Thread: Trench Rescue

Forum Member

Default Trench Rescue

Looking for some talk on trench rescue...any saves or just recoveries??

MembersZone Subscriber

This last summer our technical rescue team responded to a construction site for a trench collapse. One victim was burried completly and another to his upper chest.
    One victim was dug out and removed from the trench alive the second victim was dead, killed by the collapse.

In the past we have had some saves and some deaths. Any questions? In at liest two of the saves the victim would have died without TRT.

Forum Member

Are you using air shores? How deep are most trenches where we lose people? Not very I suspect, I Just finished my Technical level and have not been to a call yet however we (my City ) has lost 2 and saved 1 in the last year..

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a mixture of airshore and prospan, as well as some hydraulics from allied.
    The depths are around 8 to 10 feet, our last one was about 12 foot, the problem was it was just about that wide also. Did some extensive work with the rescue vac on that one as well as a confined space entry in conjunction with the trench for safe access.

Forum Member

What are you guys using for vehicles for all the gear/supplies? We are establishing a tech rescue team to address deficiencies in our area response plan. We have phased in various rescue proficiencies and Trench is next on the list. We have a huge amount of construction starting next year and we would like to be prepared (well at least as prepared as possible). We all have awareness training and will be taking that to the next level in the early part of 2006 however in the meantime we have been gathering supplies and now we have to figure out where to put them.

We were contemplating an enclosed landscape trailer that we could hook to our utility vehicle or command vehicle when needed. What are you guys using? What have you found works and what have you found doesn't work?

MembersZone Subscriber

FFTrainer

If you'd like some information specific to a few departments I work with/on in NJ, email me e33_m@yahoo.com

I just had my entire reply dumped by some mistaken keystroke and I'm too tired to retype.

Thread Information