Thread: question part 2

Forum Member

Question question part 2

I am a type 1 diabetic. I was diagonsed november of 2003 when i was twelve years old. I am about to be 15. I take multiple shots a day. I just want to get an opinion from everyone on what they think. Should diabetics (of all kinds) be allowed to work with the fire department or should they not? i won't get mad if you say no. I am just really interested in the fire service career, so if people would be uncomfortable working with me or feel i would put them at risk i would not want to do this. I am only 14 so i have some time to decide. any responses would be appreciated. thanks

jake

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakebty
    I am a type 1 diabetic. I was diagonsed november of 2003 when i was twelve years old. I am about to be 15. I take multiple shots a day. I just want to get an opinion from everyone on what they think. Should diabetics (of all kinds) be allowed to work with the fire department or should they not? i won't get mad if you say no. I am just really interested in the fire service career, so if people would be uncomfortable working with me or feel i would put them at risk i would not want to do this. I am only 14 so i have some time to decide. any responses would be appreciated. thanks

jake
    You keep playing this diabetic card throughout threads, I'll make my opinion known here.

If anyone has a condition, whether it be cardiac, respitory, sugar / insulin related, or anything else, and it's changing how they perform on the job, and making them not pull their weight, then they need to re-evaluate what they are doing.

I've worked with a few diabetic firefighters, and have only seen one problem in the passed four years when there was a malfunction with one of the member's pump. All of these guys take the precautions they need to so that they aren't having problems on the fireground. One of the locals I know keeps a few nutritional drinks and health bars in the cab of the truck under a seat just in case he's out and needs a pick-me-up. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's part of his rehab when he comes back outside of the structure.

Nobody is going to push you out of the fire service, especially as a Cadet. Being a diabetic shouldn't be a problem, you just need to know yourself, and know what you need to do when you feel a certain way. You don't want to make yourself a patient. It's YOUR responsibility to make sure you can pull your weight on the fire ground. It's not discrimination if you screw up.

Just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

How many threads/posts are you going to make about being a diabetic? Was your question not answered before? There is also a search feature where you can find this same question discussed numerous times.

Just take care of yourself, learn, and do the job. If you do that you probably won't have a problem.

Forum Member

i apoligize about playing "diabetic cards" throughout these threads. i know a have maybe 4 or 5. i am certainly not complaining about it or anything. i just want to get in contact with other diabetics (of any type) and want to know how exactly they deal with it on the fireground or anything else. i certainly don't mean to keep badgering people about it. i apoligize.

Thread Information