Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Station Nightclub Fire Video

Before you ask, I have searched here and the web.

I am looking for the video from the Station Nightclub fire in Warwick, Rhode Island a couple of years back. If anyone has a copy or link where I could get it, I'd appreciate it

MembersZone Subscriber

The video that you are looking for is not readily available. The footage was taken by a local news station which has not released the video to any organizations, including the local fire departments. I know there are some copies out there, but they are not anything officially released from the news media.

Good luck. I think you may want to let people know why you want it because it is a very sensitive video and should only be used for official training purposes.
    Robert W. Seltzer
    Chief
    Central Coventry Fire District
    Coventry, R.I.

If you are looking for the NIST video that recreates the fire I can send you a copy or place one online for you.

God, I don't even want to see that video ever again. It made me sick everytime I saw it played over and over on the news.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help. I wrote to WPRI, the station that owns the rights to the video and told them I would be using it to train firefighters, but haven't heard from them after 3 weeks.

I too am sickened by the loss of life and negligence, but know that it has some benefit for training.

The NIST video is interesting and a must see and I was able to find it. Thanks for the offer though Ben.

MembersZone Subscriber ISUHawkeye's Avatar

drop me an e-mail ISUHawkeye@yahoo.com. I have it.

I was at a seminar in Fairfax, VA given by Division Chief Dave McGrail of the Denver FD. We watched it for about 5 minutes. It is pretty sad and sickening. I won't post his e-mail because I don't have the right to, but if you have some way to get a hold of him, he might send it over.
    Last edited by daysleeper47; 11-25-2005 at 10:57 AM.

God, I don't even want to see that video ever again. It made me sick everytime I saw it played over and over on the news.
    I agree...seeing that video was so messed up...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

ISU, I'll do that.

Daysleeper,

I went to Chief McGrail's class the other day too. Excellent seminar. I got his email also and will give that a try too. Stay safe in NOVA.

I would be using it to train firefighters
    I've seen a video or two and I really have to ask....what would you use this to train them on?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would use the video to show rapid fire spread and for tactics.

The video shows a small fire that becomes a large fire very quickly with flames coming from multiple windows and doors.

For tactics, it shows an out of the ordinary rescue (a rescue of multiple people stuck at the main entrance). In addition, as Chief McGrail teaches, this can prepare us not to drop our guard. Like he says: "How many times do you think the fire department was called to this nightclub for alarm activations?"

Forum Member

I agree with Spencer. Also, you can edit it to show that several second clip where the smoke was about 1 1/2 feet of the ground with thick black smoke above. I wished I had that 4 second clip to show children during tours why you stay low and how smoke rises and the clean air is below.
    Also, you could point out the importance of starting off with big lines for big fire. I saw multiple 1 3/4 lines in use at the start that was doing nothing due to the volume of the fire. (I am not playing monday morning quarterback). Maybe protecting the occupants in the doors with a deck gun going overhead pushing the fire back?? I don't know, but if I could look at the tape with a group of firefighters, we could probably brain storm and try to learn from what happened and try to do the things that worked and try to change the things that didn't. It could be a valuable teaching tool. No fire goes 100% perfect, and that type of fire you might see once in a career so try to learn from it.

MembersZone Subscriber ISUHawkeye's Avatar

Default video

I apologise for the delay in replying to some of you. I dug out the video, and realised that it is 200mb in size. I have been trying to compress it to a managable size with out success. Sorry.

Forum Member

Sure, this is an old post I realize, but does anyone have access to this video still? I would also like to obtain a copy for training purposes as well. TIA

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

ive never heard of this incident. what happend exactly???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

See here for info.

Also, the first three or four minutes of the video are available here:

http://grouper.com/video/MediaDetails.aspx?id=480001

Forum Member

Thanks Daysleeper. I did come across those links, the latter of which may work just fine for my purposes. I would prefer to gain the entire video as the one on grouper leaves out a couple key frames such as when the camera man moves to the side of the structure, showing ventilation effects/smoke levels. I do appreciate the help!

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

You may find it on NIST's website since they did comprehensive reports on the fire.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Thanks DianeC. I did get the material from NIST, very interesting stuff! Unfortunetly they don't have any on scene video footage, just recreations. Very useful nontheless. Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thread Information