Forum Member

Default How to get a FAST team started?

There are about 4-5 guys right now on my department who are currently throwing the idea around to get a FAST/RIT team started in our department. But where do we start? heres some ideas ive come up with so far:

Everyone who wants in must take the initial FAST team class at the academy which is all classroom time.

We need to have at LEAST one FAST team drill per month.

Other then this im not sure where to go, or how to present this to the higher ups.

We all kind of agree that our ladder truck (95' platform seen here:http://www.jtfd1.org/728.htm ) Already has a bunch of good tools that a FAST team would use has plenty of ladders and irons on it. How many guys should we aim for (obivously as many as possible) but in reality. any other requirements that anyone knows of or information would be great! Thanks for your help brothers and sisters!

Forum Member

Why not ask the Depts around you? Dover,Picattiny,Netcong,etc.
    It's one thing to call yourselfs a FAST team,But to be a good team
    you need to put some real hard training hours under your belts.
    Most teams have veterans with at least 5 years real world fire duty.

Forum Member

Yea thats what im talking about, i dont want us to have just some fly by night FAST team, i want the guys to train hard and really put some effort into the program. Thanks for the idea too i dont know why, but i didnt even think of asking the other fast teams around me. do you have a link or email to Netcongs dept? thanks, any other help on how to set up a fast team would be great!

Forum Member

Default Rit

I suggest you go to www.rapidintervention.com, they have alot of great information and can answer ALL of your questions!! Good Luck and it's one of the best things you can do for your dept. let's start saving our own!!

Forum Member

For starters, 4-5 guys is nowhere near enough. We are a county level 2 team, our minimum response to a SFD is 8. When you start doing realistic scenario drills, you will find that 4 guys aren't enough. Now, if you have some guys that are interested and you think it's something that might interest more guys, talk to your neighboring departments that have FAST teams already. Go to some of their training/drills and get your feet wet. Ask them to come and drill with your department, doing some rescue scenarios during your normal drills. Hopefully, this will generate more interest. FAST can't be done half-@$$ed (and I'm not saying that is what you are doing), unfortunately, I see some departments around me that do it that way and hopefully they will never actually be called on to try and rescue anyone.

Remember, a department that asks you to be their FAST is a department telling you they have the faith and trust to help them out with their life. It's that serious. Good luck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

thanks for the link LtBlondie! lots of great stuff! Bones i couldnt agree with you more, and like i said right now theres the 4-5 guys who have the idea, and we havent really brought it to anyone elses attention yet. not until i can do it the right way. Is there any way you guys would suggest bringing this to the higher ups to make this work? i know that the chief should be all for it but theres going to be the people who say we dont need one.

Forum Member

Do you guys call a FAST for your fires? If so, then it's obvious your higher ups believe in the process. Then all you have to do is tell them you have some guys that are interested in getting more training that may help save another FF's life. Why would they say no to that? Don't bother with telling them you want to start your own team and need/want equipment yet, get the training. Show them you mean it. Drill with the other FAST, have them come to your drills. Once it's seen as something your really committed to, work into responding to calls as a FAST.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

great info and advice bones as always! very much apperciated!

MembersZone Subscriber

Try going to Fireinnovations.com I've been in their classes and they do a very good job. Also their site has some really good RIT tools and personal equipment for RIT both dept and self.

Forum Member

thanks a lot guys! you all are great this info is very much appreciated!

Forum Member

Check the e-mail I sent you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer
    Check the e-mail I sent you.

got the email, sent reply.

Forum Member

Default fast/rit

as of jan 1,2006 we will have 8 trained and 2-3 more going for the class at morris county fire academy

Forum Member

i'll be taking that class down there let me know when your guys are going, i think the sheets come out next week for classes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Fast Team

Having a FAST TEAM takes a lot of extra training, in addition to our 2 monthly department drills, the Lake Hiawatha fire Department has an additional drill once a month. Our team consists of 8 to 12 firefighters, who have been to several hours of special training at various academies. We are Boonton's Primary FAST TEAM, and in return they are ours. Having an FAST team takes a lot of practice and a lot of extra hours, If you would like to check out our website, we have some action shots of some of the special training our guys have done. Take a look at www.LHFD.com and if you like, we could arrange a drill with your department and give you an idea of how it works. We are always looking for some extra training. Check out the web page and let me know, We recently did a demo drill for Lake Parsippany FD (Dist 3), check out the following page for pictures. http://www.lpvfc.com/id81.htm
    Last edited by swellman; 01-11-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Member

Hey SwellMan that would be really great if i could talk to you with some ideas for that kind of thing specifically. please email me at Cwall@jtfd1.org or message me with your email adress.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Excellent trainer!!

Rick Kolomay can be contacted to provide information or set up a course delivery for your agency by phone (630.893.0440 or 630.667.6966) or by email: rksfdsqd1@aol.com.

His latest course has many changes from his book...supposedly he is working on a new edition :-)

Paul in VT
    Paul in VT
    Every man is as God made him, ay, and often worse.
    Miguel de Cervantes

A person dishonored is worst than dead.
    Miguel de Cervantes

Forum Member

Thanks for the info! i see firehouse is doing a webcast on RIT team setup and such. so i'll be watching that (is it the 15th or the 16th though, because site says 16th and email said 15th) but one idea i came up with (well not me personally) to get our guys who are nay sayers and to get the idea stirring is to setup the pittsburgh drill and run the dept. through that. what do you guys think?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9110E
    We all kind of agree that our ladder truck (95' platform seen here:http://www.jtfd1.org/728.htm ) Already has a bunch of good tools that a FAST team would use has plenty of ladders and irons on it. How many guys should we aim for (obivously as many as possible) but in reality. any other requirements that anyone knows of or information would be great! Thanks for your help brothers and sisters!
    (Note: This is only my opinion, as I have no technical FAST knowledge)
    The issue I see with that is, what if you're aerial is being used for primary search and rescue? Then your FAST team gets the shaft because the truck company took all the tools they need. I would assume your department would have to:
    A. Assign one of your trucks (if you have 2) to automatically be designated as the FAST truck
    --OR--
    B. Spend the money to buy extra equipment for your FAST team.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just imputting my opinion.

Forum Member

The reason that wouldnt happen is because we only respond mutual aid as a fast team. we dont conduct our own fast team on scene, the next in company does. the hang up some of the guys are seeing is that the damn truck is so big it would be hard to get to some spots but you dont really need the truck directly on scene, i mean having it up the street would be perfectly fine.

Forum Member

Your also taking it out of service from the town it was purchased to protect. Then again, if sending that 1 truck out of town with a crew does not leave enough members to respond to calls back at home, that's not a problem.

Forum Member

exactly plus we have 2 companies in town including ourselves and the other company has a ladder truck as well which would get to our coverage area in a very short period of time as well.

Forum Member

Alright, thanks for clarifying.

Forum Member

Wink Rit training

here is a link that has a video clip of our training for rit.

http://www.youtube.com/w/?v=UXPUBzsVLNI

http://www.youtube.com/w/?v=kcTErn3czkU

vesrescue

Forum Member

Default firefighter

I just read your posted message, I am an on-call firefighter in Indiana and our dept uses a fast team at every structure fire. One of the things we do is we went out and bought a bag wich contains in it a spare air bottle full of air,carbiners, heavy duty wire cutters,spare air mask, etc just about anything u can think about u could put in the bag. I also could check to see what other things you would need for a fast team. This bag is carried on all our dept trucks so that way the first engine on scene wil what we call the on deck bag wich stays with the back up team so if anything goes wrong the back up team makes initial entry into the structure to begin a search and the FAST team is activated also. The back up team would take the on deck bag with them on the search for the firefighter requesting assistance. There is also a coarse that you guys should Have to take a Fast coarse however i'm not clear on that i will check for you on that. There is FAST equipment avaliable on line or in just about any catalog. You will just have to run a search on the net under either firefighting FAST team or firefighting RIT they are the same thing. Hope that helped you our a little.

Thread Information