Smoke from fire kills man at apartment in Avenues

One man died of smoke inhalation at a fire that broke out in the kitchen of an apartment in the Avenues.
Just after 5:20 p.m. on Thursday, Salt Lake City fire crews were called to a two-story apartment building near 125 East and First Avenue. Assistant Battalion Chief Dennis McKone said that when crews extinguished the blaze, they found the body of a young adult male.
Smoke was reported to be coming from the main floor and was confined to the cabinet and stove area in the kitchen, McKone said.
Damage is estimated at more than $15,000. About 15 residents were evacuated from the building