Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looking for new camera

Ladies & Gents,

The old 35mm camera finally after all these years has given up the ghost and its time to replace it. Looking for a recommendation on new technology(digital or not). Whats has worked for you, considering those dirty environments we work in, its tough to keep things clean & going.
    Any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.
    Mike(vulcan1)

Forum Member

Default looking for new camera

We use a digital camera for the past 2 years now. If you want to start using digital you need to get a good one. One that might have a caust of about $1200.00 by the time you are done getting yourself set up for use. You should get a spr. battery, a good case, and one re-right cd per incadent case. Once you start your photos only the scene photos should be on it or it might not be submissible in court.
    Find out what laws you have in your system before you get one!
    Thank and be safe out there!!!

Avoid SLR types with removable lenses.
    They are very suseptable to getting stuf on the sensor.

Minolta makes a couple of nice ones that have a good zoom lens attached, image stabization and all the capabilitias of your old 35mm slr.

Lighting will be harder with the digitals.

They have a narrower stop range for exposure then negative film. Digital is closer to slide film. You have a harder time getting detail in the shadows, and hilights.

hope this helps

Forum Member

Default Cameras

For what its worth, and within my budget I purchased a Canon 520A in December and used it for the first time in a fire last week, see my thread about terrariums. My personal experience is that the pictures were by far probably the best I've ever taken. The clarity and zoom worked great, as did the flash even if there is some shutter delay when you hit the trigger. I loved it, the prints were gorgeous, and I look forward to using it again. I've been using digital since 2003 and after learning and experimenting I love it.

I have a great deal with our WalMart too. I can go on, get priority on the picture makers, order prints from my digital card and they print them immediately for me. Good deal because if I didn't get what I wanted I can go back and reshoot. Alot quicker then the days of waiting for 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by StillLearning
    I have a great deal with our WalMart too. I can go on, get priority on the picture makers, order prints from my digital card and they print them immediately for me. Good deal because if I didn't get what I wanted I can go back and reshoot. Alot quicker then the days of waiting for 35mm.
    How does their service compare to the local "Mom and Pop" camera store??? Oh, never mind, if there is a Wal-Mart in town, there is no "Mom and Pop" shops left within miles of it.

We have been using a digital camera at my cop job for a while now and are very pleased with it. Along with being able to determine if you have a decent image on the scene, I have also found that it takes excellent pictures in darker conditions often without the use of a flash. We are now looking at replacing the old camera with new technology, so I am interested in what is being posted here as well.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Our department made the switch to digital 2 yrs ago, and have been very happy. Best part is instant conformation if shot you wanted was captured.

We purchased a Nikon D100 w/35-70 and 80-210 lenses; dont hold me to exact numbers but it's pretty close. Also a decent flash is a MUST.
    The D100 has since been phased out; replaced with either D70s or D200; either is a great camera.
    In addition we purchased 2 nikon 4500 cool pixs for the chief & dep.chief for use on scene, training etc. They also get used for small fires were our investigation unit isnt needed.

After talking with both of our local newspaper Photogs we went with the D100, and have had great success with it.
    We still have our Nikon n90 35mm in reserve if anything happens to digital.

We paid over 3000.00 for everything; now you can pick up D100 on ebay for 600-800?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181
    Our department made the switch to digital 2 yrs ago, and have been very happy. Best part is instant conformation if shot you wanted was captured.

We purchased a Nikon D100 w/35-70 and 80-210 lenses; dont hold me to exact numbers but it's pretty close. Also a decent flash is a MUST.
    The D100 has since been phased out; replaced with either D70s or D200; either is a great camera.
    In addition we purchased 2 nikon 4500 cool pixs for the chief & dep.chief for use on scene, training etc. They also get used for small fires were our investigation unit isnt needed.

After talking with both of our local newspaper Photogs we went with the D100, and have had great success with it.
    We still have our Nikon n90 35mm in reserve if anything happens to digital.

We paid over 3000.00 for everything; now you can pick up D100 on ebay for 600-800?
    You must have a ton of money if you are using D100's.

I am not certain that I would recommend the D70, 100 or 200 for fire investigation work. It is possibly the best digital camera out there for the money, but the electronics of the unit are not really suitable for extreme environments.

Forum Member

I forgot to mention that we also spent 60.00 for an all weather cover that still allows us to use it; photogs from local paper uses one.

If it's a really crappy(water still drippin down from floor above) we bust out the 15 yr old water proof point and shoot 35mm.

I was shocked to find that D100 is already gone, replace with 200.

As for money; not really just put together a great presentation and sold the Chief on it.

Thread Information