MembersZone Subscriber

Question Need advice on 24 hr shift

I have a question for anybody else out there that has a spouse that works a 24 on 48 off shift. My fire dept is finally changing to 24 on 48 off from the 12 hr shifts we've been working since forever. My wife who works EMS (which is a seperate dept from us) currently works a 24 on 48 off shift. We have two small children ages 3 and almost 5 yrs old. My question is would'nt make more sense for us to work the same shift that way we'd have the same two days off, and I think it would be easier on the kids to get used to. She thinks that we should work on seperate shifts, for example she works A shift now and I should work B or C shift that way at least one of us is always home. Anybody out there that has dealt with this situation that can offer advice? Were going to go to this shift soon (within the next month) and I'll probably have my choice of which shift I want to work on. Help!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Forum Member

Do you have someone to watch the kids? If so, then both of you working the same shift probably would be better, that way you'd get both off days together. However, if you're going to have to pay to have someone watch the kids, or it would be an inconvenience to them, then I'd say your wife is right.

Forum Member

There is a married couple with kids that work in my Dept.

They originally worked different shifts and hated the fact that they never had any time together. They now both work on my shift and like it much, much better. Their child care is very flexible and will watch their kids for 24 hours, that is the only way it is possible for them to be on the same shift.

Good luck with your situation.

Kevin

Edit: We have a couple of firefighters in the TFD that live in Madison...
    Last edited by fireman4949; 11-25-2005 at 08:42 AM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm trying to talk her into at least trying the same shift for a month or so and see how that goes.
    fireman4949 I know one of your guys is Jason A. but I'm not sure who the other is.

Thanks guys
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyrgrunt
    I'm trying to talk her into at least trying the same shift for a month or so and see how that goes.
    fireman4949 I know one of your guys is Jason A. but I'm not sure who the other is.

Thanks guys
    I thought there was someone else besides than Jason. I could be wrong though...It wouldn't be the first time.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

My wifes boyfriend watches the kids when we both work. OK, I was kidding- I hope. Anyway, my wife does 16 hours (working every day prior to my shift) between travel time and here shift, I work 24/48. Yes it sucks that we only get 2 days off together a week. But I much prefer that it is one of us with the kid, maybe it is because my parents were divorced and did not raise me or for that matter see me that often. But for me, having me or my wife being the constant role model or person that kids will always have to come to means alot to me and I would sacrafice a lot for it. Like I said I had a somewhat unique upbringing and that probably plays a lot into my thought in this subject although I will say I wouldn't change the way I was raised 1 bit. I guess if in your shoes I would weigh heavily upon who will be the people responsible for your children while you are away. Becuase they will be raising your children 56 hours a week, in my eyes that is a little more than babysitting every once and a while. Whatever you choose hope it works out for your family.

Forum Member

I have a question for anybody else out there that has a spouse that works a 24 on 48 off shift. My fire dept is finally changing to 24 on 48 off from the 12 hr shifts we've been working since forever. My wife who works EMS (which is a seperate dept from us) currently works a 24 on 48 off shift. We have two small children ages 3 and almost 5 yrs old. My question is would'nt make more sense for us to work the same shift that way we'd have the same two days off, and I think it would be easier on the kids to get used to. She thinks that we should work on seperate shifts, for example she works A shift now and I should work B or C shift that way at least one of us is always home. Anybody out there that has dealt with this situation that can offer advice? Were going to go to this shift soon (within the next month) and I'll probably have my choice of which shift I want to work on. Help!
    Our Dept works 24/72 Two of our firefighters are married to each other. There is a policy in our dept that a husband and wife are not allowed to work on the same shift. I realize none of this helps you with your situation, however this couple does seem to be doing ok, they have 2 small children also.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shifts & spouses

I've got quite a few married couples in our department, some of which have small children. Most of them work back to back shifts, that way they only pay childcare for about 3-4 hours to cover travel time. It seems to work for them as they have one day off together and then they are each with the children for one day each and get their quality time. Both have told me that although it would be nice to have more time off together (adult time) they don't want anyone else raising their kids. Can't argue with that!!
    BTW, they also schedule all of their days off together for family trips and such and neither of them really tries to work any overtime.
    ---^v---^v---^v---------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Firehouse.com

We have 2 guys on our department that have spouses that work for ems. They prefer to work opposite shifts. The only difference between us and you is we work the Berkeley schedule. Unless you have parents in the same town that will watch your kids for 24. It is going to be hard to find 24 hour daycare.
    Ryan
    E/O, EMT-I
    K.C. Metro FOOLS
    FTM-PTB EGH RFB KTF DTRT
    Leather Forever

IACOJ
    www.kcmfes.com

Irish pride's what I got, I got alot so don't dipute it!!

Thread Information