Thread: Pregnant policy

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pregnant policy

For the first time our department has to consider what to do with a pregnant public safety officer. The, "work until you don't think you can any more", philosophy of her doctor doesn't cut it, does it? I believe we, as supervisors, have a responsibilty to both involved parties; the employee and the city, or vice-versa. Does anyone have policy on the matter or even a memory of what your department did under these circunstances. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

I read an article in Fire Chief magazine some time ago and it dealt with that exact situation. If I remember correctly, a pregnant firefighter was forced to do light duty, and pulled off of her normal assignment. She sued and won on the basis of no one but her and her doctor should determine if she was still able to pull duty, and descrimination. That may be an isolated case, but in my department we have had 3 pregnant volunteers and we have made it clear that they must have a written statement from their doctor as to what they can do and for how long. That leaves that personal choice up to the mother and doctor. Our experience is that the girls have wanted to remain active, but voluntarily stepped back as inactive as they didnít want to jeopardize their health and could compromise the crew's safety as well. One firefighter never came back, as it was baby #2 and didn't have time anymore.

Glenn Rainey
    Colington FD

Forum Member

Being a guy,I may be deemed to not have a say in this but wouldn't a wise policy be that a department will risk one firefighter but not two when the second isn't trained yet?

Forum Member

Have never run into that situation at the FD, and Im not sure what the policy is or if we have one. Ill check next shift.

As for my part time gig at the ambulance, Im also not sure the policy. But I do know when this has happened in the past they have sent them to the comm center for the duration. Its not "lite duty" just a reasignment at the same pay. Actually, I think its a 5% bonus for comm center so they actually come out ahead. Maybe part of why its never been challenged.

As for your department, thats a tough situation. Since a court has already made a rulling, I wouldnt suggest the lite duty thing unless she agrees. I guess your stuck with letting her work till she cant. Just get good documentation from the Doc (if you can with HIPPA).
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

How does a prenant policy pertaine to emergency and non emergency entertainment?
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

dont get pregnant
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stm4710
    How does a prenant policy pertaine to emergency and non emergency entertainment?
    maybe while watching backdraft or ladder 49 things got hot (no pun intended) haha yes its late and I can't really sleep

Forum Member

My wife and I are both full-time FF's and to boot all, yes, she is pregnant right now. In her situation, she went straight to light duty as soon as it was a confirmed pregnancy. She wasn't forced however, so I don't know if her department has a rule in place or not. I would guess that most would not have a set standard for fear of liability and discrimination suits.... any other views on this?

Forum Member

Well I am pregnant right now myself, so I think that my two cents are at least valid.

I am a former firefighter, stopped that when I moved. I had an application in at the new local department when I found out that I was a mother to be. I pulled it right away (what fire department would want to hire a pregnant woman anyways?).

But the point remains that if I were still on the department I would switch to dispatch/light duty/LOA instantly. We all know firefighting is dangerous, no matter how many precautions you take. I would want to risk my baby for that.

Forum Member

Exclamation

As soon as the female informs her supervisor that she is pregnant, she goes on a 40 hour week schedule and is assigned accordingly. This may be in Administration Training or another Division in the Department. She is removed from Fire Suppression completely.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information