Thread: Gemtor Harness

Forum Member

Question Gemtor Harness

Anybody know if there are requirements for the use of the Gemtor Class II Safety Harness? Particularly in New Jersey. I have heard requirements ranging from High Angle rescue, to Confined space are needed to wear the harness.

Forum Member

to tired to look at them all ..............that will be YOUR job http://forums.firehouse.com/search.php?searchid=43522
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I can emphatically state there are no requirements in the State of NJ to wear a Gemtor harness. As for requirements on a class 2 harness for certain operations, I'd willing to be there are (but not Gemtor specific). My question though, why would you NOT want to?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

no matter what if you get one take the class on how to use it properly! has anyone heard yet when their supposed to be coming out with that triple locking carabiner though? that autmatic closing one is a piece of garbage and could get you seriously hurt.

Forum Member

No certs that I know of to wear one. To use it as a harness for the scenarios you suggest (confined space, etc) you would need the certs for that specific area which would probably address it.

As for wearing for personal escape reasons, I don't know of any certs out there. Just train on it until you are comfortable that you could operate under extreme conditions. For personal escape reasons, even using it wrong could be potentially better than nothing since your toast if you don't go. Not saying that theory is at all correct, but just an observation. FYI, those of us who do have them also have varying levels of rappel/high angle rescue training which I would recommend, but as for requirements I don't know of any.

I don't have a Gemtor but a bunch of us have harnesses from other mfg's integrated into our Turnout pants via loops on the exterior. We train on it specifically at a minimum once every 6 months but usually whenever the circumstances allow, we integrate it into the training - just remember its TRAINING... use a safety rope in addition to your primary rope to reduce the injury risk.

MembersZone Subscriber

What class is this you speak of? Are there any tips to the Gemtor Harness??

Thread Information