Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

I know this is a bit of a thread resurrection... lots of good info here and I didn't want to start a similar duplicate thread.

Can anyone tell me if an NFPA L rated carabiner would be suitable for self-rescue purposes wearing full PPE? If I'm reading right here, it seems that 300lbs is the max for this rating and I'm 240 in street clothes.

Trying to put together an escape rope rig...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I know this is a bit of a thread resurrection... lots of good info here and I didn't want to start a similar duplicate thread.

Can anyone tell me if an NFPA L rated carabiner would be suitable for self-rescue purposes wearing full PPE? If I'm reading right here, it seems that 300lbs is the max for this rating and I'm 240 in street clothes.

Trying to put together an escape rope rig...
    Good morning Beast,
    Most Light rated carabiners are rated at 30kn. You are just over 1kn in street clothes. The SSSF would be just under a 30/1 for that piece of kit. That does not take into account weight of added gear, knots, bends, or rope diameter. There may be "safe working limits" placed on certain pieces of gear, but that is not the number used when calculating your SSSF. Also, there's the new NFPA escape rating that was not adressed on page one. Determine what kind of safety margin you would like to maintain and purchase your gear accordingly. I think you will find that you can cover most of your needs with L rated gear in most situations. I hope everyone is more informed on the topic now, because page 1 was a little disturbing to read again 5 years later.

Thread Information