Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: licenses?

Forum Member

Question licenses?

does anyone need a special kind of license to drive a firetruck? i live in iowa. here you have to have a class d (chaffeur) license to drive a firetruck/ambulance unless you are volunteer. what is it like where you live?

Forum Member

Default license

Class A or B with an F endorsement in Nevada.

Forum Member

in Washington all you need is a drivers license and a EVAP course (Emergency Vehicle Accident Prevention) 8hr course.

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

Illinois: Class B, non-CDL will suffice for all apparatus other than a TDA.
    FTM - PTB

Same here in Texas. I have a Class B-Exempt. It is a non CDL Class B. A normal Class B allows you to drive dumptrucks, bobtails, etc.... An exempt is for Fire apparatus and Millitary vehicles.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

I think the non-CDL here will allow you to drive anything over 26,000 lbs. as long as it is not used for hire...

It was intended for RV's and fire apparatus though.
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not beleive there is a standard requirement for Missouri. I have heard that depending on the type of apparatus (weight/lenght) you will need a class B CDL which is air brakes such as dump trucks and the such.

My department requires a class E chauffer license and are slowly phasing in a class B cdl. Some departments in my area just require a drivers license and thats it. Not VFIS class or EVOC. Kinda scary when you stop to think about it.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

The driving test I took was basically a trip around the block...
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

thanks for your answers.

Forum Member

And for a change, here in AZ, if you go by the letter of the law, you do not need a CDL to drive to an emergency. But you need one to drive back! Just don't hit anything, and the police leave us alone.

Forum Member

Here In Ky All You Need Is A Valid Ky Drivers License. You May Operate Fire Dept. Trucks And Equipment As Long As You Are Operating Under "normal" Guidelines And Juristictions. What It Does Not Allow For Is Trucks Off Duty Enroute To Repair Facilities, Fueneral Details Etc. They Don't Push The Issue Or Make Us Roll Across The Weight Stations. I Guess You Could Call It Professinal Courtesy. My Department Puts The New Recruits Through It's Own Training Program Which Consists Of 8hrs Classroom And 8 Hrs Practical.
    As For My Own Opinions On The Issue; I'm A Class A Cdl Driver With A Perfect Driving Record. We Own Three Class 8 Trucks At The Moment And I Drive On My 48 Off. It Amazes Me That We Will Make Everyone Else Learn To Drive And Be Tested To The Practical Level And Depts. All Over Turn New Guys Loose With Little Or No Official Training. It Is Bad Enough Many Of These Folks Have Never Driven Anything Bigger Than The Family Car But To Not Train These Folks To Respect What They Do Is Reckless. I Do Not Think Fd's Should Cdl License Their Members. It Would Be A Huge Financial Burden And A Logistics Nightmare To Keep Current. I Do Beleive That A Standard Training Program Would Be Very Beneficial. Make The Grade And Pass The Course Or Don't Drive. Maybe It's The Lack Of Respect For Pushing A 40,000 + Lb Truck As Hard As It Will Go That We Have The Fatality Rates That We In The Fire Service Have Seen? I Have Seen Cdl Drivers Do Dumb Things But Its Not From A Lack Of Training And Knowledge. At Least They Know How To Do It The Right Way Wether Or Not They Do It..
    Here Is A Little Test. Ask All The Guys In The Station One At A Time By Themselves. What Is Brake Fade And What Causes It. Half Of My Guys Knew The Answer. One Thought It Was Caused By Too Much Sun Exposure. Scarey Huh.

Stay Safe.

In Michigan, you are required to have a regular driver's license and to have completed a 16hr driver's training class for firefighters as part of FFII. The Chief must then "certify" you to the state.

My dept requires the new guys to go through the"rodeo"-the EVOC set of standard maneuvers, backing into a dock, diminishing clearance lane, serpentine forward and backward, etc. We then require them to do 10 hrs of driving in each rig before they are off probation-1 year. They also drive one day per swing during the last 6 months of probation, under supervision of course.

Once you hit the 1 year mark, you are a qualified driver. That means the senior guy on the rig doesn't want to drive, you do. There is no further drivers training.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Post NC requirements

North carolina decides what class license you need by the vehicles GVW and number of axles. Most fire apparatus requires a Class B (non CDL) for operation and any trailered apparatus requires a Class A. Some career departments go one step further and require a CDL B as a minimum and a CDL A for all areial operators. I carry class B CDL's by choice, but our department only requires a non CDL B for promotion to Engineer.

Never insult a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes....then when you do insult him, you have his shoes and are a mile away!

Forum Member

In wilson,nc we are required to have a class B license along with the pump and aerial class series. Also emergency vehicle driving course.

MembersZone Subscriber

CA you need a Class B Firefighter restricted as a min. Plus you need any applicable endorsements such as air breaks and/or tank. If you are going to drive an apparatus with a manual transmission you have to do your drive test in a manual transmission or it is a restriction on your license. Tiller being a combination vehicle requires a Class A FF restricted. The tests taken are the same as for a commercial license but the difference is in the medical exam requirments. CA also has two driver/operator courses, one for emergency vechicle operations and the other for pumping. All this being said, it depends on the dept you're at as to what they should be doing and what the are doing. I have a buddy that works in a dept with a tiller and mum is the word regarding the Class A thing. Liability will be the word when they get into an accident with it.

Forum Member

tillers are the guys on the back driving, right?

Thread Information