Forum Member

Unhappy Stupid rumors and so on...

In the fire service there are constantly verbal (and sometimes liquid) shots going back and forth between members and other firefighters alike. Sometimes these comments get a bit out of hand and people get their feelings hurt because they take something the wrong way. Now I know the saying that, "If you don't have anything good to say then say nothing at all", but let's get real, it's just not that way all the time. We are constantly ribbing each other about this or that whether it involves the firehouse or our personel lives. To me that is something that keeps us closer together, you know who you can rib and those people are usually the ones that you like, hence why you make comments. The people that make those comments to you are, or so I thought, should be the same way.

However due to some recent incidents I made a comment or two and they were taken way off the cuff and, according to the rumor mill, I offended someone. The comment I made was nothing really bad, matter in fact it's a comment that this persons relative has made to this guy and others on a regular basis, but since I am in the spot I am in my personal life and everyone is stoning me.

So I know the right thing to do is to talk to the guy that I made the drunken comment to and explain to him that I meant nothing by it. I did really mean nothing by it, it was just a stupid comment that got blown out of proportion. Matter in fact I really like this kid and know that he will be a great firefighter in the furture and he's on the right path. He is actually someone that has really turned around in my mind and has been putting a serious effort into the fire service. He is one of the few that I know I could count on to get something done right if needed.

So what's the deal? Am I the only one who has these problems? How should I handle it? Is my way the right way?

MembersZone Subscriber

How do you deal with it?

Go be a man.

Forum Member

I wouldn't tell you to "say nothing if you don't have something nice to say' - BUT - you never know what tomorrow will bring. You may rib someone today or make a comment that they may not mind. A month later they may get upset with you for something unrelated then bring up the original slam (often out of context) to cause problems for you (trying to get even for the latter issue). I've seen this happen many, many times in my years, and when it happens everyone loses.

In the end, it's not what you intend, it's how the person on the receiving end takes it. If they're upset YOU need to make it right.

Forum Member

So I know the right thing to do is to talk to the guy
    'nuff said.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe it has something to do with it being a "drunken comment."

Thread Information