MembersZone Subscriber

Default vol. dept. billing in NY

We are 100% vol. dept. in New York State. A few members have been throwing around the idea of billing for our EMS/fire services. Looking for input on the subject..... pros, cons, paperwork issues, etc.....

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Questions

1) Where do you get your funding from?
    2) What control does your city/town etc have on the dept.
    3) Have you really thought through the idea, and what impact it might have on your relationship with your community?
    4) Have you thought about just charging for bs call etc. Not for real emergency's???

Just a few thoughts. I know it is done in some states, might try google and see what you come up with.
    IACOJ Lt-Eng32ine

Forum Member

I'm not sure where the law is located, but my understanding is that a volunteer fire department cannot charge for EMS. My old department on LI kicked this idea around a few years ago to try to cut down on the taxi rides but then the idea of this law came up. It also didn't go over well in the local paper.
    From what I've heard, this only applies to VFDs, but not paid FDs, volunteer ambulance corps, or private ambulances.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sponge
    I'm not sure where the law is located, but my understanding is that a volunteer fire department cannot charge for EMS. My old department on LI kicked this idea around a few years ago to try to cut down on the taxi rides but then the idea of this law came up. It also didn't go over well in the local paper.
    From what I've heard, this only applies to VFDs, but not paid FDs, volunteer ambulance corps, or private ambulances.
    sponge is right. FD's can't bill. the solution? create a seperate agency (instead of xyz FD, xyz VAC). even if it is just on paper. you can even have all personnel be a member of both agencies. I'm not entirely sure how exactly NYS has their rules are, best to check with your dept's attorney to find the actual rules.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information