MembersZone Subscriber

Default "Command View" mid-mount pump

I was searching through a local fire apparatus makers website and came across a department with a mid-mount pump panel that had a elevated "Command View" platform on it. Looked weird but also looked like it would have some advantage to it. I was just curious if anyone else is running these and what the pro's and con's would be. Thanks.

here is a link to the pic of it.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never seen that before. I like the idea of having a 360 degree view and being up out of traffic. The vehicle length would be shorter as well as is with a side mount panel vs a top mount controls. However I do not like the climbing up and down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rosenbauer's General Safety division builds a version that they call a Safe Scene pump panel. I also believe that Sutphen and Alexis will build a similar setup.

Forum Member

Sutphen made 2 for Copper Cove Colo IIRC ...........I personally like them. I have no idea what kind of maintenance ...or addtional costs involved.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmikey
    However I do not like the climbing up and down.
    We're on our 2nd top mount pump and once you get it set up there is no "climbing up and down". If you have a good crew you don't even have to set up the hoses.

The best part is that the driver is out of the way should anything break loose either by bad hook-up or old worn out hoses. It also keeps the driver out of traffic.

Have to admit I've never seen the sideways mounted panel either.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a few of these mounted on Freightliner chassis . The pump panel itself is a good deal - it provides all of the benifits of a top mount but doesn't make the truck that much longer. It is a long step up & down but there are always trade-offs for increased safety on highway scenes.

Forum Member

can you post a pic ?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

I noticed right away when looking at that picture... the 2.5"/3" side intake is not controlled from the pump panel but from a quarter-turn ball valve handle at the low part which is under the operators feet. Should he want to/need to close that, he'll have to climb down. Could really turn into a disaster IMHO. Does anyone else feel that way? I can see the debate where some people just open intakes and leave them that way, but on the flip side, it could be a real pain - especially if whoever connects it (assuming the operator is where he's supposed to be) doesn't open it all the way.

The other thing i'm curious about is whether you get 'seasick' from up there. I know most newer pump will slowly shake the truck and even top mounts some people find themselves getting sick on (the older waterous pressure governors were H&LL for that).

Brings up another interesting question... off all the MPO's on here - most of you probably are: How many of you go to the pump panel and STAY THERE? In low manpower situations, I find myself doing many jobs (establishing water source, pumping truck, sometimes staging apparatus, etc.) and I really dont know how that setup would contribute to that. The REALLY nice thing about our New Lexington top mount is that you can EASILY get up and down without a problem - EXCELLENT ergonomics. Anyway - how many of you go up to your pump and stay there like you are supposed to?

Jon

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, to answer your question it would depend on the time of day. If it is during the day, or after midnight, if we get a call and I am driving then I usually get funneled into multi tasking with setting up a water supply, pumpin, helping people get equipment off the engine or SCBA's. But if it is during the late afternoon or evening I go to the pump and park. We usually have higher manpower during those hours and there are plenty of people to do the tasks we need.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Getting the 2.5 intake to work from the pump panel would merely involve a speccing/valve placement change.No big deal. I've run both styles,(top/side)and each has advantages.In the rural sector,you can mount your deck gun(on top mts)so a single operator can run the pump and the gun.A procedure that's saved our tails on more than one occasion. T.C.

Forum Member

Talking Sutphen

Sutphen has built several of the Command View panels. There are 2 at the Copper Mountain Colo. FD and they have made several others in cooperation with Precision. Added expense - yes. Worth it - I think so!! As mentioned before it is the best of both worlds.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the best thing to do when considering a "side top mount" style is to find one to play with. One of the builders said they would build one for us if we wished (we considered hard going this route for an engine we have coming this summer), but opted to stay with the more conventional top-mount style, which we already have three of... This builder's primary concern is that we knew what we were getting into - as operating off of them can be a bit different.

Placement of the crosslays is a big concern, if you look at some of the layouts with this style of pump panel, deploying crosslays really limits the operator's ease of getting on to and off of the platform to run the pump.

My opinion, this style of pump panel is the hardest for an operator to get on to and off of to help on the fireground, at least a conventional top mount allows the MPO to jump off either side of the rig to get where he wants to.

Precision builds some neat stuff though, and I commend them for thinking outside of the box. Anyone seen their rear mount pump with an elevated pump panel? Neat concept, but like every style of pump panel, it is not without drawbacks.

MembersZone Subscriber

NPFD is right, the pre Rosenbauer General had been doing this for about 10 years "Safe Scene or Scene Safe" panel i believe it was called

Forum Member

Very interesting rig. I would like to see one in person.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default here ya go !

Last edited by Weruj1; 10-30-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

here is a photo I have of a Rosenbauer Safe Scene aerial.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

That aerial is definatly different. Very interesting though, I like the concept
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

There is a company out of Wisconsin that builds an enclosed top mount pumper with a command area...interesting concept and probably great for areas with bitterly cold winters.

http://www.customfire.com/d_demo.php?id=4280c9d604324
    Last edited by medicmaster; 11-24-2005 at 05:06 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Custom Fire is actually in Wisconsin, but close enough to Minnesota that it probably doesn't make a difference.

General Safety and Custom Fire both (and others like Darley and Fort Garry) will build a similar enclosed crew compartment on a commercial chassis. In fact, the folks that own Custom Fire and General Safety are family, at some point one brother left to start Custom Fire and the other remained at General.

Custom Fire History

General Safety History

The whole enclosed pump panel concept is just like red vs. slime fire apparatus - some folks love it, others hate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another couple of views of a "side-top mount" style pump panel.

MembersZone Subscriber

Second view:

Thread Information