Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Arrow What are yall able to do?

Hey i was just wandering what yalls fire dept. lets yall do. In our fire dept. everyone else is 50 or over but us 5 that are 16 and 17, so we are the main people. And I love fighting fires with them because i just learn so much. We do just about everything possible. So I was just wondering.

Forum Member

It might help to read the numerous other threads about this very same topic.....

Before someone else jumps on you for it, I will give you a hint. Try using correct grammar and more people will respect you. Also, I would recommend doing a search as this has been discussed numerous times. Are you an explorer/junior, or a firefighter?

I am pretty sure that child labor laws prohibit people under 18 from entering a burning building.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

You have left out the burning questions-"What lightbar/wigwag/strobe/landing/Xmas tree lights you can have on your private vehicle?" and "Can you respond from the kindergarten sandpit to the firehouse, at something aproaching the speed of light?"

Like your style RFRDxplorer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well this one time Farmar McLearys barn dun caught fire, an we all made a buket brigade line sorts, an we dun gone an take the water from Miss. Crabapples hot tub an put out the fire with that, an I axeidentlye burned out the q cause I didnt know yall aint supposed ta ever take ya foot of the pedal.

I'm sorry. It was just too tempting. The search button is a good place to look for things of this nature.
    Last edited by nitsua98; 11-23-2005 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

WVFD88

It looks like you're new to this forum. Please don't take it personally, these guys seem thrive on picking apart those who do not meet their exacting stardards for grammer or who bring up certain "hot button" issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Before someone else jumps on you for it, I will give you a hint. Try using correct grammar and more people will respect you. Also, I would recommend doing a search as this has been discussed numerous times. Are you an explorer/junior, or a firefighter?

I am pretty sure that child labor laws prohibit people under 18 from entering a burning building.

Haha, excellent response. Time to weed out the whackers...
    If only that wasn't so amazingly hypocritical of me to say.

But in all sincerity to the original poster, everything goes by dept. regulations, officer command, and ones own level of experience. One dept. might have one junior sitting in the truck in case the interior guys need a tool, while another more experience junior/cadet is running a handline outside or hitting the hydrant.
    I've been on calls where I've been told to stay on the radio outside, and other calls where I've been loaded up with irons and went inside (NOT IDLH), or MVA's where I'm cribbing the vehicle we're about to extricate an individual from.
    Last edited by Pierce151; 11-25-2005 at 04:45 PM.
    Montgomery Township Vol. Co. #1
    Station 45, Belle Mead, NJ

Franklin District #2 Fire
    Station 35, Griggstown, NJ

Forum Member

My department is very good about including cadets, which is good to see, because experience is one of the best ways to learn. Cadets after completing fire fighter entry level 2 can respond to calls.
    They should be riding out on our rescue rig which is usually 3rd due or last in on fire calls. From there IC puts them in a position where they can learn and be usefull, such as assisting with feeding hose, or assisting w/ accountability. After the IDLH has been depleated, cadets are put to work w/ senior firefighters or officers to learn tasks such as overhaul, and some roof work. Mainly cadets learn from drill nights where they do everything the certified guys do.

good luck and be safe!
    cbrooks702

My department lets us go on all fires , we get there faster cause I got blue lights and we go on interior and the old guys just sit outside and watch as we explorers show them how its done----big willy style.

Nahh nahh nahh.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

My department allows us to respond to all calls within the county. We go through thorough training which includes: Hose lays(pre-connect, working line w/ and w/o bundles in service, and supply line), Ladders(14ft, 24ft, 28ft), EMS(CPR, First Aid, In-Line stabilization), Ropes and knots, SCBA, Engine inventory, and wild land). Once you go through all of these, you get to take a written test and if you pass that you become Ride-Along certified.

Being ride along certified basically allows you to respond to all emergency and non-emergency calls. On EMS calls we are allowed to(this is what I have done on calls): full set of vitals, pupils, check blood sugar, prepare IV's, and carry any equipment needed. On calls such as Traffic Collisions, MCI's, Fires, and any other trauma calls, i have: Cared for my own patient, used forcible entry tools, pulled hose at fire scenes, backboarding and other In-line stabilization skills.

as far as being at the station, i can be there from 8am to 9pm, morning goes as follows: Clean station with other firefighters, workout with other firefighters, either go on engine to get lunch or make lunch at station, eat at table with other firefighters, after lunch help with anything that needs to be done around the station, help firefighters with anything they are doing, study(that includes bookwork and watching videos), write up paperwork for future Explorer meetings and plan out community service events, go get dinner with firefighters(either eat out or make food at station), eat at table with other firefighters, study a little more, then have desert... yummy..., then by then it is usually time to leave, i say thank you to all firefighters, whipe down engine once more, then im on my way home...

i love it!!!!

Forum Member

You forgot to mention if Mrs Crabapple was in her hot tub and whether she was in a bikini or swim suit.
    Incomplete reports can cause trouble later on if it comes to a court case.BTDT.

Quote Originally Posted by nitsua98
    Well this one time Farmar McLearys barn dun caught fire, an we all made a buket brigade line sorts, an we dun gone an take the water from Miss. Crabapples hot tub an put out the fire with that, an I axeidentlye burned out the q cause I didnt know yall aint supposed ta ever take ya foot of the pedal.

I'm sorry. It was just too tempting. The search button is a good place to look for things of this nature.

Quote Originally Posted by stm4710
    My department lets us go on all fires , we get there faster cause I got blue lights and we go on interior and the old guys just sit outside and watch as we explorers show them how its done----big willy style.

Nahh nahh nahh.
    No offense but I would not feel comfortable with a team of explorers trying to save my house while the experienced guys sit outside. Sounds like a lawsuit in the making.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Talking

Nahh nahh nahh.

F'ing funny STM, unless you were serious, then shame on you, at least let the old guys lay you a line

Forum Member

Nahh nahh nahh.

Is this sarcasm?
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Acourse I am serious. If it wasnt for explorers, I dont know where my department would be today, probally shivering in a dark closet. I took my FF-1/2/WMD/EMT/HAZMAT TECH/CERT/TECH RESCUE/Flasover rec./ online in an afternoon cause I ditched high school cause my department lets me do that and have pagers in school, so I am obviously qualified to fight what you fear.

STM,

Are the rumors true???

Do you really have a Class A suit, full decon station, hydraulic tools, 500 gallon tank, 1250 gpm pump, defibrillator, stretcher, and landing zone kit all in your Ford Probe?

I'm not even going to ask about the warning package!!!
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Daym right!!!!
    Im tradeing in my old probe

For something that will fit my I fight what you fear t shirt life style, cause as a fire explorer----you dont choose the day, it chooses you!
    Last edited by stm4710; 12-07-2005 at 12:06 AM.

[QUOTE=stm4710]Daym right!!!!
    ......cause as a fire explorer----you dont choose the day, it chooses you!
    QUOTE]

LMAO!!!!! Too funny!

Forum Member

Default Hey

Hey whats up?

Talking

Daym right!!!!
    Im tradeing in my old probe

For something that will fit my I fight what you fear t shirt life style, cause as a fire explorer----you dont choose the day, it chooses you!
    Ok now that is funny!!!
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Thread Information