Forum Member

Default Quick turnout gear grant question

Turnout gear as far as the grant people see it... Bunker pants and coat or can we get boots gloves helmets along with the new pants and coat???

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

We received funding for full gear that included boots, pants, coat, gloves, hood and helmet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Answer

To the best of my knowledge, turnout gear represents Helmet, hood, coat, pant, gloves, and boot. However when you ask in your grant be very specific. You can either ask for some or all. But they cap pants & coat only at $1700.00.

Forum Member

I think it is all in how you write the grant. We did everything individual. The coats and pants they asked us if we would take a cut from 28 to 24 sets. Gave us $1200.00 for them. Also depends on type of material as well and what they give. How ever they did give us the 28 sets of boots, helmets, gloves and hoods. In long run it was worth us doing listing everything individual although we lost out on 4 pants and coats we still received the other things. May not have gotten them with they where listed together.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

In our 2003 AFG I listed each item seperate, boots, pant, coat. We did not need helmets because they were one year old at that time and I did include that information in the narrative just to clear up any questions. The actual purchace price on many items came in lower than the original quotes so we asked for permission and then used the remaining dollars ( after everything listed in the grant was bought) to buy gloves.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also seperated items as SWCHIEF did for the 2003 grant. We asked for coats, pants, and boots. Did not need helmets or gloves. Final purchase price for other equipment we got in 2003 were a good bit lower than budgeted for in the program. This enabled us to buy better quality gear than we initiallyt set out to. If you have any more questions let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the '05 App they had the option of asking for each piece (Coat, Pants, Helmet, Boots, etc) and they had an option for "Complete set of turnout"

In hind sight - I think we would have been better off to list & price each item separately however I requested the "Complete set of turnout" option and then in the notes (and narrative) went on to detail exactly what we were requesting.

We were reduced from 25 to 20 sets & from $2500 to $2k per "Complete set of turnout" which was a little less that what my pricing came to, but I think through a little competitive negotiations - we'll be able to meet that limit o.k.

FYI - we are getting Helmet, Hood, Coat, Pants, (Leather) Boots, and Gloves (And if I horse trade good enough - maybe a gear bag to store it in).

firehoser2722- If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you a copy of my narrative to use as an example. Just send me an e-mail or PM. Heck if enough people are interested I'll just post it here.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

N2DFire

I would like a copy of your narrative. We were turned down in peer review this year so we need to go for it again next year. Thanks. My email is bucknerfire@yahoo.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

N2DFire, if you want to avoid sending a few thousand emails, send it over to me and I'll post it on my web site. Prior samples section is free to peruse for everyone, I said I'd always leave that section there for everyone to see for free since they aren't mine anyway, and I will continue to do so as long as I have the web site.

As I said before, I lay no claim to them except for the ones I wrote for my own deparment. Reminds me, I need to put up this year's. Just an FYI, I will be changing the layout to be by project, and removing the successful/unsuccessful marks. There are bad narratives that win, and poor ones that lose, and something to be learned from both. For instance, sometimes the non-FF proofed narrative is the result of choosing the wrong project for the problem. Proper solutions write their own narratives most of the time. And if that still doesn't work, it was just the fact that someone had a worse problem than you, and just as good of a solution. It happens.

MembersZone Subscriber

We were lucky enought to be granted for 20+ complete sets, plus an extractor to keep them clean. We explained that we were piece-mealing gear orders over the years, a coat here, pants there, helmets, gloves hoods etc as needed. That gave us quite a broad range of equipment. The grant put everyone in current safe gear, that all looks alike and is interchangeable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Gear Grant

We were successful this year for 40 sets of PPE we asked for helmets, hoods, jackets, pants, gloves and leather boots. We were awarded $2000.00 per person to make the complete sets. I took the time to look at each person's sets and see how old they were and incorporated the number of sets older than 5 years as non-complient. Since they recommend replacement every 5-7 years. and gave the percentage of sets we had to replace. They apparently like to see you did your homework and not just throw something together. I got TONS of help from the "Grant Guru's" on this forum and Tons more from brothers and sisters in the fire service on successfull narratives. Anyone wanting to look at it I can forward it to you if you like. I started working on mine this time last year so it is never too early to get things going. Makes for a less stressful last week during the application period.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    N2DFire, if you want to avoid sending a few thousand emails, send it over to me and I'll post it on my web site.
    Sounds like a good plan. I'm currently on the wrong computer (grant stuff is on my laptop) so I'll get it to you as soon as I get back on that system.

Quote Originally Posted by craigsheets
    I took the time to look at each person's sets and see how old they were and incorporated the number of sets older than 5 years as non-complient. Since they recommend replacement every 5-7 years. and gave the percentage of sets we had to replace. They apparently like to see you did your homework and not just throw something together.
    Same here & I agree that they like to see research. The second part of my grant was for Misc. Equipment for Water Supply & RIT. In my narrative I told how we had already identified areas of our operations that needed work, how we picked these areas, what we planned to do to fix them, and how this equipment would lead to that end.

For 2006 we are going to write for a new Tanker as the next "phase" of the Water Supply project, and as others have said - I have already started to work on it.
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Update - Brian - file inbound via e-mail.
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

FH Mag/.com Contributor

10-Q. I saw it, just have to wade through the rest of the Inbox to get to it. Amazing how messages pile up when I'm out teaching seminars, or out of touch with the Internet period.

Thread Information