Forum Member

Question Structural departments and wildland fires!

What type of wildland fire training is require by your department?

In Kentucky all structural firefighters are required basic wildland firefighting training!
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

zero here ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Arkansas

In the great state of arkansas vol. ff take a 8 hour close as required to be a vol. Paid ff get a 16 hour class in rookie school. Other then that the training ends. But out here its all OJT. But if you got a good training officer you'll get some good training.. We can also go take USFS classes..(if you can find 1)

Forum Member

Almost all of the areas where we used to have brush fires now have houses selling from $600K to $1.5 million on them!

We do have a brush fire unit..a former military Humvee with a 250 gallon slide in tank/pump unit.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

No training is "required" by the local authority, but since we do fight a lot of brush and small wildfire, we do provide regular training on the topic.

We run a fill S100 (Red Card for the Yanks) course every second year, and conduct at least 10 hours of annual refresher training for everyone.

In addition, our senior members and officers train on wildland-urban interface tactics, including structure triage and site preparation in advance of a wildfire front.

This is the training that is "recommended" by both the forest service, and the fire commissioner.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Gonzo

What training, that was what he asked, not the price of houses and your hummer..

Forum Member

We do a fair number of brush fires. In fact, we do about a 100 a year, which is more than all of our other fires combined. There is no state requirement for wildland training, but as a department we have at least 2 training sessions nights a year dedicated to wildland ops and it's a part of the rookie checkoff sheet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by benlewis60
    would you settle for the local street price of a hummer?
    I hear over in Sicamous, that's about 5 bucks.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    Is that in US or Canadian dollars?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thats 5 male deer you knucklehead, don't you know canada is still on a barter system?

As to the original question I'm not really in a position to say, I work for a wildland department so we have lots of wildland training.

However if you want my opinion if it were up to me all firefighters would get S130 basic wildland FF, S190 intro to wildland fire behavior, & I-100 intro to ICS, officers would also get S131 Advanced firefighter & S290 Intermediate wildland fire behavior. It would only add 40 hours to firefighters and another 40 hours or so for officers, not much compared to all the time spent in EMS and structural training. Even for those departments with little or no wildland the way things are going it is just a matter of time before they start going on strike team assignments.

The S130, S190 & I100 is pretty common for the structural departments in California, not a state requirement but fairly standard.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

No training here, just OTJ.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

5 bucks? damn buddy, you need to stop hanging out at the Husky. You're getting ripped off. Out on the lake you can get one for the price of a jello shot.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

What, a little birdie told you???!!! hehehehe
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

We are not required, but since we have many brush/grass/woods fires, many of us have taken the S130, S190 & I100 series from the Texas Forestry Service. I also think that it should be standard training for all ff. In my humble opinion.... OJT is not an appropriate way to learn firefighting of any kind. Well that's all for now, off to more training. Bye.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Permanently Removed

S130 and S190 are the very bones minimal here. Note the "S" stands for "skill". Wildlanf fire control is part of the state's FF1 training.

Moreover, we are more focused on the "Interface Zone" aka "I-Zone". This is the residental homes in the wildland zone.

Get loads of more info. here- www.fire.ca.gov

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-28-2005 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Member

The classes I went through had one specific class (about 12 hours) that was just about wildland fires. I thought that it would be a waste of time for the district I am in.

However, with the drought that North Texas is currently in, we have had several fires lately that would be classified as wildland. Although they weren't as big as other places may see, 30-70 acres on fire here is definitely out of the norm. All the things we learned a while back in that one class, really gave me some knowledge of what to do and expect. One class could never teach you what you need to know, but at least it familiarizes you with basic tactics and safety.

I've only been in the fire industry for almost 2 years, so it was something new. I just wonder how it would have gone if we were having to learn on the job. Not a situation I would have liked to be in.

Forum Member

Default At least in my part of the county...

Nothing required here. There is a very short discussion in basic FF about it. There is also some training offered by the counties on wildland urban interface.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Nothing required.

My school offers the classes, so I took them anyway. Never know if you'll need it.

Forum Member

We get the basics from DOF as part of our state certification. Or at least we used to. I would assume they still do. Its been so long I dont recall how much, maybe 16 hours.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

We require all FF to be "Red Card" carriers. It's a 16 hour course the first time, 4 hour refresher each year. The hard part is the pack test: walk 3 miles in 46 minutes (we get one extra because we are at 6500 ft) wearing a 45 pound pack.
    We contract with the sate land department to get paid (per FF & truck) for any wildfire we go on. We also had a crew at the largest wildland fire in the state, the 2002 Rodeo-Chedeski Complex.
    Edited to add: We get paid by the state for ANY wildland fire: State land, private land, any fire could spread to state land, so they pay us for all of them! Works well, helps with our expenses.

If there is any chance for a wildland fire in your response area, or general area, I reccomend the basic wildland class. Without it, there are lots of ways to get hurt or killed on a Wildland or Urban Interface fire.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 11-28-2005 at 04:50 PM.

Forum Member

Half day of classroom to have the answers for the written FFII test, no practical app.

Everyone learns to use a shovel in Haz-Mat Ops
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 11-28-2005 at 05:34 PM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Every spring my department puts on a s-130/s-190 and I-100 class. My fire chief is a supervisor for the Missouri Department of Conservation in the forestry department and used to run a dozer for wildland fires. My department also has a regional wildfire strike team that I am also a member of. We do not do that much training and most of it is live burns at conservation areas helping out the MDC guys.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Training other than FF1 is not required, some of us have taken the 16hr course. Forestry will give you a red or green card depending on if you take the test with the 45lb pack.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Austin TX

I think all the fire fighters coming out of training have their red card.

That's pretty basic stuff. Most of the experience in gained by OJT.

Lot of interface here in the hill country.

Forum Member

Dennis, with all due respect, there is a lot more involved than using a shovel. I have seen too many pictures of FF standing at the head of a chute (ravine) with a 1" hose, trying to stop a wildfire.

BTW, my wife is from Prineville, OR. They lost most of a highly trained Hot Shot Crew on the Storm King Fire. If it can happen to them, it can happen to you! Get some training if there is a chance you will be at a wildfire.

Thread Information