Forum Member

Default Company Officer Activity

I need some input. I work in a semi-densely populate region of small suburban cities that rely heavily on mutual aid thought MABAS. 1st alarm assignment are set up to meet NFPA 1710. Each department sends 3 Firefighters and 1 Company officer per apparatus. (Truck or Engine). My question is how involved in tactical work are your company officers. Do they assist or are they strictly supervision? Thanks for the input.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default company officer

I work in a large dept. and during the fire the company officer will work along side his suborinates if the man power is short. When manpower is up and the company officer is incharge of a sector, he will supervise.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by waterplug
    I need some input. I work in a semi-densely populate region of small suburban cities that rely heavily on mutual aid thought MABAS. 1st alarm assignment are set up to meet NFPA 1710. Each department sends 3 Firefighters and 1 Company officer per apparatus. (Truck or Engine). My question is how involved in tactical work are your company officers. Do they assist or are they strictly supervision? Thanks for the input.
    Company officers are masters of multi tasking. I end up doing both on many an occasion.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Both!!! Is there ever really enough personnel on the scene that the company officer can stand back with other company officers and supervise. Get enough companies working and their officers supervising and you could have one or two additional crews. I can think of only one department that can follow this type of deployment on the scene (anybody wanna guess who I am talking about? )
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

More time "supervising" watching conditions, less time "working". (miss the "working" days)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I'm ashamed to admit my dept has 2 man engine co's. A first alarm structure assignment gets 2 engines-2 rescues and D/C for a whopping total of 9 people. Company offficer has no choice but to immediately go to work, command is very rerely established until the D/C arrives. In a nutshell it's pretty sickening.

Forum Member

Officers here work if they are needed. Obviously they kick back on autos, rubbish or any other bs call, but if its a fire, they are right in there.

Forum Member

Default Wow

Wag my heart go out to your fellow FF's.
    That staffing is an accident in progress.

We get a better turnout with our volly's.
    We get at least 15 people for structures.

Try and stay safe. and luck to you.

Forum Member

As a vol. dept I can honestly say... it depends who shows up. As a Captain, if the chief and asst chief show up, what do they need supervision from me for. I will be hands on working. Most likely the officer on an interior team or directing cuts, etc on an MVA with Pin.

Daytime, I am the only officer consistently around do to my job and its location so I am most likely IC/Supervision on calls during that time.

If the call is mutual aid, all bets are off unless the IC requests otherwise. If we go out of town my chief is usually first to be in a pack because he doesn't get to 'play' at home games. On the other hand as an area that relies heavily on tankers/tenders we will often be asked by a mutual aid company to supply a line officer as water supply or staging, etc.

After reading that mess of a post on my part... the short version is..... It depends on the incident.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Officers here work if they are needed. Obviously they kick back on autos, rubbish or any other bs call, but if its a fire, they are right in there.
    Pretty much same here. Unless they are second due and then they are the IC till a DC shows up, then they go to work if needed.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Ditto, but I will add that I try not to do things that take up so much of my attention that I get lost in that event and quit paying attention to everything else that is going on. For example, your not going to catch me on the nozzle of our line; no longer my job, but you may see me up there next to the nozzle directing the guy on it. I will back him up and pull slack if needed. I will help force entry. I will search. I will help overhaul and clean up.

Basically I will do anything that is not specifically someone else's job on my company. However, if your on another engine and you put the line down - its mine - but only until I get can get it to my nozzleman!
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 11-29-2005 at 09:49 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a
    Basically I will do anything that is not specifically someone else's job on my company. However, if your on another engine and you put the line down - its mine - but only until I get can get it to my nozzleman!

I never took a pipe, or a fire for that matter, from someone who didnít want it taken from them.

Seriously though, our truck officers are IC until the first due battalion chief assumes that role. However, you would be hard pressed to not find a good boss doing at least some work, helping with ladders, assisting with forced entry, or doing a search if we have occupants not accounted for.
    Our engine bosses stay with their guys, basically becoming a higher paid hose humper. Thatís not to say that they are not paying attention to conditions, but often times their help is needed in just moving hose.
    For other situations, rubbish, cars, scorched food, they just supervise and leave us to do our job.

MembersZone Subscriber

The officer on the first in engine is IC uless either a Chief or myself go direct to the scene. If I arrive first, then I would be IC and the engine officer would be Safety or direct things inside, depending on the call. It works out that most of the time the officer on the engine is the interior director of things because someone is already IC.

On an MVA, they would be next to the tool directing. Our officers are basically working supervisors for the most part but multi-task by doing everything from the bull work to the administrative stuff.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Unhappy

on a good day my paid department might have 6 guys on duty and on a bad day 4 and maybe non of those 4 are officers. so pretty much we all work and somtimes the truck pumps itself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey
    The officer on the first in engine is IC uless either a Chief or myself go direct to the scene.
    That brings up something Ive been needing to vent about. Our old SOG's said that the first due company officer could either assume IC or pass it to the next due if situation dictated. The new SOGs allow no passing of IC. First due has to assume and keep it untill a DC arrives.

I think this is a load of crap. How in the h**l can you be an IC when your inside on a hose line? Its one of the reasons I dont act as a company officer anymore, as I refuse to follow this new policy. I was trained that an IC has to be outside, in a position to observe the situation and make assignments accordingly.

Am I wrong here?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Iíll work with my crew when a higher officer is on scene running the IC and the situation allows. Iíll never pass up the opportunity to work any job regardless of the call. There are situations where getting involved is simply standing back and making sure everyone is safe .

Thereís allot of people that like running IC and or hate it . I for one donít mind either, I rather be working with the guys, but sometimes itís good to be standing back running the show and watch it all come together, itís a different perspective, one in which I think everyone needs to be thrown into that position to see how it feels and looks from the IC point of view (Training Atmosphere at first ).

Thread Information