Forum Member

Wink Masons drive Strange Election at the Firehouse

We just elected officers at our fire department this month and a strange thing happened. Members that had just joined the department late last year were appointed and elected to line officers positions. They are also about to be "raised up" a level in the local Masons Hall. The Chief, a high ranking Mason, pushed and pulled to get these guys in position. They have no real training, no leadership skills, but they are now our leaders. I didn't vote for them. And no this is not a sour grape post. I work for a paid department about 50 miles from home and cannot take an officers position at this time.

They all wear the rings and do the "secret handshakes" but does being a mason give you built in leadership skills.

Forum Member

That is why there should be written requirements/standards to be an officer. Don't have that in your by-laws, write them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Politics is no place for fire officers. These are command positions. These are leadership positions. These are teaching and advising positions.

The chief was way out of line in these actions. I agree with Bones that you need set standards to be met before you can be appointed or "elected" into these positions.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Where you have people, a certain percent will be like that. Ask that chief if you could take a chair at the lodge, in front of his line of officers. Tell him you would like the oriental chair in the east please. Because you're in the fire service, he should be able to get you into that position.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

Default Rossco

Thats some pretty funny stuff.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Or Ask "who Could Help A Widows Son"

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow. Nobody could have possibly predicted that there would be a political bent to the volunteer fire service.

You guys might be whipped for this election. Beat them at their own game. Get your people in the seats, present a proposal for new rules for officer qualifications and then ram it home. Just make sure you have the votes in the seats before you do it.

Forum Member

Here's what I want to know. Why are the Masons wanting to be in these positions? All of the sudden they want to be firemen? There must be some sort of agenda here. Sounds like the chief needs to go as well. Anyone putting untrained men in training and leadership positions doesn't deserve to be chief without some sort of explanation.

I think it is wrong and I worry that they are just using their postions in your department for some sort of political gain, in one group or the other. Just my guess.

Forum Member

Stonecutters' Song

Who controls the British crown?
    Who keeps the metric system down?
    We do! We do!
    Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
    Who keeps the martians under wraps?
    We do! We do!
    Who holds back the electric car?
    Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
    We do! We do!
    Who robs the cave fish of their sight?
    Who rigs every Oscars night?
    We do! We do!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Dennis,

Every time I see some Mason's sticker on a car I think of that.

Once again, the Simpsons have advice for life. That is why it is such a good show.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

requirements requirements requirements ! thats the only way around the good ol boy system .

IE:
    2nd Lt : ics 200, 3 yrs on dep, ff1 , haz ops , haz awareness,RIT training, eng. co.ops.

1st Lt : held position of 2nd Lt for complete yr., all prior requirements plus truck co. ops.

Capt: held 1 & 2nd Lt position for complete yr., all prior requirements plus
    I-300
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

As a member of the Blue Lodge I can only say that it's one of the most rewarding. As a past Vol, I do understand the things that go's on when you have elections within a Fire Department. It end's up being part of the buddy system. I'd say that this is not the way I think the Masonic Lodge would want to paint a picture to show that this is the way All Mason's really are. I would also ask that out of respect to the one's that are Mason's and brother Firefighters to at least respect them, as I do. Remember an election takes more than one person.

And Goose,,,,If you know that much about the Masonic Lodge as I read in your second post....I'd hope that your not a Mason.....You have no clue the real meaning behind those important words. Maybe you should ask the Chief about getting an application. As a old mason once told me. " The Masonic lodge is only taking a good man and making him a better one. "

Thanks....

Jason Turner
    A.F. & A. M
    Leadwood Lodge 598
    "In God we Trust"
    JCFD
    Last edited by jdturner04; 11-18-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Forum Member

Default Oh Please!!!!

I've been a firefighter for 22 Years and a Mason for 13.

THE TWO HAVE NEVER CROSSED PATHS!

If what you say is event remotely true, the grand lodge of freemasons in your state should be contacted. If proven true the chief and his appointee's will be tossed out of their lodge so fast they wont know what hit them.

If it is just another "conspiracy" that is being looked for, give it up!
    The masons are a Fraternity - That's It!
    Their "Secrets" are free for anyone to find on the net, or the library, or from any mason himself - Just ask, we need more good people!

In thirteen years as a mason I have never RECIEVED:
    Any special consideration in any part of my life,
    A ride in a black helicopter,
    Gold, money, or prestige of any sort.

In thirteen years as a Mason I have GIVEN:
    My TIME to Crippled children.
    My TIME to Child ID programs.
    My TIME to Sponsor and Support Scouting.
    My TIME to promote Drug abuse resistance education!
    My TIME to aid my fellow man!

Notice the thread here?
    Just like the fire service, when people are in need there are those in the world unafraid to GIVE of themselves!
    Some band together under the banner of their Local fire Department, local ambulance, or local fraternal organiziation.

'Nuf Said!
    Proud Mason, Proud Dad, and Proud Firefighter!
    (Ya Know though, a ride in a black helicopter would have been cool!)

MembersZone Subscriber

The easy answer is that elections of oficers is WRONG!! Popular election is not how your boss got his job at work and it should not be allowed in the fire service. As long as popular election is allowed the Fire Service we will never be truly professional. How can the public take us seriously when we don't set minimum standards for our leaders? I was nominated and later scolded for turning down an Asst. Chief position is a volunteer department when I was 19 years old!! Wow, I can't even rember how little I truly knew about leading firefighters or adults in general, nevermind actual firefighting experience. How do these elected officers have any credibility? I don't care how much gold your wearing if you are responsible for people lives you need accountability, responsibilty, training and experience. And not just a little!!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Ok, I'll kick the sleeping dog...

You have to be suspicious of a "secret society" where only members are even allowed to enter the lodge of the Masons. I had a heated discussion a while back with a firefighter who was a Mason who informed me that a State Certified Fire Safety Inspector could not enter a Masonic Lodge to do an inspection unless that inspector was a Mason himself (I guess an inspector who was with the Eastern Star would be prohibited from going to the "mens' room" also). Even if the lodge had an occupancy level that exceeded the minimim for a place of assembly.

Now, I respect the Masons for what they do and I don't really care if they have a secret handshake, play with swords and wear aprons. However, I fail to see what could be so "secret" in their buildings that would prevent them from permitting a code enforcement official from doing a routine inspection for the purpose of life safety.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic
    Ok, I'll kick the sleeping dog...

You have to be suspicious of a "secret society" where only members are even allowed to enter the lodge of the Masons. I had a heated discussion a while back with a firefighter who was a Mason who informed me that a State Certified Fire Safety Inspector could not enter a Masonic Lodge to do an inspection unless that inspector was a Mason himself (I guess an inspector who was with the Eastern Star would be prohibited from going to the "mens' room" also). Even if the lodge had an occupancy level that exceeded the minimim for a place of assembly.

Now, I respect the Masons for what they do and I don't really care if they have a secret handshake, play with swords and wear aprons. However, I fail to see what could be so "secret" in their buildings that would prevent them from permitting a code enforcement official from doing a routine inspection for the purpose of life safety.
    If they have a fire, are only Masons allowed to go interior?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

MetalMedic

I'd tell your firefighter that you talked to that he's full of you know what. As a Mason I Know of several events that both public and family that have been inside the Lodge (aka meeting room). I'd say that he's probley just bulling up and has NO ideal of the fact's. Beside's under our fire code places of assembley are inspected and Yes our engine company's do the inspections of the Local Masonic Temple and they inspect the whole builiding.

Jason Turner
    A.F. & A.M.
    Leadwood Lodge 598
    " In God we Trust"
    JCFD

Forum Member

[QUOTE=jdturner04]MetalMedic

I'd tell your firefighter that you talked to that he's full of you know what. As a Mason I Know of several events that both public and family that have been inside the Lodge (aka meeting room). I'd say that he's probley just bulling up and has NO ideal of the fact's. Beside's under our fire code places of assembley are inspected and Yes our engine company's do the inspections of the Local Masonic Temple and they inspect the whole builiding.

Exactly, and it is not a secret society. It is just a fraternaty, that operates with some secret rituals. At least they used to, untill some people decided to spoil it. There are no terrible and unspeakable acts going on that I've ever seen. The lodges I've been to are just a bunch of regular guys, with regular code inspections too.

TW
    There goes the neighborhood.

Thread Information