Forum Member

Angry city taking over

we are a small department we get no tax money all of our money comes from donation.we have a new mayor who wants to make us report all of our bank statements anc canciled checks.he also wants to make it so if we want to spend over 2000 of our money we have to get it approved by him.can he do this?is there anything we can do or can someone help? we have most of the department going to quit if this happens.

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Nowhere near enough information to offer advice:

What does the city charter say in regard to the VFD?
    What state laws apply to independant (non-tax dollar supported) VFD's?
    Does the VFD have anything in the bylaws or charter covering releasing of financial records to the city?
    What is the Mayor's reason to see the VFD books?
    Did something happen that caused the Mayor to become interesed in the VFD?
    Is there a verbal or written contract for service between the city and the VFD? If so, is any of this covered?
    Under what authority does the Mayor want to approve purchases? It can't be "because I say so."

Your VFD may have to consider hiring an attorney to sort this out.

You will not get any sympathy from the public by quitting.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talk to a lawyer. See if you can get one to volunteer his time for you, like you would for him. If he helps you and things work out show your appreciation ( Maybe make him an honorary member) etc....

Ask him if you can incorporate your department or have a separate association outside of your official department. Example your department is known as the "XYZ Fire Dept". Why not form a sparate entity Like the " XYZ Fire Association Inc." and do all you correspondance and fundrasing as that corporation. This has worked for our Volunteer Dept. Local careeer fire unions do it all the time and I don't believe their mayors stick their noses in their funds.

Good Luck, Don't Quit, Get a lawyer, set it up right and tell him to go scratch.

Forum Member

Smile

The best thing you can do is to get a attorney to look at this. Good luck!

Forum Member

thanks for the info we found a lawyer that doed firedept and police cases..i mentioned to the dept about changing the name so the town was not in it but wasnt sure if it would work.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Relax

Why get your shorts in a bunch?
    Whatís the problem? If the Mayor wants to see the books, so be it. Big deal. The money was donated to the fire department and thatís were it must stay.

Whoís in charge of your department? I donít mean the chief. Some form of board, panel, or committee maybe? Town Council? Thatís who makes the decisions, and thatís whom you need to talk to. Donít worry about what the mayor wants unless the mayor has the authority to make such decisions.

Forum Member

we are it there is no board or trusees we have our own meetings

MembersZone Subscriber

Get busy and form a fire protection tax district.
    Get to the courthouse, do your homework.
    Get it on the April ballot.
    If you do not have a board of trustees, then you are part of the municipality.
    If you don't want the mayor running your fire department, then you need to switch to a fire protection district that is run by a board of trustees.
    Illinois Legal Compiled Statutes explains what to do and how to do it.
    Email me at rockysroom@winco.net.
    You could use some help.
    Good luck.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Possibly he is looking at your finances to figure out a way to form some sort of budget for you guys. He may realize that your dept is struggling and is in need of financial assistance.

Or he may not know how the FD is run, and is under the assumption that he needs to be in charge of this. Has anyone asked his reason for doing this? Might be something to bring up at a City Counsel meeting.

If you do not want to be city funded and choose not to receive funds from the city then you need to declare yourselves "Non-Profit".
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

we know what he is doing if he sees how much money we have then he wont help us an more..we are non profit the city has always helped us with maintence on the trucks and they cover us on the city insurance but if he knows how much money we have he will try to stop that...we have always had 100% support from the city till he gets in there now he has a fit when we spend any money...what it amounts to is he is a controll freak and he hates 5 or 6 of us that have some power on the dept...we buy all of our trucks and equip. but have to turn the title over to the city for the insurance...we just got a 100,000 grant for bunker gear and a cascade system and we have to come up with $8000 and he knows we are going to ask the city for help and he dont want to.he said it is all city accounts and i know he will use our money for other things than us...he is also doing the same thing to the ball park,ist all donation also

Forum Member

i left out he was also a fireman at one time and we had to fight with him all the time he knows how we do things and how much money we can make he knows the whole deal but he wants to controll it like he tried to when he wes on the dept

Forum Member

CR is right, you guys need to form a fire protection district. Get the control away from the city and fast. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row and once everything is set let the public know what is going on. You will need there support come April. Just don't quit!!, if your guys walk away he wins!! THe support you need from the community would be lost if you left them unprotected, New Boston and Seaton are a ways off if something was to happen

Forum Member

thanks for the input i brought that up last night..we have a lawyer fron the cities that want some city info and he is going to see what we can do but u r right we have to act fast i was wandering about cchanging the account name to like voulenteers of the keithsburg fire dept and putting most of our funds in there..will something like that protect it till we can get something more solid done?the city council meeting is the 1st week of the month so we have to figure something out before then...it needs to go public for 1 i know the people of town will throw a fit but he dont care what anybody thinks but himself

MembersZone Subscriber

Years ago our department had this problem so they formed the Friends organization, which the village cannot touch.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

How many fire compnies are in your area? What I'm getting at is if he were sucessful in taking over the FC and causing it to be disbanded is there another FC that could provide services for the town? Would this guy want to be responsible for the city loosing it's fire company?

If there are no other fire co around that could handle your city then he is doing you a favor because he is taking all of the financial responsibility away from you and putting it on the city so when things break down he has to approve the funds to fix them, not the fire co having fund raisers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkvfd
    thanks for the input i brought that up last night..we have a lawyer fron the cities that want some city info and he is going to see what we can do but u r right we have to act fast i was wandering about cchanging the account name to like voulenteers of the keithsburg fire dept and putting most of our funds in there..will something like that protect it till we can get something more solid done?the city council meeting is the 1st week of the month so we have to figure something out before then...it needs to go public for 1 i know the people of town will throw a fit but he dont care what anybody thinks but himself
    As long as none of the money put there and I would recommend getting non-profit status (Dept. of Revenue), you can name it anything you like.
    Anything with "Keithsburg Fire Department" in it would NOT be a good idea.
    Don't want to confuse the good people on the river.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

7 miles is the closest one....the thing is the city was always glad to pay for our maintence and they cover our insurance but now he has a **** fit when we send him a bill and noboddy on the council has the guts to override him ...he dont have a vote only the council members...this is all a grudge and a power trip...he has a guy buying up all the buldings in town and we are going to end up with a strip joint in town....he says not but how many restraunts do u see with a lighted stage and a shiny gold pole in the middle?they are both known drug dealers and the one thet is buying the town is from peoria and got sick of being harrased for drugs and prostitutes he moved here...ourtown is going to hell and we are trying to atleast save the department and keep it the way it was and the way the town people that have basically bought everything want it...the town people didnt want us to go to a fire district they said they would support us and they have 200% there is a lot of people who said if he gets what he wants they will stop supporting us then that will be the end because he will get the people in there that will say yess sir and we will have what i would call the 1st mob run fire dept around...ok im sorry i am done venting for a bit but i do thank u for the help it is a very touchy deal

Forum Member

I understand your frustration but how did this individual become the mayor? What keeps him in office?

If the good folks of keithsville don't approve of the way he is running things then there is a solution to this problem.

Thread Information