Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas leaks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gas leaks

I'm a line officer in a very rural department and was just wondering what techniques the other departments are using when handling gas leaks, some questions I had were:

Number of apparatus that respond?
    Number of personnel operating inside the strucuture?
    What monitoring tools are utilized?
    Do you pull a hand line, what actions do you take?
    Do you advise the homeowner on actions to take?

Thanks

Mike

Are we talking about natural gas, propane???

All gas leaks in a building are a full structural response of 2 engines, a ladder and a tanker/tender.

If it is propane we shut the tank and notify the supplier. If it's natural gas and it is on the house side of the meter we shut it down at the meter and notify the gas company.

It its leaking from the meter or on the street side we evacuate an area and notify the gas company with a rush.

All leaks are investigated with multi-gas meters by crews in full PPE.

Resident is advised of the findings and we turn them over to the gas company upon their arrival for further technical explanation/education.

Default depends

that depends on where the leak is.

Inside the structure we shut down the power close the meter valve ,open the widow, and wait the the utility folks to show up.

Outside we will run a line and evacuate the niebours. Again wait for the utility.

We don't have much propane here (lucky). Wth that we will evacuate a larger area, and look out for the down hill side.

We don't have detectors yet.

The utility has people on standby 24/7, They usually get there 10 minutes after us..

MembersZone Subscriber

Once you get the detectors, please make sure that your members know how to use them. I went to an attempted arson at an apartment complex and listened to the interior team officer tell me how it was OK to go inside the building because, since his meter was reading 15%, it was above the upper flammable limit of natural gas and it couldn't explode.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Once you get the detectors, please make sure that your members know how to use them. I went to an attempted arson at an apartment complex and listened to the interior team officer tell me how it was OK to go inside the building because, since his meter was reading 15%, it was above the upper flammable limit of natural gas and it couldn't explode.
    George - I am guessing that his meter was reading 15% of the LEL? Right?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information