Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default HELP! Looking to get into Phoenix FD (proby from FDNY)

I'm in the FDNY right now, and am looking to take the Pxfd test and relocate. I saw on the web page that around 2,000 people take the test. I got a 99 on the NY written and 100 on the physical, if i could get around the same on the Phoenix test what are my chances? Also does having FDNY on the resume help? Or will i be looked at as an ignorant know-it-all or similar if i mention it?

thanks in advance! Any help is better than none!
    Last edited by chrisff; 04-10-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Forum Member

I don't know if FDNY will help you or hurt you in PHX. I do know that if you go in acting like a know it all primadonna you will have problems. The Valley (Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale etc..) is about to lose several hundred FF's due to the DROP so the next several years will provide many opportunities for employment out here. I have been a FF out here for the past 26 years so as you might guess, I will be one of the several hundred going. The Valley is a great place to be a FF with decent pay good equipment an facilities and great weather 8 months out of the year. The other 4 are a bitch...HOT...The heat didn't bother me to bad when I was younger but now it gets HOT. Good luck with what ever your decision might be

Forum Member

Default thanks rm,

i appreciate the help. what's the DROP?

FDNY will help you by saying you have somewhat more experience than the averave Joe. Hopefully they will not decide to send you back to a full academy, depending if Az is an IFSAC State or not. Then they would care less about your experience. Being that you scored well on your tests should make you more confident that you will do well on any test in the country. If not then your previous high scores were nothing but luck. Just do what you did to get into FDNY and you will do fine.

The “DROP Program” stands for the Deferred Retirement Option Program. Basically it gives you the option of putting your monthly retirement benefit in a deferred retirement account. That will let you be employed for up to an additional XXX years depending on your city. It lets you place your current monthly retirement benefit that you are entitled to as of the date you choose to become part of the DROP into a tax deferred, interest bearing acct. One you retire, you will receive your lump sum but you must retire within so many years of your DROP enrollment date.

When you enter the DROP, you make an irreversible decision to retire within so many years, and your retirement benefit rate is frozen at the time you enroll. That means if you get a raise or promotion during the time you are in DROP, it does not increase your monthly pensions.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Man, the DROP sound like a bad deal. But I am not there, so you guys know better.
    I too am interested in coming over. What's the work like out there? Any areas busier than others? Sorry, I don't know the city very well and don't want to make assumptions.

Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Chris
    I tested out there last summer. No there were not 2,000 people that tested. Try more like 5500 or 6000. I was amazed at the number of people testing.

MembersZone Subscriber

The drop is great because you can still make your normal salary for up to 5 years while your retirement is invested. As far as the Phoenix test goes you really do not have to have any qualifications to test, just have your EMT-Basic prior to hiring, and Phoenix requires you to go through their academy. The written is completely based on memorizing the content of the study guide. I would say that only about 10% are firefighters and 50% that show up are fire buffs. The physical is a pass/fail, the key is the oral boards as with any job, your work experience and testing should help you there, there are all kinds of opportunities throughout the state if you don't have to work for Phoenix. I actually work with a guy who is retired FDNY.

Hope this helps and good luck

Forum Member

One other point. Due to the rapid expansion of the cities in "the valley", there will be a new fire station opening every month for the next 44 (repeat) 44 months. Somebody has to staff them, why not you?

I'm staying on the mountian, where 90 is a hot day. I like snow!

Forum Member

Default ?

I think its sort of a slap in the face to all FDNY members and to everyone who took the test that you are considering leaving to go test for Phoenix. Their are thousands of people who would kill for your spot and now that you want to leave or have left, you have taken up a spot of someone behind you who really wants to be in the FDNY. Nice job!!

Forum Member

What? A guy wants to move, and you think he should stay just because someone else wanted his spot?
    Get a life. This is still a free society. Obviously, he scored better than "that other guy". Too bad, the other guy should have studied more.

Thread Information