MembersZone Subscriber

Default News story on Twin Cities FD response times

Aired on TV last night, the video is on this link as well as the printed version.

FYI

http://wcco.com/specialreports/local...322092545.html

Forum Member

another case where WE are placing our own out of business...............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

The National Fire Protection Association said the goal for fire departments like Woodbury's is to have 10 firefighters on the scene within 10 minutes, 80 percent of the time.
    I seem to think they don't even have their figures correct. I wonder who gave them those numbers?

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA 1710 outlines minimum requirements for fire suppression The activities involved in controlling and extinguishing fires. services based upon operations for a 2000 square-foot, two-story, single-family occupancy without a basement and exposures and with low hazards (§ A.5.2.3.2.1). The Standard uses this type of structure as its benchmark since all communities respond to fire incidents of this type on a regular basis
    NFPA 1710 goal is to provide........

4 personnel on scene in up to 4 minutes tavel time
    15-17 personnel on initial alarm assignment with a travel time up to 8 minutes

to add to this from the NFPA (NOT too many FIRE departments PAY ATTENTION)

Is compliance required by law?
    NFPA 1710 is a standard, not a law. Therefore, your fire department is not required to follow its criteria unless your federal, state, provincial or local government enacts it into law.
    Having said that, your fire department may not be free from liability should it choose not to follow NFPA’s requirements. Some have argued that because authorities having jurisdiction The organization, office, or individual responsible for approving equipment, materials, an installation, or a procedure. are not required to automatically enact a particular NFPA standard, violation of an NFPA standard does not automatically give rise to finding of liability against a jurisdiction The department’s territorial range of authority as provided by the local government. that has not adopted the standard. However, courts often rely upon NFPA standards to determine the “industry standard” for fire protection and safety measures. NFPA 1710 could be found highly relevant to the question of whether a jurisdiction has negligently failed to provide adequate fire or emergency medical protection to an individual harmed in a fire or medical emergency.
    However, it is fair to say that a jurisdiction may assume some additional legal risk by failing to abide by these national safety benchmarks.
    Last edited by ehs7554; 11-19-2005 at 11:38 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

2 minutes allowed for turnout time + 8 minutes for arrival of first alarm = 10 minutes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    2 minutes allowed for turnout time + 8 minutes for arrival of first alarm = 10 minutes.
    I believe turnout time is 1 minute so if you add that up to the first arriving company then you would have 5 minutes total.
    2 minutes IMO is too long. Everyone should try to avg <1 min turnout.

I am not sure if NFPA may or may not include turnout time in their 4 min and 8 min response times. If they do then it is 4 and 8.

last they call for 15-17 in 8 minutes far more personnel and less time than 10 in 10
    Last edited by ehs7554; 11-19-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Forum Member

Default Let the taxpayers decide

If the Chief or whomever runs a particular service is unable to make the facts of response times and what kind of staffing that particular service has, be it fire, ems or whatever then he or she is simply not doing their job. If the taxpayers understand that this is the service they are paying for then the old cliche is ' you get what you pay for'. I know every community isn't going to be able to afford full time staffing but as long as the taxpayers in those communities are given this information on a regular basis then they know what to expect should an emergency happen. The sad fact is that the vast majority of taxpayers in this country are clueless as to what their emergency services are made up of. Educate your taxpayers through the local paper or whatever means you have and I believe things can only get better for us.

Forum Member

NFPA 1710 is the Standard for the Organization and Deployment of Fire Suppression Operations, Emergency Medical Operations, and Special Operations to the Public by Career Fire Departments

NFPA 1720: Standard for the Organization and Deployment of Fire Suppression Operations, Emergency Medical Operations and Special Operations to the Public by Volunteer Fire Departments

Most of the departments in the twin cities metro area are volunteer or paid-on-call. Thus, many of the departments fall under NFPA 1720 not NFPA 1710.

Thread Information