probably the best thing you can get. They are cheap which good sine most of you probably don't have much money. They aren't valuble if they get broken. They are short range and they don't require licensing. Just don't over-use them and look idiots talking about everything. Maintain your profesionalism with them!

That is exactly why we use them. We also instruct our probies in the IC/Communications drill that is one of the first classes they get, that they must be short, consise, and to the point on the radios, whether they are family radios from wal-mart or the department portables.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245
    I dont see the need. Explorers dont give orders to other explorers, all orders come from the IC. It would be a better investment to get some scanners to monitor the actual channel that communications for the incident is going over, rather than try and start your own. Seems like a recipe for confusion.

He is right u should buy some scanners and just put your FD channel in them only. other wise u will just screwed up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTFD164
    He is right u should buy some scanners and just put your FD channel in them only. other wise u will just screwed up
    Niiiiiiiice

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Dont know if this has already been suggested or not because I didn't take the time to read every post. But, you could try to get some portable CB Radios and find a channel with low chatter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTFD164
    Is there a translator in the house?

Forum Member

If your going to use the scanner idea, i would just get a two channel pager and get your fireground channel programmed into one of the channels. they might be more rugged than the cheapo scanner, and they can double as your pager to dispatch you.

Forum Member

Unhappy

heck the explores in my department will be lucky to get pagers

Thread Information