Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your also taking it out of service from the town it was purchased to protect. Then again, if sending that 1 truck out of town with a crew does not leave enough members to respond to calls back at home, that's not a problem.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

exactly plus we have 2 companies in town including ourselves and the other company has a ladder truck as well which would get to our coverage area in a very short period of time as well.

Forum Member

Alright, thanks for clarifying.

Wink Rit training

here is a link that has a video clip of our training for rit.

http://www.youtube.com/w/?v=UXPUBzsVLNI

http://www.youtube.com/w/?v=kcTErn3czkU

vesrescue

Forum Member

Default firefighter

I just read your posted message, I am an on-call firefighter in Indiana and our dept uses a fast team at every structure fire. One of the things we do is we went out and bought a bag wich contains in it a spare air bottle full of air,carbiners, heavy duty wire cutters,spare air mask, etc just about anything u can think about u could put in the bag. I also could check to see what other things you would need for a fast team. This bag is carried on all our dept trucks so that way the first engine on scene wil what we call the on deck bag wich stays with the back up team so if anything goes wrong the back up team makes initial entry into the structure to begin a search and the FAST team is activated also. The back up team would take the on deck bag with them on the search for the firefighter requesting assistance. There is also a coarse that you guys should Have to take a Fast coarse however i'm not clear on that i will check for you on that. There is FAST equipment avaliable on line or in just about any catalog. You will just have to run a search on the net under either firefighting FAST team or firefighting RIT they are the same thing. Hope that helped you our a little.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot or a repeated question...

Any thoughts on FAST member skills sheets? I have some ideas but am kind of looking for something in a printed or printable form. Our guys are all trained in basic firefighting, Truck ops and FAST plus several other classes on construction and things of that nature. I am looking for a skill checklist - like "can member do a hot bottle change.....able to make a hasty harness with a blacked out mask....etc"

Any help is appreciated!

E-mail me is you'd like at jmm221@crotonfd.org
    "Roundhead642"
    NEVER FORGET
    Lt. Michael E. Neuner Sr. #585
    Last Alarm 6/22/97 Brewster FD
    "There's no harm in asking..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Morris county has a good RIT class the instructor is great, the only problem is that it is classroom only right now, or at least it was when I went in May.
    In my opinion you need to get different perspectives of RIT operations from depts. that operate their teams differently from each other. As of right now there is no written standard for RIT teams, and there are 100 different operating opinions all determined to meet the same goals. You would have to decide what works for you and your mutual aid companies the best.

I know that it is popular to run the truck as a RIT unit but a rescue pumper accomplishes the same goal and you don't leave your town short a very expensive ladder truck thats gonna sit a block away and idle while you guys stage at the fire. We run our 1999 Pierce which actually has more tools on it than the truck. Do your research on every aspect of this venture, including equipment purchases any jerk looking for a quick buck will throw rope in a bag put FAST or RIT on the bag and make a fortune.

Default Fast

Maverick. A basic FAST team class is NOT sufficient enough for an active FAST member. Advanced fast, firefighter survival, firefighter 2, engine & truck company ops, mechanical advantage, and ropes & knots advanced are just some of the certs that team members should be posses. Starting a reliable, dependable FAST team is 10x harder than you may think. Things to consider: How many K-12 Saws do you have on your truck ? You should have at least 3, right ? FAST teams dont have time to change saw blades, each saw has a different blade, wood, metal, and cement. Plus a chain saw. What various lenghts of rescue rope are you going to carry. Are you familiar with all of the SCBA's used by areas that you are going to respond to ? A minimum of 4 certified FAST firefighters should staff an Engine or Truck. First due to a scene as FAST should be one Engine and one Truck. If you would like some help from NJ. Contact Somerset County Fire Academy. Alan Querec and the guys there specialize on Rescue training. It would be worth the trip and they have a BEAUTIFUL facility. If you could get in touch with Scott Vincent @ Hose Co 1 in Somerset, and notify him that you are looking at starting a FAST team, he is EXTREMELY knowledgable and will give you some pointers. Take it a step at a time. Gaining members and the appropriate tools is the first step. Devoting a piece of apparatus and moving onto required training is the second. Size up training is a MUST. Meet with Chiefs and line officers from surrounding Debts and setting up FAST boxes is extrememly important. Train once a month in house and once per 6 months at an Academy with surrounding Debts is also a must. Your IC person should be more than willing to work with you, if not. Go home...Best of luck brother. God Bless

Thread Information