Forum Member

Question Volunteer Fire Department and Utility Rates!

Does you state require utility companies to give the lowest rate available to volunteer fire departments.
    Natural Gas,Phone and Power companies are require to do so in Kentucky per state law.Most utility company consider fire department's a business and would charge a business rate for there services.Below is the KRS thats requires the lower rates in Kentucky.

Rate classification for certain entities. 278.172

Every utility which serves a volunteer FIRE DEPARTMENT or other entity eligible for aid under KRS 95A.262, shall supply such service at the lowest rate available under its tariffs to customers with comparable consumption amounts, including residential or farm rates.

Effective: July 14, 1992
    History: Amended 1992 Ky. acts ch. 381. sec. 11, eff. July 14, 1992--Created 1990 Ky. acts ch. 149,sec. 3, eff. July 13, 1990.
    Last edited by coldfront; 11-22-2005 at 08:08 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

I dont know about Ohio's laws concerning the lowest rate possible, but our FD shares the fuel (heat) bill with the town, 50/50. Since the town owns the building and we basically just operate out of it.

It help out a TON, propaine is way up these days just like any other means of heat.

I believe we also share the electric bill, 50/50.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront
    Does you state require utility companies to give the lowest rate available to volunteer fire departments.
    Natural Gas,Phone and Power companies are require to do so in Kentucky per state law.Most utility company consider fire department's a business and would charge a business rate for there services.Below is the KRS thats requires the lower rates in Kentucky.

Every utility which serves a volunteer FIRE DEPARTMENT or other entity eligible for aid under KRS 95A.262, shall supply such service at the lowest rate available under its tariffs to customers with comparable consumption amounts, including residential or farm rates.

History: Amended 1992 Ky. acts ch. 381. sec. 11, eff. July 14, 1992--Created 1990 Ky. acts ch. 149,sec. 3, eff. July 13, 1990.
    Illinois here.
    You raise an interesting question and one that I intend to ask and get answered.
    Thanks for bringing it up.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Paid by the town

We own our building, but the town pays for the heating oil. Not sure about the electric, but I don't think we get any kind of a discount or reduced rate. SBC and Cablevision don't cut us any slack either.
    IACOJ Lt-Eng32ine

Forum Member

As far as I know my District pays everyone but cable. The only thing they get state bid is fuel oil for the building, gas and fuel for trucks. The district even pays for hydrant rental on all the hydrants in the District. Snow removal and sanding is done by district employees otherwise the Town DPW will do it for a fee (more then employees on OT). Never thought to question it. I just thought it was the norm.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Our ambulance squad is incorporated... we pay business rates for our own phone/dsl/cable - Im not sure about electricity/heat.. i think the town pays for that since we are part of the town hall building. In fact im quite sure they do because the boiler room is across from us and sometimes we've gone in there to relight the boiler when it goes out.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

art when you find out about illinois will you post it here or pm me with what you find out?

thanks a bunch.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Volunteer Fire Department and Utility Rates!

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post

I think this is a good thread to bring back from the dead since all of us are feeling the pinch these days. Something worth checking in on, I know I will be!

Thread Information