Murray apartment fire displaces one family

MURRAY ó Members of a Murray family were displaced after a fire destroyed virtually everything inside their apartment Thursday afternoon.
About 3 p.m. the Murray Fire Department received a 911 call from a woman who said the laundry room in her apartment was on fire, said Jesse Valenzuela, Murray deputy fire marshal.
The woman said clothing that had been pushed up against a water heater ignited when the unit came on.
Firefighters arrived at the Murray Castle apartments near 120 East and 5400 South and found flames coming out the door.
The fire was confined to the apartment because of the building's construction. Damage was estimated at $50,000.
About 40 people were evacuated and were able to return to their homes. The displaced family will stay with relatives for the time being, Valenzuela said.