MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Paramedic...No fire Experience!

My name is Jesse altizer i am 23y/o now and i wrote a thread last jan. and i was writing to find out how to become a fire medic and how i was still in school and wanted to know the quickest routes.....I have since finished Paramedic school and now i am a NREMT-P working very hard for a private ambulance service in wenatchee washington ( Lfeline Ambulance ) which runs about 3500 ALS call a year. I have recently been brought on to Chelan County Fire District #1 as a volunteer firefighter. i start the academy in january. MY QUESTION IS....how long do i have to be a paramedic and a volunteer firefighter before i can get hired on as a full time Firefighter/Paramedic for a Fire Department that has dual roles like that. Its killing me inside to have to keep waiting....i would pick up my things and a drop of the hat move anywhere to get on to a fire department as a medic...but i dont know when i will be ready or what i need to do more of to better prepare myself!

feel free to tell me if you have any ideas...constructive critizism is the best kind!

MembersZone Subscriber

Jessie,
    First of all, congratulations on completing Paramedic school. I for one know it's no easy task.

Secondly, chill out and enjoy the ride. Don't be so impatient. Your generation is known as the ones who seek instant gratification. Impatience = immaturity if not channeled in the right direction.

Put as much effort into the academy as you did to paramedic school. Learn the fundamentals of our job and learn to become a good FIREFIGHTER.

With a paramedic license AND a fire academy you have the tools to do well in the testing process. Learn how to take a FIRE DEPARTMENT interview and success will follow. Take as many entry-level examinations as you can.

Good luck and BE PATIENT.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of:
    Smoke Your Firefighter Interview
    The Aspiring Firefighter's Two-year Plan
    Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam (Coming soon)
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information